Men - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26, 10:50 am EST | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26, 10:50 am EST

burntBREAD

Medalist
Right. Should have done that. He could have easily tacked on a 3T. Now he's in fifth :disapp: which jeopardizes his chances at making the GPF.

I know! I don't understand when skaters tack on combos after a bad jump-- the combo is the biggest point-getter in the SP and you should make it as high-quality as possible, I know that some skaters like Mirai will put the combo on their second jump if their first jump is two-footed or something

janetfan

Match Penalty
meh - what a bunch of disappointing SP's.....hope the LP's have a bit more sizzle tomorrow.

ranjake

Final Flight
Thanks for the updates, guys. Is there a link to the results page? Looking forward to watching it later.

wallylutz

Medalist
I know! I don't understand when skaters tack on combos after a bad jump-- the combo is the biggest point-getter in the SP and you should make it as high-quality as possible, I know that some skaters like Mirai will put the combo on their second jump if their first jump is two-footed or something

Because he did a 4t+1t = jump combo already. Repeating an element will lead to the 3Lz => 0

burntBREAD

Medalist
Because he did a 4t+1t = jump combo already. Repeating an element will lead to the 3Lz => 0

No, I meant why he decided to put the 1T after the bad landing of the 4T instead of leaving it for later-- though I guess maybe the judges would have given him more -GOE because they mgiht have thought he would get the combo deduction?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Yeah, big mental mistake. Should have left the 4T alone and then tacked on the 3T after the 3Lz. This cost him big time.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Highlights for me was Chafik and Taka. Florent's jumps were great otherwise I felt his program was a little empty. He front loaded his program with jumps. To me it was like he was checking off his elements and doing nothing in between other than his spins and footwork. I don't know his program just did not sing for me. JMO

He is a great technician though.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Yeah, I came in with high hopes, then they were dashed when not ALL of the top men skated clean. The very best competitions are when *everybody* skates clean, and you win! :)

That's why the Mens was so exciting for me at the Olympics ~ the top ones skated clean SPs ~ which set them up nicely for a neck & neck LP. You didn't know whom was going to win, whereas the Ladies was already over before it began. Jmho.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BRIAN & KEVIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! BRING IT ON & SKATE C-L-E-A-N IN THE LP!!!! BRING YOUR QUADS AS WELL!!!!!! :party:

herios

Medalist
Right. Should have done that. He could have easily tacked on a 3T. Now he's in fifth :disapp: which jeopardizes his chances at making the GPF.

Jeopardizes??? His chances were slim to begin with in the first place. he has jeopardzed them in his first event already. Now, he is really toasted.

wallylutz

Medalist
No, I meant why he decided to put the 1T after the bad landing of the 4T instead of leaving it for later-- though I guess maybe the judges would have given him more -GOE because they mgiht have thought he would get the combo deduction?

He was obviously trying to do more than just a 1t since single jump isn't even allowed as part of a jump combo in the SP. Since he didn't fall on the 4t, leaving it as it is and then do the 3Lz+3t instead means his 4t become the solo jump and was not preceded by connecting steps as required, therefore, will likely attract -3 across the board, which he wouldn't necessarily if he completes it as a combo, albeit, he would need at least a 2t. It's all split second decision, you can't blame a skater like Joubert for having to make up his minds within seconds like that since it's obviously so much easier to be an armchair critique but not so when it's you who is down there in the rink.

wallylutz

Medalist
If Brian had fell on his 4t, he would naturally want to add a 3t to this 3Lz, makes every sense as the 4t will most likely be -3 GOE anyway. Also, when he didn't fall on the 4t, he needs to also consider that he may not land his 3Lz or land it well enough to make it into a jump combo with 3t, hence the strategy is to always get your jump combo out of the way ASAP and the fact he didn't fall on 4t means logically, he should try to do the jump combo there. He is a veteran skater, he knows what he is doing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Chafik Besseghier was the best. He can really goes places in the future. France has a deep Men's field!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Zoltan: I liked him. He's got some expressivity and I thought there were moments in the program quite cannily choreographed.

Chaffik: Worried about the lp given how tired he seemed by the end, but that was some debut. I love the diversity of the French team (*I know)

Peter: Really liked that. Sucker for the blues.

Anton: Not good. Interesting to go from one program that displays a keen understanding and respect for the foreign idiom it's using (blues) to one that doesn't (ragtime). Least favourite program thus far

Nan: Music was a little too big for him, I thought, but he acquitted himself admirably. Requiem for a Dream works only if you're able to capture the relentless, overpowering intensity - Cappellini/Lanotte managed to, but even great skates to it (Verner in 2007) aren't really well matched to the music. Interesting nonetheless.

I thought the first group was quite good. Liebers had the best program, Besseghier the best performance.

Florent: Looked surprisingly nervous with Morosov . But this is clearly his "Star is Born" year. Not a great program, but he skated it superbly. He might be one of the few skaters currently competing that can convey rage on the ice.

Kevin: He's such a timid skater. Like his improvements, needs more before I'll really enjoy him. I also presume something was DGed because he took an eleven point hit on TES as compared to SC.

Brandon: Another timid skater. Also boring program.

Takahiko: Eh, not nearly as good as last year's SP. It's all right.

Brian: If he was as good as he is physically attractive, he'd be one for the all time lists. Such as it is, I gotta give him props for stretching himself this season and for working his butt off to keep the theme going throughout even when he was struggling with the elements. I hope that Florent repeats as national champion again, but I also would like to see this program at Worlds, so hopefully he's there.

Overall, my favourite program was still Liebers.