Kanako Murakami Story | Golden Skate

Kanako Murakami Story

volk

Final Flight
When you have been around sports long enough, you develop a sixth sense when you encounter a special individual, be they an athlete, coach or executive.

That's how I felt when I saw her. There's definitely something special about her.

sigrid

On the Ice
Yeah I felt the same when I saw her skating in the 2008 Madrid JGP, she finished in 3rd, and her talent was already outstanding

It's funny to read that she wants to be a good coach asap

BackStage Barbie

On the Ice
Her personality, on and off the ice, reminds me a lot of Mirai Nagasu. I would love to see the two of them skate clean, head to head, I think that would be really interesting. On another note, I remember reading that Kanako truly idolizes Mao Asada and was completely beside herself when she placed ahead of Mao at NHK. I can't imagine what that must be like for a young skater to realize they have reached the same, if not a greater level, than their idols in the sport.

miki88

Medalist
Her personality, on and off the ice, reminds me a lot of Mirai Nagasu. I would love to see the two of them skate clean, head to head, I think that would be really interesting. On another note, I remember reading that Kanako truly idolizes Mao Asada and was completely beside herself when she placed ahead of Mao at NHK. I can't imagine what that must be like for a young skater to realize they have reached the same, if not a greater level, than their idols in the sport.

I don't think she feels that now. There was an interview where she said she feels she has closed the gap a little with the veteran skaters. I think she's pretty realistic about things and knows that a lot of the skaters are not performing to their potentials this season.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I really like Kanako. I know she is still young - and has room for improvements.......
But the year after the Olympics typically does not have the best skating and Kanako is FUN.

Her enthusiasm makes me root for her - and her next two events will be interesting . I have no idea how she will do at the GPF or Natls but I wouldn't bet against her.

Sometimes the young skaters feel less pressure.....

All this talk about her being too cute is really strange. This girl is a good skater - fast across the ice with some huge jumps. And she is a good dancer who brings her choreo to life.The cute part is just a bonus and worth nothing if you can't perform well when it counts.