Ladies - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26: 12:45 pm EST | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Short Program- Fri. Nov. 26: 12:45 pm EST

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, I believe she's in 7th which means she won't even be part of the final group for the FS. Wow. Fastest decline I've seen since Meissner. Then again, she (Asada) was in the same boat last year and she got her act together quick enough to win the Olympic Silver so who knows.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Watch it happen now ;)

Though I still want Mirai to make the GPF! :scratch:

I do too but I'm worried. Mirai seemed to be breathing pretty hard at the end of her SP (it's hard for me to tell watching on webtv). I think stamina due to her lay off from injury was a factor in the LP at COC. I hope she's had time in the weeks that followed to work on endurance-and consistency!

Mirai had little bobbles on her last few spins, and her layback probably didn't get the +2/3s this time, it was a little slow, traveled, and had a bobble at the beginning

IA and I also thought some of Mirai's jumps were a little iffy as well as her usually solid spins.

I think Csizny may yet surprize and Mao could definitely still at least win the LP. I'm fond off all the skaters in the final group (especially Mirai) and I wish all the ladies in the competition some good skates in the LP. :)

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
To be perfectly honest, Czisny does nothing for me, the only program I liked of hers, not loved, was her Swan program. She reminds me of Kira Korpi, both physically lovely, nice technique on the jumps when on, pleasant overall skater, but vanilla in the end. That doesn't mean they don't have what it takes to win competitions, obviously they do, but I'm not a big fan of either one. However it's not just them, there are way more skaters that I'm apathetic about versus the ones that actually pique my interest. I can count on one hand the former.

So good for Czisny, Korpi, or any one of the others if they win or land on the podium, but hopefully whomever does so actually does it with a 7-triple LP without falls or bobbles. That alone will perk me up & cause me to cheer, same goes for the guys (except I would add a quad where the guys are concerned)!

As for Mao, knowing what she is capable of, including a flutz or slightly downgraded 3A, makes it all the more hard to see what she is going through this year. She caught my interest the past two seasons because first & foremost of her 3A (my favorite jump for the ladies!), but also because she has the overall complete package as well, including beautiful posture, pointed toes, lovely spins, nice footwork, fast speed when she's on, lyrical quality, drama when she's "on", and to top it all off her personality complemented her skating; she was a skater I could love both inside & out. But I still say she eventually needs to play both the White Swan & the Black; she has to be both: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jaI1XOB-bs

I actually really enjoyed Mao's "Bells of Moscow" routine at the Olympics, it's my favorite. I still remember the feeling I got watching it live on t.v. when she landed first one 3A, then the second one, I thought my heart was going to burst out of my chest, and I wanted to run around the block a hundred times. I felt empowered as a woman. Then came the heartbreak of the 3F, the caught edge before the aborted last triple jump, knowing she was capable of so much more. Yet the d-r-a-m-a hasn't left me, that's the best she ever *performed* it imho. She could've scrapped that routine after the bad reception it got, she could've scrapped the 3axels all together, and brought back all her old triples, even with the bad technique on some, and she probably would've done better (not beat Yuna Kim of course, but gotten a better score). But, no, she went & forged ahead with only a few triples she was consistent with and which wouldn't receive bad edge calls, et al. My respect for her went up tenfold, especially now when she chooses to rework technique despite calls from some (including Phil Hersch) that it is no longer necessary. She walks her own path, no matter the consequences, she walks her own. For that she has my complete & utter admiration moreso than all the lady skaters put together. She might not make it, but her sheer determination & will to do it her own way has me her all-time fan.

zoozle

Spectator
BTW, Where does it say that Mao wanted to beat Yuna's scores? I've never actually like read it, I've just heard it. I only know her goal is Sochi, so I don't think that she needs to be defended-- she knows. She's fixing these jumps now because she knows she's going to need them to be good if she wants to win again.
i don't know where you can find it, but she said that at the press conference right after the olympics. i saw that on tv and was surprised to hear what she said. just for your info.

joy k.k

Rinkside
i don't know where you can find it, but she said that at the press conference right after the olympics. i saw that on tv and was surprised to hear what she said. just for your info.

It was right after the Olympics. I believe Mao said she wanted to beat Yuna.
Then she was asked what she would do if Yuna retires after the Olympics.
She said even if Yuna retires, her score remains, so in that case, she wants to beat Yuna's highest score.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was right after the Olympics. I believe Mao said she wanted to beat Yuna.
Even if Yuna retires, her score remains, so in that case, she wants to beat Yuna's highest score.

Well, the rules have changed and there's less opportunity to rack up scores (no more spiral sequence, 1 less spin, etc.) so it may be impossible to beat Yuna's top score in the current environment. Even Yu Na would be unlikely to hit 70 in the SP under the new rules.

R.D.

Record Breaker
post #184

Damn, I miss that feeling...I remember every time US nationals or Worlds was on, the adrenaline would start flowing. At least I got to experience it again briefly at this year's Nats. We need a serious rivalry/contender group that will heat things up.

Nadine, I remember how I felt through that final flight of the Vancouver Olympics, and you put it into great words. All the ladies made me feel exhilarated, but especially Mao and YuNa, who were at their best. What an amazing feast they gave us! Just about the best event in the entire skating array (except of course for Virtue and Moir's Mahler program.)

I feel that a skater with Mao's talent (people on here have frequently pointed out that she and YuNa are exponentially ahead of anyone in third place) won't just dissolve into mediocrity. Kimmie was a different case: her loss of skill came because of many factors, including a growth spurt. But Mao is beyond the years where such a situation is likely to occur. She was also better to start out with--by miles. She has deliberately taken herself apart to rebuild her technique. It's a tremendously gutsy move, but if anyone can make it pay off, it's Mao.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's great that Mao is willing to do what it takes to be a complete skater. And not only that she's willing to be vulnerable to the public so she can compete. Most skaters try to hide their flaws, but Mao has been willing to humble herself before the public and compete with the best technique she has even if that means losing podium placements. I fully expect a comeback from her.

BlackAxel

Final Flight
<whole post>

Your post reminded me of what a truly wonderful skater Mao. She is a COMPLETE skater and when she is ON, I think she is unbeatable. As a fan of Mao Asada, it is extremely difficult for me to have to see her struggle in her short and long programs. However, I think she made the right decision to change her technique now rather then keep her technique. While it is painful to see her pop and fall on her jumps, it would be much more PAINFUL to see a newbie jumping bean with all 7-triples and no artistry (take your pick of the current top Junior skaters) beating Mao down the line at Sochi.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I think it's great that her fans are thinking long-term here. Now, as a nonfan of Asada, I just see where she is now and think of what a hot mess she has become just mere months after landing TWO 3A's in the Olympic freeskate to take Silver.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
She is overscored - no lutz, no flip and a bobbled loop....

Mirai flutzed really badly. I would have taken -3 across the board for her flutz. She, too, has no lutz.

On Universal Sports, they said she flutzed. You can see clearly she was from a deep inside edge at take off. The other two jumps seemed clean on replay, though.

I would put her behind even Alissa because both made major error on their "lutz"

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mao forsook a full aresnal of triples and huge GOE during the season she needed them most, although the established rules made the advantage obvious. She was about to fix her flutz (didn't get a call on her lutz at Worlds 09) & claimed the 3S was an easy jump she avoids as a matter of preference. Their omission, then, must have been guided by her own will, not ISU slamming new rules into her face from behind. GOE was always what it was. No rule changes up till 2010. It's just that her jumps lost the quality & consistency to garner huge points. Edge calls and UR? I wouldn't say Mao was "blindsided" since other skaters knew early enough to start fixing their technique during the off season before 07-08, something Mao opted out of. Again, a matter of choice.
Mao flutzed, used to do 3flip-3loop, 3flutz, 2A in the SP, 2 flutzes in the long.
ISU changed the rule in 2007-2008, so she got -2 to -3GOE.
That season, she did 1 flutz in the SP, 1 flutz in the LP.

ISU also cracked down on UR, so her 3x3s were gone by 2009.

Just then ISU changed the rule for flutzing, so now the Russian girls who flutzed worse than Mao got 0 or -1 GOE. Mao's already started fixing her flutz, so that jump became so unstable for her. She could just keep the flutz and get 5+ points for it NOW.

Mao was never cheated by the ISU. She's making all these sudden changes because her goal is Sochi gold & the Russian phenoms are growing to be heavy, 7-triple, GOE-garnering threats (and there's so much talent that at least one will break through). This season will be difficult, but it's something she's enduring because she has a clear goal & the determination to push through. Enough with all this ISU-attacking-innocent-skaters prattle. It really annoys me (those stupid Youtube clips :disapp:)

It was quite obvious her efforts so far are due to catching up to ISU rules which have been changed every season. If you don't follow ISU rules, you won't get the gold in Sochi. So, logically she's cheated by ISU.

cjsk8fan

On the Ice
Mirai flutzed really badly. I would have taken -3 across the board for her flutz. She, too, has no lutz.

On Universal Sports, they said she flutzed. You can see clearly she was from a deep inside edge at take off. The other two jumps seemed clean on replay, though.

I would put her behind even Alissa because both made major error on their "lutz"
If I am not mistaken, Alissa got an "e" call for both her flips.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
If I am not mistaken, Alissa got an "e" call for both her flips.

Yep, every one of her flips done (both SP and LP) got an edge call. The tech caller went wild on edge calls during this competition. Four edge calls in the SP and nine edge calls in the LP.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I did not see the protocols so I did not know Alissa's flips were called. On TV, they looked fine. I would still put her ahead of Mirai in the SP.
In the end, the standing are correct, although Mirai's score should be a lot closer to Alissa.