Men's Free Skate - 12/11 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men's Free Skate - 12/11

Quad was introduced in men's skating more than three decades ago, successully landed more than two decades ago. It became one of the feature of men's competitions. Girls are sticked with triples. That's girlish.

I agree with this. When a man does a quad-triple combo, he is a manly man (quad) who is not afraid to get in touch with his feminine side (triple). :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I agree with this. When a man does a quad-triple combo, he is a manly man (quad) who is not afraid to get in touch with his feminine side (triple). :)

:rock: :rock:

When Mathman dazzles us with numbers, he is the Math Man, who is not afraid to be in touch with his funny side. :)

I think Bluebonnet is probably Chan's mom.

So am I, evidently. There are so many Moms here, including Pangtongfan, evidently. Unfortunately some Moms think deriding other skaters is their motherly duty. :eek:hwell:.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I don't detect any personal "attack" or anti-gay sentiment on his part. It's about a conduct he found unprofessional and disrespectful to the sport he's in and tries to represent well....Johnny has been really "flamboyant" and extreme in his attires these days. In eagerly seeking attention, he's bound to attract negative ones as well...He's done enough public denouncements of Patrick already...My counsel for you, since you seek one, is to observe each person on his own and by his actual deeds and decide for yourself. If others' opionions are important, consider, on the whole, those of the people who have actual relationships or at least interactions with the person.

What constitutes "unprofessional" and "disrespectful" is sometimes subjective. To me, for instance, Jeremy Abbott's yelling "I love Kung Fu" at the kiss-and-cry was annoying, and Florent Amodio's crotch grabbing was disrespectful to my eye. Would Chan consider a female skater wearing a flower crown unprofessional or disrespectful? It is all about stereotypical gender roles or maybe Chan's own insecurity of his gender image, isn't it? What he said about Johnny could apply to himself as well. One could easily argue that his interview remark was "unprofessional" and certainly "disrespectful" to another skater. "Live and let live" is a value that I treasure deeply. Although under the law he has the freedom of speech, Chan surely would lose many fans if he continues to make remarks that hurt others even if he believes he is protecting the sport. I have had multiple experiences of being yelled "Go back to your country" by total strangers who obviously were not afraid of speaking their mind and who probably believed they were protecting the commonweal. Is Chan so different from them? I will say "no" if he keeps on hurting others with his insensitive frankness.

Do you know Johnny in person? How do you know his extreme attire was out of an attention-seeking motive? It's your assumption, isn't it? Based on what? Common knowledge? Do you hold a doctoral degree in counselling or clinical psychology? I bet you don't, or you would not have jumped into that conclusion. There are many alternative explanations. For instance, biker gangs wear leather vests to proclaim their affiliations, running the risk of drawing the police's attention. Is Johnny's dress a way of his proclaiming his affiliation to a certain group that he is not ready to say? I don't know. I do know, however, that some people dress in a certain way to reflect their mental stage yet without the attention-grabbing desire. Could Johnny's extreme attire was simply his longing to live out of the "box", the stereotypical framework that defines how a man should behave, or simply his expression of his messed-up life (He just broke up with his "lover" and lost himself as he said in the recent CTV interview)? Attention may be an unwanted by-product. I am not him, so I don't know.

Yes, I indeed sought counsel. And you have helped me a lot by providing a link to Matt Wells' interview and by giving me some new perspectives. I have no intention of changing others' opinions. In fact, when I said I needed counselling, I meant I was hoping that someone like you whose insight is well-respected by me could change my opinions. I really appreciate your help. Your posts have been always highly regarded. As I said it before and I will say it again, I am really happy that you join the forum.

seniorita

Record Breaker
When a man does a quad-triple combo, he is a manly man (quad) who is not afraid to get in touch with his feminine side (triple).

Lol
, I spitted my fanta:laugh::laugh::laugh:!
I vote this the post of the year, is it too long to fit for my custom title?:biggrin:

Edit:***I m still laughing:laugh:***

Last edited:

stickle

Rinkside
You shouldn't have "light body demeanor" when you are skating to Phantom of the Opera. That is BAD interpretation. Patrick Chan hardly understands the anguish and solitude of the music. Takahashi's performance at 2007 Worlds was FAR ahead of Chan's here at the GPF. That PCS mark of 87 is ridiculous (it's a new record in PCS for a single men's skater, I think). Chan's skating does not have emotional maturity, nor does he have creative content. He has a lot of transitions but those transitions are almost meaningless within the scope of the program. They don't serve the music or an overall choreographic idea or really even create a striking image on their own. They are simply extra movements.
Thank you for your objective rebuttal of my comment. It's so nice that you are completely open to having reasonable discussions about Patrick's skating and performance abilities, especially since you're the expert on what is good and bad interpretation and you know more than the expert judges what his marks should be. :cool:

stickle

Rinkside
... I got what he meant really was that Plushenko was "old school" regard scoring. But suddenly he became the arrogant kid blasting his seniors. He defended Buttle against Joubert's open criticism. A bit rash, yes, but he was 18 and what he said was true and proven right: you didn't need a quad to win and if all you had were quads, you better bring them in your program.

Videos have since shown Patrick and Joubert having a pretty good relationship. Patrick told Kurt in Torino how happy he was to see Joubert came back and happy again but that was hardly viewed or talked about.

...What puzzles me is how Johnny gets away with so many quarrels with and catty comments about other skaters whereas Patrick's every word gets such negative spins and harsh judgments?
Not only what Johnny gets away with puzzles me SkateFiguring, it's also why Patrick gets all the hassle when guys like Joubert and Plushenko said some pretty negative stuff about other skaters but that was considered ok. It's all right to say that Buttle and other non-quadders didn't deserve their medals but it's not all right to say you disagree with that statement? Something's upside down in this picture. :sheesh:

I don't see any point in criticizing a skater's personality. There are many types of personalities in Men's Figure Skating: Candeloro, Weir, Yagudin, e.g., as well as Buttle, Joubert, Eldridge. Two types: Extrovert and Introvert. I enjoy them for what variation they bring to the ice.

Not so with the Ladies, who, imo, tend to be all the same with few exceptions.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Sasha never succeesed. Miki did once and good for her and for the women's skating.

No, because a spiral was never a typical feature of girls' skating.

I was kidding - but haven't we read how Yags and few others used to make fun of Plushy for the "girlie" catch foot?

Yes we did - and you brought up this ridiculous point.............:disapp:

And what nonsense that spirals are not part of Ladies skating :eek:

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Plushenko's catch foot spiral was the ugliest move in men's skating. To me, this move does belong to ladies.

amateur

Final Flight
It's worth mentioning that in the short program, Dai had higher PCS in Performance and Interpretation, with Chan taking the rest.

As for Chan's transitions adding nothing to the overall program, I disagree. I think the spread eagle before the 3F-3T combo is a rapturous delight of a moment. It worked better when it was a lead-in for the triple loop, but I still like it.

As for me, I marvelled at the entrance footwork into his second triple lutz, and transitioning from there to the spin following it... that is great stuff, and well-done to the music. I think his programs are choreographed in quite an interesting way, taking into account his considerable abilities and really pushing them... he just needs a little more emotional maturity/experience or whatever you want to call it to really make the moves "sing" in a program.. but cut him some slack (I'm saying this in general, not specifiaclly in reply to the poster I'm quoting) - there is so much difficult stuff there, it's normal that he's going to be concentrating on just getting through it, and not going to come off as mastering it all with pure style this early in his career!

stickle

Rinkside
ImaginaryPogue said:
It's worth mentioning that in the short program, Dai had higher PCS in Performance and Interpretation, with Chan taking the rest.

As for Chan's transitions adding nothing to the overall program, I disagree. I think the spread eagle before the 3F-3T combo is a rapturous delight of a moment. It worked better when it was a lead-in for the triple loop, but I still like it.

As for me, I marvelled at the entrance footwork into his second triple lutz, and transitioning from there to the spin following it... that is great stuff, and well-done to the music. I think his programs are choreographed in quite an interesting way, taking into account his considerable abilities and really pushing them... he just needs a little more emotional maturity/experience or whatever you want to call it to really make the moves "sing" in a program.. but cut him some slack (I'm saying this in general, not specifically in reply to the poster I'm quoting) - there is so much difficult stuff there, it's normal that he's going to be concentrating on just getting through it, and not going to come off as mastering it all with pure style this early in his career!

Great posts. There is so much more to a skater's program (not just Patrick's) than just jumps and I for one am glad the system rewards innovation and style and difficulty and extraordinary skating talent.