Should the USFSA give Alissa Czisny a ticket to Worlds after being GPF Champion? | Golden Skate

Should the USFSA give Alissa Czisny a ticket to Worlds after being GPF Champion?

russell30

Final Flight
Should the USFSA give Alissa Czisny a ticket to Worlds after being GPF Champion?

I was thinking and I know about the strict protocols of the USFSA in terms of the World team being chosen by placements at the national championships. But IMO Alissa Czisny should be given direct entry to World's after being GPF Champion, she surely is looking top five at the moment in terms of World Level (and she is the best at the moment for the US) and then who ever becomes US champion has the right to go to World's along with Alissa.

Alissa is pure Class (grace and beauty is back there since the 6.0 system:biggrin:, along with Kostner and Korpi this year)

Who else agrees?

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
My guess is, not a free ticket. But I think she has earned roughly a 10 point cushion over the other girls.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm not pooh-poohing the topic but there are too many threads where this question is being discussed.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Even after nationals there is over a month until the worlds. So even if you do well at nationals in January who knows if that person will still be good in late March. So either way nationals is an old barometer! So you might as well just go with a winner of a big international competition like Czisny at the GPF.

herios

Medalist
My guess is, not a free ticket. But I think she has earned roughly a 10 point cushion over the other girls.

That will be padded into her PCS marks by the judges at US Nationals for sure, and if she will have a decent skate at the Nationals, most likely will do the trick for her.

We should let Alissa bask in well-deserved glory for at least one day -- but nah. ;)

Coming reluctantly back down to earth from our collective Alissa high, lets take a sober look at where she is and how she got there.

Skate Canada:

Short program.

1. Phaneuf
2. Makarova
3. Zawadski.
4. Czisny (near fall on 3Lz, -3/-2 GOE, otherwise OK.)

Long program

1. Czisny (one fall, excellent overall.)

Who she beat: Makarova (2nd), Imai (3rd), LaCoste (4th), Samson (5th).

Eric Bompard

Short program

1. Korpi
2. Nagasu
3. Imai
4. Czisny (Fall on 3Lz, “e” on F combo)

Long program

1. Nagasu
2. Korpi
3. Phaneuf
4. Czisny (“e” on flip combo, “e” on solo flip, fall on 3T)

Grand Prix Final

Short program

1. Czisny Excellent, no mistakes, all positive GOEs, super PCSs.

Long program

1. Ando
2. Murakami
3. Czisny Very good overall, “<” on flip on combo, stumble on 2A (-2 GOE), could not complete 3T-2T combo.

Pretty good so far, everything considered. Now let’s she what she can bring to nationals.

That will be padded into her PCS marks by the judges at US Nationals for sure...

We'll have to see how it turns out.

But just for comparison, the year (2009) when Alissa won the U.S. championship, and everyone was complaining about inflated PCSs, the U.S. judges gave her 27.77 inthe short program and 60.63 in the long.

In the Grand Prix Final this week, international judges gave her 30.14 and 61.31.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
that probbaly won't be needed. Winning the GPF will give Alissa the confidence boost she needs and very probably win Nationals or at least place second to Mirai. That said, if she is third, it is highly probable that she will make the team and USFSA will bump off whoever places 2nd.

MKFSfan

Medalist
I'm a big fan of Alissa's and would love to see her have a great showing at Nationals and Worlds. I don't think she should get an automatic spot to Worlds based on her Gold GPF medal but I can see that helping not just in PCS marks, but if say Alissa is 3rd at Nationals with a good overall showing and the silver medalist is a newcomer, an unknown with no International experience on the Senior levl.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yes, Alissa will get a spot on the world team if she places in the top two or possibly even medals (unless Rachael skates well and places 2nd. then i don't see USFSA knocking an olympian and someone with two years of world championship experience off the team). Sasha won the GPF in 2003. Nobody named her automatically to the world team.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ Or if Mirai places 2nd :) Let's not be dismissing Rachael's chances of defending her title just yet.;)

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
Although I am over the moon with Alissa winning, I dont think that she should get a spot automatically. Do I want her to go? Oh yes, along with Mirai. But just giving the spot Id have to say no. Although the wait & thought of my dream team not coming together makes my stomach hurt. Not to mention the fact that I will be on a cruise from Jam 23rd til the 28th. So I will be missing the excitement.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Even after nationals there is over a month until the worlds. So even if you do well at nationals in January who knows if that person will still be good in late March. So either way nationals is an old barometer! So you might as well just go with a winner of a big international competition like Czisny at the GPF.

It´s about 2 months between US Nationals and Worlds. Yeah, the US champion (especially in men´s division) has not succeeded that well in Olympics or Worlds.... Neither did Flatt so well in past season (Nagasu was better in 2010 Olympics and Worlds).

yes, Alissa will get a spot on the world team if she places in the top two or possibly even medals (unless Rachael skates well and places 2nd. then i don't see USFSA knocking an olympian and someone with two years of world championship experience off the team).

Being an Olympian with a 7th place finish (at least Nagasu was 4th) is not impressive, in my opinion. And Flatt´s two years of World championship experience is not impressive either, considering she was 5th in her first WC and in the second WC dropped onto 9th place.

It sure will be veeeery exciting to watch how Czisny/Nagasu/Flatt will skate at the Nationals!

Last edited:

Kissx3

Final Flight
As long as she doesn't bomb hard at nationals she's probably on the team. Doesn't even have to have a wow moment, just be comparatively decent. She's on fire internationally this season, American judges will take that into heavy consideration.

russell30

Final Flight
Thanks guys for your thoughts on the start to my thread. I agree with most of you, she has got the confidence, Yuka and Jason are doing a great job with her. Great programs this year. She has the best spins and artistry (judges know that, particularly without Yu Na and Joannie, and Mao in sub-form). So her PCS from the judges will give her a 10 point cushion over the rest. Note me if i am wrong but in her 2 x GP aand GPF final she seems to start very well with luts+toe and flip+toe, she probably needs to work on her 2nd half of her program and as you say a decent performance will guarantee her placement.

Mirai/Asley/Rachael are the likely threats but they can get hammered with under-rotating. So we will see. Yes be exciting. I should imagine the USFSA are proud to have Alissa at the moment. :biggrin:

So many posters are down on poor Alissa. Not because she skated badly, but because she may be setting a trend of using a different method of selecting the US Team for Worlds. Those anti-Alissa fans want a big show at a one time country competition which they believe will let them know who is the 'best' skaters to be part of the World Team. They refuse to allow any consideration other than the one time country to decide on the Team.

I believe it is mostly from skaters who took a fancey to Figure Skating but never skated; have no idea what any competition is all about except medals; can not even think of an excellent skater without medals. Those fans of the one-time country competition do know the Rules of figure skating but they do not feel the anxiety of skaters who want to do and show their best in all competitions. Yes, including the one-time local competition.

However, there is one Regulation which is Official, but not practiced very well - that being the decision to be made by a reviewing body and not by medals - except for the winner of the US Nats.

The Anti review fans prefer a one-time battle for the intensity of the competition, which, imo, does not necessarily select the strongest team for the Worlds albeit it does show who won medals at that comp and only comp. I think the intensity of the US Nationals is already in the battle for first place, which overides the Committee. Those anti-review fans appear to me, to be thinking of their own personal entertainment rather than the sport of the skaters.

Alissa has shown the required strength one needs against a much stronger international field.

chansb

Spectator
I think Alissa should go to worlds. USFSA needs some flexibilities about this issue like Japan.
Isn't it weird If GP Champion couldn't go to worlds?

She's on the podium 3 times this season and finally be the champion. Look at the skaters she had competed this year: Mao, Miki, Carolina .......... every lady has high possibility to be on podium at worlds.

Anyway, How many cases are there in US? I mean the case someone participated in GPF but not go to worlds. I've heard It took a little long time for US ladies to win GPF.

mskater93

Record Breaker
So many posters are down on poor Alissa. Not because she skated badly, but because she may be setting a trend of using a different method of selecting the US Team for Worlds. Those anti-Alissa fans want a big show at a one time country competition which they believe will let them know who is the 'best' skaters to be part of the World Team. They refuse to allow any consideration other than the one time country to decide on the Team.

I believe it is mostly from skaters who took a fancey to Figure Skating but never skated; have no idea what any competition is all about except medals; can not even think of an excellent skater without medals. Those fans of the one-time country competition do know the Rules of figure skating but they do not feel the anxiety of skaters who want to do and show their best in all competitions. Yes, including the one-time local competition.

However, there is one Regulation which is Official, but not practiced very well - that being the decision to be made by a reviewing body and not by medals - except for the winner of the US Nats.

The Anti review fans prefer a one-time battle for the intensity of the competition, which, imo, does not necessarily select the strongest team for the Worlds albeit it does show who won medals at that comp and only comp. I think the intensity of the US Nationals is already in the battle for first place, which overides the Committee. Those anti-review fans appear to me, to be thinking of their own personal entertainment rather than the sport of the skaters.

Alissa has shown the required strength one needs against a much stronger international field.

Actually, I AM one of the people who advocates leaving it as is (letting Nationals decide the World team) and I HAVE skate competitively for the majority of my life. I KNOW what it takes to try and peak at the right time....I know it doesn't always happen because of nerves, illness, or whatever.