Ladies Short Program | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Indeed. She is no longer the Alissa two or three years ago skating so slow that I felt like having an urge to push her from behind. Her basic skating skills have improved significantly to my eye. With the faster speed, her jumps become more secure.

I totally agree! That's why this season more than ever I am in Alissa's corner. I have felt for so long now that she needed a coaching change to have any chance to improve her results and her skating skills and Yuka and Jason are doing a fabulous job with her. I think being in the same training atmosphere with Jeremy and Meryl is helping Alissa too as they have developed good friendships together and being around such high level talent can only be good for Czisny too. It pushes you to be better and work harder when you're in the presence of such elite athletes, particularly those who are not your direct competitors. I'm so happy for Alissa and wish her a strong LP outing and hopefully a stunning Nationals as well. :love:

Last edited:
Sorry to be so particular, but I think you mean 2005 worlds, when Carolina beat Michelle to the bronze medal. Michelle was 3rd to Carolina's 5th at 2004 worlds. And I think you also mean you are not a big fan of Miki, and not that she is not a big fan of you (who knows, if she reads the forum at goldenkate, she may very well be a huge fan of yours!)

Agree with your sentiments, Carolina looked great. She performs this music with much more gusto than Kimmie did back in 2008. I am also no big fan of the Kanako SP, it's a bit silly, but she has all the buzz right now and I think she's got a good chance of winning this, if Caro and Alissa stumble in the LP (as they have been known to do). I expect minor LP comebacks from Rachael and Miki, but I don't know if it will be enough to push them onto the podium.
Yes, you are correct about the Worlds 2004 and Carolina was 3rd. Worlds 2003 was Shizuka, Sasha and Michelle.

btw, I liked reading your impressions of the Ladies. Something for me to think about.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
From where I sat watching in the arena, I did not agree with the placements of the SP that had Suzuki in fourth place--she was underscored. I would have had her in 2nd or very close 3rd with Kostner. Definitely ahead of Murakami. Makes me wonder what's in those protocols.

--Alyssa was just marvelous--a gorgeous program, done well. Everyone in the arena was holding their collective breath to see if she'd get through all those jumps unscathed (her headcase reputation precedes her, lol). I was sitting near a small group of Russian fans during the Sr Dance, Men, and Ladies competitions, and Alyssa was the ONLY skater for which they gave a rousing ovation and lusty cheers after the performance. Dare we all hope for a clean program tomorrow....

--Suzuki was On, and my feeling is that she can and should out-PCS Ando every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not sure why judges seem to feel opposite. Thought her score when it came out was low--I was expecting at least a 60.00.

--Kostner skated well to a very pretty program. She did a good job but the tech content isn't there. Kudos for doing a triple-triple, which keeps her competitive through the SP at least. She looked relaxed for a change. I am glad she stayed upright, but thought her 62.13 mark was a tad generous.

--Murakami. I just don't see what the hype is about this girl. The program is too cutesy for me, though it works for her at this stage in her career. The second half of it starts to grate on my nerves. Even with the 3-3, thought she was a bit overscored. She's got some ugly jumping techniques, also. Her other elements aren't as good as Suzuki's, but she's the new Judge's Pet. :rolleye: The saccharine-and-bubbles routines will hopefully be retired by Team Murakami after this season, otherwise she's going to start to look a little silly. I would agree that she skated better than Ando and Flatt at this competition.

--Ando--Looked "off" even at warm-up. Tech elements aren't gelling for her tonight. Trying to be musical but it seems forced. Is this new music? I don't remember it from CoC. Somehow I don't see her roaring back in the LP tomorrow.

--Flatt: A mess and very slow, she also looked "off" but I assume it was due to injury. I like her new look but I don't like this program. Crowd not into it at all, it's like she's the warm-up act to the main competition. Ouch! Injury aside, I can't help but think that she would have benefited incredibly by moving to another coach about 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Short Program Results

1. Alissa Czisny 63.76
2. Carolina Kostner 62.13
3. Kanako Murakami 61.47
4. Akiko Suzuki 58.26
5. Miki Ando 50.45
6. Rachael Flatt 45.19

:eek:

Not exactly what I would have predicted, but this is only 1/3 of the event anyway.

janetfan

Match Penalty
From where I sat watching in the arena, I did not agree with the placements of the SP that had Suzuki in fourth place--she was underscored. I would have had her in 2nd or very close 3rd with Kostner. Definitely ahead of Murakami. Makes me wonder what's in those protocols.

Thanks for the Live report - both of them - and glad you enjoyed the skating.

Several posters thought Akiko was underscored - and as much as I like her I did not see exceptional jumps or spins and not sure if she is even interpreting the music during the steps as well as she normally does. I like her LP better and still think WSS is better than this season's "Fiddler."

I have no idea who will win tomorrow - other than to say the one who makes the fewest mistakes.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks for these live impressions! Very informative! lol at the "every day and twice on Sundays!" phrase -- just the phrase itself is funny, I'm not gloating about Ando, whom I like very much as a tech skater. Nice to hear Alissa got such a reaction from an otherwise reserved group of spectators.

From where I sat watching in the arena, I did not agree with the placements of the SP that had Suzuki in fourth place--she was underscored. I would have had her in 2nd or very close 3rd with Kostner. Definitely ahead of Murakami. ...
--Alyssa was just marvelous ... I was sitting near a small group of Russian fans during the Sr Dance, Men, and Ladies competitions, and Alyssa was the ONLY skater for which they gave a rousing ovation and lusty cheers ...

--Suzuki was On, and my feeling is that she can and should out-PCS Ando every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not sure why judges seem to feel opposite. Thought her score when it came out was low--I was expecting at least a 60.00.

--Kostner skated well to a very pretty program. She did a good job but the tech content isn't there. ..

--Murakami. I just don't see what the hype is about this girl. The program is too cutesy for me, though it works for her at this stage in her career. The second half of it starts to grate on my nerves. Even with the 3-3, thought she was a bit overscored. She's got some ugly jumping techniques, also. ..

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alissa has now 5, count them 5, super skates in the international Grand Prix, why on earth does she have to prove herself a Worlds contender at non-international US Nats? If she wins this (possible) and 3rd place at US Nats, very sad.

as much as I love Alissa, let's not forget she still has the long and could still bomb due to pressure. Sure, she can contend - but how often in her career has she really stepped up?

LisaS

On the Ice
Yes, you are correct about the Worlds 2004 and Carolina was 3rd. Worlds 2003 was Shizuka, Sasha and Michelle.

btw, I liked reading your impressions of the Ladies. Something for me to think about.

You are a year off, Michelle won Worlds in 2003 in Washington. 2004 was when Shizuka won, and 2005 Slutskaya won.

ranjake

Final Flight
Are there any youtubes of the ladies yet, especially Alissa? And thanks for all of your reports, too.

Layfan

Record Breaker
She will not bomb.

:clap:

Yey Alissa!!!!!!!!! I've only just now read in and I haven't even seen the programs but I'm thrilled for Alissa and for Caro. While they may not be perfect so far this season are showing why they are still in the game.

With Alissa, I'll take each good skate for her as they come and I'm not going to spend one minute debating or brooding over how she'll do tomorrow. Every time Alissa skates it's a gift for fans - especially when she is clean.

R.D.

Record Breaker
She led after the SP at US Nats, right? And then the FS was not exactly overwhelming. I think she has peaked in this competition and it's down from here on out.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:clap:

Yey Alissa!!!!!!!!! I've only just now read in and I haven't even seen the programs but I'm thrilled for Alissa and for Caro. While they may not be perfect so far this season are showing why they are still in the game.

With Alissa, I'll take each good skate for her as they come and I'm not going to spend one minute debating or brooding over how she'll do tomorrow. Every time Alissa skates it's a gift for fans - especially when she is clean.

Yes, if Alissa, Caro, and Akiko end up on the podium tomorrow in any order, I will be absolutely thrilled! :yay:

What was Akiko's spin? hair cutter? Biellmann? looked strange.
she's not, imo, a spinner. No sure what that layback is and her Bielman rotates almost one turn. bleh. But her speed is noteworthy and when she connects the jumps to the speed, it is super.

ranjake

Final Flight
Thanks for the youtube, Surfer- that was so lovely. I loved the look on her face when she was done- I'm proud of her.

I know she's fallen apart in the free so many times in the past; but she does seem faster and her technique seems better- fingers crossed. I just love watching her.