Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kim to skate at 2011 Worlds: Press release

gourry

Final Flight
OMG!!! This is really exciting news! That was alot faster than I expected!
Giselle!! It's not another tango!!!! Yay!!! It will so refreshing among all those tango pieces. :biggrin:
Giselle could be a challenge for her since it is her first ballet number and those nitpicks on her toepointing and turnout will be on full force.
But I'm not that worried.;) I'm just totally thrilled with the idea of new side of Yuna.
And homage to Korea.... The Queen wants to introduce us all where she is from. Ahhhhh... sweet and touching.

About the Worlds becoming her first competition, I'm not that worried as well. Yuna is not the kind of skater who used competitions as a test-run. Whenever she'd debutted her program, she has been ready for the last four years. Why would it be different this time?

wallylutz

Medalist
j/k...I know what you mean, and I agree with your logic. I would have liked for her to go to 4CC at least to try her programs out, get a little warm-up, and see how receptive the judges and audience is to them, but I kinda trust YuNa knows what she's doing when she's choosing to do it. Well, I am a fan, afterall. Check out my avatar. :cool:

Yes, but this is worrisome:

For further information, please contact

Hee-Sung Koo
All That Sports

Helen Choi
All That Sports

I don't think either of these two + 1 who shall remain nameless have any clue how this sport works and they just think Kim is a rock star holding a concert in Tokyo. :sheesh:

wallylutz

Medalist
I understand what you're saying, but since success on the GP doesn't ensure success at Worlds, that's the very reason that not doing the GP should not be an insurmountable barrier to doing well at Worlds.

The winner of the ladies GPF has not won Worlds since Irina in the 2004-2005 season. This season, no one has won in particularly dominant or impressive fashion this season on the GP for the ladies.

She needs the mileage, winning the GPF or not. When was the last time a woman won the Ladies World Championship without doing any GP at all? I can't remember, it must pre-dated CoP I believe.

gourry

Final Flight
She needs the mileage, winning the GPF or not. When was the last time a woman won the Ladies World Championship without doing any GP at all? I can't remember, it must pre-dated CoP I believe.

Not so sure, maybe Michelle Kwan?

And I don't think it is her goal to WIN the Worlds. She wants to show her new programs with good performances to audience and her fans. And by the way, for the last four years, she did show quite good performances at her program debuts.
If she wins anything in the way doing so, which happens to be quite possible in this case, it will be just an added bonus.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
And I don't think it is her goal to WIN the Worlds. She wants to show her new programs with good performances to audience and her fans. And by the way, for the last four years, she did show quite good performances at her program debuts.
If she wins anything in the way doing so, which happens to be quite possible in this case, it will be just an added bonus.

Quite honestly, I don't think she wants anything else except winning. If her goal is to solely be with her fans, she could add more appearances, shows and skate those two programs - hell, it wouldn't surprise me if she manages to gather more people watching on TV than Worlds by doing that. Even if her goal is not to win, it will still look bad if she doesn't skate well especially because she has broken up with Brian Orser. Korean media will be all over her with speculations as to why she doesn't do well and tie it to Orser, one way or the other, you better believe it - if not for the fact that she always had Orser by her side in the last 4 years in her 1st competition of the year. She will be testing something new in March and without Orser as well - now that will be new to her, very new.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I also would like to see her again but just don't think you can really debut at worlds and win it. Maybe I am just not aware of a precedent where someone has done that.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Maybe I'm a little blind when it comes to Yu-na, but I give a :disagree: to all nay-sayers. After two disappointing Worlds, Yu-na now knows how to peak at the right time (says Christina Gao) & care for her body. She also has nerves of steel & a strong sense of determination and competitive fire, which will motivate her until March. Her technique is also one of the cleanest & most consistent amongst the current crop of ladies, so IMO technically she's safe. She doesn't even need to include the 3Lo if the ladies continue their streak of lackluster skating, and even if she stumbles, she will still be better than what I've seen on the GP circuit so far.

Then again, I expect Miki to peak by Worlds, making her a strong contender. Mao may return. Joannie might, as well. Blades has a good podium. I'm not saying Yu-na will waltz into Tokyo & clench gold, but bombing is the last thing on my mind.

cosmos

On the Ice
It is still possible for her to go to 4cc. YuNa is very careful about what she says. She never say positively if there is even a small chance she can't keep what she says. Now, since she said she would go to the worlds, she will definitely go. About 4cc, she said, "I'm not sure. Probably I won't be prepared until then." So, if she is prepared until then, I think she will compete in 4cc.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
...she comes to a point after she does her first triple lutz – triple toe and skates around with a freedom in her movement that looks really beautiful. There is true joy and freedom in her movement and skating...

Can't wait for this part.

gourry

Final Flight
Quite honestly, I don't think she wants anything else except winning. If her goal is to solely be with her fans, she could add more appearances, shows and skate those two programs - hell, it wouldn't surprise me if she manages to gather more people watching on TV than Worlds by doing that. Even if her goal is not to win, it will still look bad if she doesn't skate well especially because she has broken up with Brian Orser. Korean media will be all over her with speculations as to why she doesn't do well and tie it to Orser, one way or the other, you better believe it - if not for the fact that she always had Orser by her side in the last 4 years in her 1st competition of the year. She will be testing something new in March and without Orser as well - now that will be new to her, very new.

Her goal is 'showing good performances to her fans', so why should her make more appearances when she feels not ready? I mean, what is the point to have many of poor showings a la Asada this season(no offence) when your goal is to show good performances? Isn't it better to prepare enough until you feel comfortable and ready and then go even if it means just one showing? (I'm pretty sure she will reuse her programs again in her ice show next year for more showing anyway.)
So we seem to disagree on one thing: does she need more competition to have a great performances at the Worlds? You seem to think it is an absolute necessity. I don't know. But if she feels she won't be ready until 4CC, then that's it for her. And I say it again that Yuna is quite capable of great first showing.
About Orser, well........ I don't think he is that much of a motivation for her. Korean media is pretty much over with Orser when he revealed her program information.
She won her first international novice medal without Orser. She won her Junior Worlds without him, and won her first Senior competition without him as well. She managed to accomplish many things without Orser. Sure, next Worlds will be new to her, but I'm not that worried about that either.

Last edited:
She managed to accomplish many things without Orser. Sure, next Worlds will be new to her, but I'm not that worried about that either.

Maybe Yu-na will do for Peter Oppegaard what she did for Orser -- vault him into the ranks of the most sought-after coaches. :)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Hey Wallylutz, always love reading your insightful posts but have to disagree with you on this one. You are basing your opinions on your past experience with figure skating history, yet Yuna is someone who has a track record of break trends with her numerous first to xxx (insert a long list of records and achievements), so why not given her benefit of doubt and reserve your judgements until then?

If anyone who has a track record to surprise and defies the odds, perhaps her past reliability and consistency could count for something. The truth is nobody can really know what would happens at WC2011 but then no body expected the ladies standard this season would be poor either after such a great showing at the Olympics.

Johnnnn

On the Ice
Yes, but this is worrisome:

I don't think either of these two + 1 who shall remain nameless have any clue how this sport works and they just think Kim is a rock star holding a concert in Tokyo. :sheesh:

What is wrong with you? Why all the negativity? It looks like you want her to skate bad at worlds.

Oh wait a minute. You are the one who wants to mark Yuna harshly because she broke up with Orser.

That explains it lol

If you are referring to her mom than you are a very ungreatful person. Who do you think made who Yuna is today? geez.

Last edited:

wallylutz

Medalist
Hey Wallylutz, always love reading your insightful posts but have to disagree with you on this one. You are basing your opinions on your past experience with figure skating history, yet Yuna is someone who has a track record of break trends with her numerous first to xxx (insert a long list of records and achievements), so why not given her benefit of doubt and reserve your judgements until then?

Even when Michelle Kwan skipped GP, she still did U.S. Nationals. So Worlds is never her 1st competition. I cannot recall a case in my 20 years with the sport that a man or woman has won the Worlds as their 1st competition of the year, not in the modern era of the sport, not Ito, Stojko, Plushenko, Yamaguchi, Sato, Petrenko or Browning. My question is not can Kim do it. She obviously has the potential to make this happen. My question is: "Why is she doing this?" Going to 4CC will only help her, not hurt. 4CC is 3 months away, she really won't be ready in 3 months after her programs are already done and she is in training? What's the point of intentionally making it harder than usual? there is really no bonus for hardship, that's why my question. Hence, I question this decision, based on my years of experience, is again taken by someone who knows almost nothing about this sport but who is otherwise measuring Yu-Na's time in terms of $ signs and other things she could do that could make $. I see this happened to Michelle Kwan, which I think in part explained her downward spiral towards the end of her career and she started to do less and less competitions except U.S. Nationals and Worlds. I guess that's why I am a little surprised that Kim seems to be making the same mistakes Kwan did and that is concerning in my view.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I agree with wallylutz, debuting at a big competition is a big risk: I'm not doubting that Yuna has the capability to skate very well (and probably could skate at like 80% and still win with the state of thing sright now), you don't know how well your programs are going to received, and lack of competition (see Sasha Cohen at 2010 US Nationals; well received SP, LP...not so much) can come back to bite you. 4CC is in Taipei, though, which is close/far depending on where Yuna will be at that time.

Maybe doing Giselle says that Yuna points her toes now? :love: That'd be great!

gourry

Final Flight
Hence, I question this decision, based on my years of experience, is again taken by someone who knows almost nothing about this sport but who is otherwise measuring Yu-Na's time in terms of $ signs and other things she could do that could make $.

I'm sorry but you totally lost me here... :scratch:??? What do you mean? Your assumption only makes sense when Yuna actually spends her time on making money other than competing or practicing (or just living her life). Do you have some sort of inside information that Yuna will do some kind of CF shooting or filming, or another ice show in this winter...? Where is this $ remark coming from???
You really seem to have some bad image about Yuna's mom and I have to disagree on that.:no:

Anyway, back to topic. I'm really excited to know about Yuna's music choices and can't wait to see her!! Yay!

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by wallylutz
Hence, I question this decision, based on my years of experience, is again taken by someone who knows almost nothing about this sport but who is otherwise measuring Yu-Na's time in terms of $ signs and other things she could do that could make $.

I'm not sure how you can suggest a parent who has been as intimately involved in her daughter's training as Mrs. Kim has been, knows nothing about the sport. I'd suggest that at the very least Mrs Kim would know what it takes for Yu-na to be prepared.

As for whats going through Yu-na's head, I agree it would be smart to do Four Continents ,and maybe she will. But maybe they feel Four Continents is to close to worlds. In general, I don't think Yu-na taking time off is necessarily a bad idea, if Kim is thinking about going long term to Sochi. I.e it gives her a chance to save her body etc. Perhaps though they want to do Worlds this year, not only because they think she can win (and thinking she can win isn't unrealistic based on what we've seen) but also to earn more sports for Korea. Now if Yu-na thinks she can only do Worlds up until Sochi, I think she has another thing coming because some of the talent in Juniors will be challenging. But if its just taking a breather thing, I don't think its necessarily a bad idea. Remember Yu-na's country is dependent on her to earn spots for their ladies, so she doesn't necessarily have the same luzuries others have for taking off.