Ladies Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short Program

janetfan

Match Penalty
Well yes, I think there is a line to be drawn between cheering for/against someone and wishing for someone to get hurt or die. It's not the same thing- or at least I don't look at it that way.

Is it true that in Russia once - maybe '05 Worlds - that Russian fans were chanting for Sasha to fall? Or is that just another urban skating legend :laugh:

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
By the way, this phenomenon (schadenfreude) is much stronger in groups than in individuals. :cool:

Let me steal steal some of seniorita's thunder by saying "schadenfreude" does not translate into English. :)

Although I am not surprised such a word is of European origin :p

oleada

Record Breaker
Although I am not surprised such a word is of European origin :p

What is that, some kind of Nazi word?
It's German for "happiness at the misfortune of others"
Wow...that is German!

(Sorry...I am unable to talk about Schadenfreude without talking about Avenue Q)

The opposite of schadenfreude is the feeling, "There but for the grace of God go I."

I just looked up the origin of this phrase and found:

The story that is widely circulated is that the phrase was first spoken by the English evangelical preacher and martyr, John Bradford (circa 1510–1555). He is said to have uttered the variant of the expression - "There but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford", when seeing criminals being led to the scaffold.

He didn't enjoy that grace for long, however. He was burned at the stake in 1555.

...giving the condemned prisoners a hearty laugh, no doubt. :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
win.

I will consider changing my mind when seniorita tells us that she was not against Evan. :eek:
But even then I will believe that as much as her crazy English lesson

i was not rooting against Evan to get hit by a bus, get injured or crash. :eek:Not in Worlds 2009, neither Olys or GpF. But I rooted for about 10 at least skaters besides Plush to win over him in Olys. I just dont like his skating at all. Isnt this human?
And my english is better than your greek, thank you:)

Layfan

Record Breaker
MM- at least for most regular sports fans, it's not about wishing the opponent or rival dies or gets injured (although if the latter does happen, sympathy may not exactly be pouring out)- it's about rooting FOR YOUR team to win. Everyone wants a victory, or even the chance to laugh at the rival's fans and say "Told ya!"- but no one wants to see blood.

No, not blood.

But, as you have already said, there is plenty rooting AGAINST in other sports. Like in this year World Cup - The Irish fans were rooting AGAINST the French, as the French knocked the Irish out of contention and there was a controversial ref call involved.

So, during their broadcast of the Mexico-France game, the Irish TV commentators wore sombreros. The Mexicans won. :cool:

Dubliners celebrated by drinking tequila shots until dawn.:party2:

Figure Skating is a more personal sport that others, let's not pretend it's not. It's one person - or two - out there by themselves in skimpy outfits being judged. So, it's not surprising that some fans/sports writers want to be gentler. This seems to be more true for the women - again let's not pretend otherwise. It's not taboo to root against Evan. Some seem to consider it taboo to root against Rachael.

^ The way I see it, the difference between figure skating and sports like soccer is this. In soccer, there is defense. Not only do you try to score yourself, but you also try to stop the other guys from scoring. If this means flopping convincingly in front of the referee -- well, that's sports. Hooray for the home team.

In figure skating there is no way to interfere with the other competitors' performances, except to sabotage their skates before hand or try to injure them in warm-ups.

Other than that, each skater must approach the competition with the mind set, "My rival will skate his best. I must skate even better."

To me, it is the same with fans. All we can do is cheer our heads off for our favorites, and cheer less lustily for the ones that are not. :yes:

mot

On the Ice
In figure skating there is no way to interfere with the other competitors' performances, except to sabotage their skates before hand or try to injure them in warm-ups.

Other than that, each skater must approach the competition with the mind set, "My rival will skate his best. I must skate even better."

To me, it is the same with fans. All we can do is cheer our heads off for our favorites, and cheer less lustily for the ones that are not. :yes:

I totally agree.

Shizuka Arakawa wrote in her book that figure skating is not about winning or loosing against your competitors, but it is about whether you can deliver what you've set out to deliver.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ The way I see it, the difference between figure skating and sports like soccer is this. In soccer, there is defense. Not only do you try to score yourself, but you also try to stop the other guys from scoring. If this means flopping convincingly in front of the referee -- well, that's sports. Hooray for the home team.

Good point. in team sports you sort of have to root against the opposite team. But still.... even in those sports fans want a good game. you don't really want your team just to win because the other team was awful.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ True. Even in the case that the home team completely blows out the visiting team, sometimes you see people getting bored, and fans leaving early.