What if Fumie had used this program at the 2006 Olympics | Golden Skate

What if Fumie had used this program at the 2006 Olympics

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think if Fumie Suguri had used this program at the 2006 Olympics instead she could have won a medal that night, maybe even the silver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo7_cLG8oCI

This program is so much better artistically than her boring Olympic season free program was. Also notice how much higher her PCS for this program were than her boring Olympic LP, even though this was early in the COP with the scores still not building as high as they would in later years.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the day, it actually mattered whether you could do one of each triple (it really doesn't today). Fumie never could.

In the Sasha era, leg and body line were even more important than they normally are. Fumie's was always marginal, particularly in spins and spirals.

It was never about her program, so this program wouldn't have helped.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Personally, I loved Fumie's LP in 2006 - it was original and showcased her core talent. But Doris is spot on: different time, different criteria.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If the program doesnt matter why were her PCS so much better for her 2004 program than her 2006 one, and the way scores were escalating under COP at that point they would have been even higher for the exact same performance by 2006 gauranteed. And whereas in Turin she couldnt even outscore a 2 fall Sasha with a doubled triple in the LP, at the GP final in 2004 she easily outscored a 2 fall Sasha with a botched triple loop in the LP

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In 2004 to 2006, the whole scoring business in COP was in flux. 2004 was the first year it was used for Worlds, AFAIR?

MKFSfan

Medalist
2005 was the 1st time COP was used at Worlds.

I do think had Fumie skated this program with a few modifications to her spins, spiral and FW (meaning done COP friendly like she did in 2006), she would have been on the podium. I liked Fumie's '06 program (especially as skated at Japanese Nationals) but I think the way she skated this program, at the GPF in 2003-04 was a better choice for her, and she really did a nice job! I haven't watched it in a while, but IIRC, she did 6 triples, although bad landing on loop, probably UR, a really nice 2ax out of a back assisted spiral and 4 jumping passes after the midway mark, including a 3f/2t as her very last pass.