The Beginning Moments of a Program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Beginning Moments of a Program

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
I like DomShab opening for compulsory tango 2010. His position and face expression, then her leg up! And then a hot tango with kicks.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBKVPThQv90&feature=related

I always liked DomShabs openings for most of their CDs. But the tango is one of my favourites as well. The expression at the beginning and throughout the dance really suited the CD.

For this season, I really really like Kavaguti/Smirnov's LP opening, where they just stand there and the music plays for about 12 seconds, and you can just admire the music. I always found Clair de Lune lovely. For me, that really helps create the ambience of the entire LP, especially when it is so peaceful at the beginning.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I don't mind entrances to center ice as long as it is not overdone. What I really hate is when skaters skate around for 10 second and it takes them too long to get into position. Actually what I really, really hate are pairs/dance teams who discuss the skate after they are done while they are still on the ice. That is what the kiss and cry are is for.

I loved K/S from their short. K/S short

Although I did kind of laugh when S/S said '****' after their LP at TEB last year, they looked stunned. (5:05) S/S long

Last edited by a moderator:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The opening to a program can be essential. If the movements are unique and full heart then it sets up a mood and an idea which automatically endears the viewer for the remainder of the performance. Especially in CoP, where more time must be spend performing technical elements, it can be wise to structure a program such that most of the non-technical choreograpghy is mainly contained to the beginning, middle, and end of the program. Like Billy Wilder said, a great movie is 3 excellent scenes and no bad scenes.

I feel that Kozuka had the best opening to his LP at this past Olympics. So much vulnerability and sensitivity. Weir's 2007 LP at Nationals comes to mind as one of the most evocative openings ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwVMGxe_NvY

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Weir's 2007 LP at Nationals comes to mind as one of the most evocative openings ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwVMGxe_NvY

This was the season that I had put so much hope on him. I liked both his SP and LP of that season and thought if he tried harder, it would have been his breakthrough year, just like Jeremy Abbott's this year's SP. But the sad thing was that he said afterwards that he didn't feel the click with the program. I have to conclude that he was unable to take a different route in his skating style. In fact, after 2006-07 season, he's even shrunk into the center of his comfortable zone and never came out again.

Back on topic. I love this program very much, and agree that it has an unique opening.

mousepotato

On the Ice
No entrances are not scoreable, bows are not either. However, I'm sure skaters can leave a bad taste depending on what they do but it's not reflected in the score.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
No entrances are not scoreable, bows are not either. However, I'm sure skaters can leave a bad taste depending on what they do but it's not reflected in the score.

I think Joe is talking about the introductory choreography where the skater is settling into the program, not the time between announcement of name and taking the starting position.

If he's talking about the announcement to the taking of starting position, then the rule has been changed in the 2009-10 season that a skater has exactly 1 minute to take their starting position from the time their name has been announced. Prior to 2009-10, that time was 2 minutes.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think Joe is talking about the introductory choreography where the skater is settling into the program, not the time between announcement of name and taking the starting position.

If he's talking about the announcement to the taking of starting position, then the rule has been changed in the 2009-10 season that a skater has exactly 1 minute to take their starting position from the time their name has been announced. Prior to 2009-10, that time was 2 minutes.

I guess I misunderstood what the OP meant (see post below, the words intro to the program must have thrown me) I though he was talking about the choreagraphed entrances being judged. I'm not sure why anyone would think the first few moments of the program aren't scored. They are judged from the first movement of the skaters (not the first beat of the music)

You know, that opening with no tricks as an intro to the program.

1. Is it judged?
2. Is it required?
3. Is it time limited?
4. Is it an intro to what is to come?

I don't think it is necessay, but it is an aide for the skater's nerves. Some of them are quite clever and others are run-of-the mill.

What do you think of them?