Rochette to skip figure skating nationals | Golden Skate

Rochette to skip figure skating nationals

herios

Medalist
So IOW, she's out for the season. But didn't we know that already?

No, she did exactly what Lysacek did, Joannie said she will not enter GP events, leaving all the other options on the table.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No, she did exactly what Lysacek did, Joannie said she will not enter GP events, leaving all the other options on the table.

ah, we all just assumed this would be the outcome. I don't expect Evan to be at Nationals either.

herios

Medalist
ah, we all just assumed this would be the outcome. I don't expect Evan to be at Nationals either.

Of course not, they all do the same thing. At least Weir said he takes of the whole season off at once, not mailing them in in bits and pieces.

jaylee

Medalist
Though this may not be a surprising announcement, but I'm still sorry to hear that it is official. I will miss her skating, but I'm happy that she's doing what makes her happy. She deserves it after her dedication to the sport and the success she's earned, not to mention how she has handled herself off the ice. I wish her well.

Of course not, they all do the same thing. At least Weir said he takes of the whole season off at once, not mailing them in in bits and pieces.

Well, I can understand why many skaters don't commit themselves either way so early. Who'd want to close the door on a skating season when skating represents so much of one's time and energy? I imagine that it must be hard to imagine one's life without the framework of the competitive season, especially if one's last competition was so wildly successful as Joannie's and Evan's were. Heck, Elaine Zayak came back when she was 28 to give it another try. And she came in fourth in Nationals, didn't she? I guess it becomes part of one's brain chemistry.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Well I expected such since she committed to the SOI tours, but too bad. From what we've seen in JO, she could be sweeping everyone off their feet at the moment.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, I can understand why many skaters don't commit themselves either way so early. Who'd want to close the door on a skating season when skating represents so much of one's time and energy? I imagine that it must be hard to imagine one's life without the framework of the competitive season, especially if one's last competition was so wildly successful as Joannie's and Evan's were. Heck, Elaine Zayak came back when she was 28 to give it another try. And she came in fourth in Nationals, didn't she? I guess it becomes part of one's brain chemistry.

Thanks, Olympia. I find it puzzling that fans get so upset when a skater says "I'm still deciding, all of my options are still open." It shouldn't be a big deal if they want to take their time to see if they still have it in them to deal with so much pressure. Maybe Joannie was leaning all along toward skipping nationals but she has every right to keep in open in case she changes her mind. Sorry, I like Johnny just fine, but I don't think he is a big hero for making his mind up earlier. And don't be shocked if he announces he might try for a comeback next year or later but is still deciding... and like I said, it's his right.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sorry, I like Johnny just fine, but I don't think he is a big hero for making his mind up earlier. And don't be shocked if he announces he might try for a comeback next year or later but is still deciding... and like I said, it's his right.

He's already said that very thing. He's only taking this year off, but that he misses competing. It's in the latest, already outdated, IFS magazine.

russell30

Final Flight
:eek:Pity, was to be expected from Joannie, but she seems in good shape and with Mao out of sorts and who knows with Yu Na at worlds :unsure: PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN HER BEST SHOT OF BECOMING WORLD CHAMPION!!!

herios

Medalist
:eek:Pity, was to be expected from Joannie, but she seems in good shape and with Mao out of sorts and who knows with Yu Na at worlds :unsure: PROBABLY WOULD HAVE BEEN HER BEST SHOT OF BECOMING WORLD CHAMPION!!!

It crossed my mind too. An extra push and she would be there.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ Huh! It just hit me reading these three last posts how wide open worlds could be. Course, Yuna will be the favorite - it'll be interesting to see if we get a glimpse of her programs on many practice reports in the run-up.

I expect Yuna to be in superb shape. But if she's not.....

A guess Miki will be the favorite but if she falters ... jeez Rachael could be WC or Kiira or Murakami ....:eek:

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
^ Huh! It just hit me reading these three last posts how wide open worlds could be. Course, Yuna will be the favorite - it'll be interesting to see if we get a glimpse of her programs on many practice reports in the run-up.

I expect Yuna to be in superb shape. But if she's not.....

A guess Miki will be the favorite but if she falters ... jeez Rachael could be WC or Kiira or Murakami ....:eek:

It not that bad... but if I were forced to put money on Worlds, I'd go with Miki. Based on the GP, I'm not sure if Mao will even make it out of Japanese Nationals and at the risk of a contract being taken out on my life, I would be shocked if Yuna simply showed up at Worlds and won. Yes, she's awesome - but come on... seriously? I just don't see it. I do, however, expect Mirai and / or Rachel to make some noise and finish on the podium. But we shall see...

Layfan

Record Breaker
It not that bad... but if I were forced to put money on Worlds, I'd go with Miki. Based on the GP, I'm not sure if Mao will even make it out of Japanese Nationals and at the risk of a contract being taken out on my life, I would be shocked if Yuna simply showed up at Worlds and won. Yes, she's awesome - but come on... seriously? I just don't see it. I do, however, expect Mirai and / or Rachel to make some noise and finish on the podium. But we shall see...

Yes, you are right. Miki is looking like the favorite right now.

mariposa

Rinkside
Getting back to Joannie and her absence from nationals...I wonder what the podium will be without her??? After watching Cynthia at this season's GP, I have some doubts about her becoming the next champion. She seems a little tenative. Lacoste seems to have a bit more "fire" and determination than before and is skating well. Samson had a lovely skate at her last GP..As for Szmiett-who knows? Then there's DeSanctis, who's been skating well early this season, Charbonneau can do it if she's on...any thoughts? Oops! I almost forgot about Dube.. Did I forget anyone else?

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am very surprised that Joannie isn't going for that record titile. I always thought she was very determined to get it and assumed it would be her swan song. The GP just hasn't been the same without her.