Miki Ando's quad Sal | Golden Skate

Miki Ando's quad Sal

Miki Ando recently landed a quad Salchow in winning the Japanese junior championship. Also a clean 3Lutz/3T.

According to Francois at the MK Forum

http://pub165.ezboard.com/fmichellekwanforumskatingchat.showMessage?topicID=10533.topic

this performance put her ahead of

(2) Mai Asada, who did a 3F/3T,

(3) Sawada, with a 3L/3T AND a 3-Axel, and

(4) Mao Asada (age 14?), who did a 3Lutz/3Loop/3Toe combination.

Here is a link to the video of Ando's performance, from Cruella de Kwan's site. (Click on "other skaters," then Miki Ando on the drop down menu. Please download -- do not stream.)

http://jimandmaryjo.com/MK/index.html

Is it time for the American ladies to throw in the towel?

Mathman

nymkfan51

Medalist
Oh, I don't know Mathman ... I'd like to see what the rest of their programs look like ... and ... if they can land these combos in the big international competitions.
If the rest of their skating is good, and they land these jumps too ... than yes ... the U.S. ladies better get a move on!

Vash01

Medalist
Miki Ando landed a triple lutz-triple Loop (not toe), and the quad salchow. That is quite a feat!

Vash

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Wow the quad sal was so quick i thought it was a triple! Unfortunately all her jumps (in the clip) were extremely cheated. She'll get dinged big time for that in COP.

thvudragon

On the Ice
Her 3lutz/3loop is usually always landed cleanly, with only prerotation on the loop(it's not getting dinged on the CoP). Her 4sal though, was cheated a total of 1/2 revolutions counting prerotation, so it probably would have been downgraded to a triple under CoP. Of course, this would depend on how picky the caller is i think.

Fossi

Final Flight
Heck, if some of Irina's 3/3's and 3/3/2 were ratified, I see no reason that this one wouldn't be.
So proud of this little jumping bean. Go girl! These ladies are on fire!
So, she is the first female to land the quad sal? What will Sasha do? Has she attempted any quads this season?

Nadine

Record Breaker
Needed to say this...

I'm seriously just biding my time until Miki Ando appears on the International Senior Scene next year......was hoping that would be this year.......but then remembered she won't turn 16 until the 18th of this month. And therefore it would have been silly for Japan to let her loose this season, especially taking into consideration those in line above her (aka 22 yr. old Fumie Suguri, 21 yr. old Shizuka Arakawa, 20 yr. old Yoshie Onda, and 18 yr. old Yukina Ota). No, better to come bursting onto the scene next year and be done with Juniors forever. JMHO.

By the way, I've been waiting a loooooong time for these two (aka Miki Ando & Carolina Kostner) and am hoping they don't disappoint next year. I would like to see something akin to the days when Midori & Tonya were competing ~ FULL THROTTLE! :love:

Peace & Love, Nadine

WARNING: SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER!!!! (8^OOOOO

P.S. Carolina Kostner didn't disappoint this year ~ she came through after all (YIPPEE) ~ her first year on the international senior circuit and she was the only newbie amongst Liang, Rochette, Ota et al to medal her first time out. Joining the likes of those rare individuals such as Sarah Hughes, Jennifer Kirk, Tara Lipinski, Kristi Yamaguchi, Debi Thomas, and Elaine Zayak. :)^)

:love:KICK A** NEXT SEASON, MIKI!!!:love:

Modified to add: lol, meant "kick", not kiss. lol, lol, lol :D

Last edited:

CassidyL

Rinkside
Mathman said:

Mathman

Not quite yet. There are reports out of Malmo that Danielle Kahle was doing 3Axels in official practice yesterday. Many falls, but 2 landed with just a step out.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Originally posted by Mathman

One thing can change everything.......

Injuries!

Dizzy

skatepixie

On the Ice
Ill believe it when I see it. Miki's "clean quads" last season werent exactly clean, nor were they quads.

Smiley0884

Rinkside
skatepixie said:
Ill believe it when I see it. Miki's "clean quads" last season werent exactly clean, nor were they quads.

Her quad at the JGPF last year was 100 percent clean. However her quad at Japanese jr. Nationals was 1/4 cheated. But she has a beautiful and fully rotated 3lz/3lp, and she's also been doing the 3A, 4 toe, and 4 loop!!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
There is a lot more to skating then jumping. Of the Japanese ladies I have seen on the senior circuit the past few years, only Fumie Sugury and Yukina Ota have the artistry to match the technique. Now, I am not saying the Japanese lladies are not very strong; I think this may develop into an interesting US vs. Japan battle, the way we've had Russia vs. Canada in pairs.

Also, I hope all those jumps do not lead to more injuries a la Lipinksi. I would rather see those ladies have long careers than land a few sensational jumps early on.

thvudragon

On the Ice
skatepixie said:
sorry....wrong. The quad at JPGF was cheated. By about an 1/8.
That's considered clean. There's few skaters out there who don't cheat their jumps with prerotation. Even excluding prerotation, a jump cheated 1/8 on the landing, is considered clean, and good, IIRC.

TV

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Anyone know what she's done this year? I was just looking at picks from practice at the Jr. Grand Prix Final. Could be wrong, but it looks like she's done some growing. I wonder if that will affect her ability to turn in the air.

http://www.jgpfinal2003.se/ - click on pictures and scroll down, if interested

Nadine

Record Breaker
tharrtell said:
Anyone know what she's done this year? I was just looking at picks from practice at the Jr. Grand Prix Final. Could be wrong, but it looks like she's done some growing. I wonder if that will affect her ability to turn in the air.

http://www.jgpfinal2003.se/ - click on pictures and scroll down, if interested

Great question, tharrtell! :)

WARNING: SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER!

Miki Ando dominated the JGP series, winning ALL of her events in superior style (ala 3/3 combos. et al)........not surprising.........and is the favorite at the JGPF scheduled to take place in the next few days.

As regards your other observation, I say "a wee bit".........I do know for a fact that she grew 6" in the 2001/2002 season alone (shot up from 4'8" to 5'2").........and since then I have noticed that she has grown an additional 1" (per her bio over on the ISU site). Also, it appears that she has grown in terms of muscle mass, especially in the thighs (which most likely is a primary contributor to her being able to do quads & 3/3s). Quite surprisingly though she still has retained her tall/lithe figure, which I prefer to see (ala Baiul, Hughes, Arakawa, Kostner) b/c I feel it gives one an aesthetically pleasing appearance on the ice. Personal preference only.

***Note: love the gold blades btw - remember reading that she started wearing them after seeing Irina Slutskaya's - cooool.***

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Thanks, tharrtell, for the pics.....lovely......first time I've ever seen the USA girls. Must say that, to me, it appears that they still have A LOT of growing yet to do - still look like children.

:love:GOOOOOOO MIKI!!!:love:

mpal2

Final Flight
How sad...I'm in the 5th level of hell, all wrathful and gloomy :( Must be why I'm feeling so cranky lately. :laugh:

I hope to see some great competitions between the Japanese and American ladies. It looks like some of our greatest on-ice rivalries will come from within each country first and then they get to duke it out amongst each other internationally. I wonder who will make it as the spoilers in the otherwise dominated field.