up and comers next season | Golden Skate

up and comers next season

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
Look around junior skaters doing well, they were all talked as promising baby for example Adelina,Liza,Zijun and Shoji...

I know some of you like to see new medal contenders when new season begins,however it's really nice to look how a skater grow over summer,too. So,I'd like to know skaters who have a chance to medal JGP or bigger competitions.

As far as I know Leah from USA,Julia from Russia and Satoko from Japan is said to have bright future around me. It's sad they don't allow amature cameraman to take neither pictures nor videos in Japan.

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
Russias best babys:

Eligable for Juniors next year:
Julia Lipnitskaya 6/5/1998
Daria Medvedeeva 7/23/1997
Arina Petrova 5/7/1998
Anna Shershak 6/6/1998
Maria Stavitskaya 9/1/1997

This year were:
Daria Afanasieva 3/6/1997
Alexandra Deeva 5/15/1997
Nikol Gosviani 9/9/1996
Adelina Sotnikova 7/1/1996
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 12/17/1996
Kristina Zaseeva 10/1/1996

So there are some more talents - but to be fair - not in the same league Liza or Adelina were in that age!
Lipnitskaya is one of the best at the moment, but nothing to compare with what Liza and Adelina did last year. Medvedeva is also a talented girl, but with her broken foot, all have to wait, what will happen.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Vanessa Lam from the US may continue to improve. She was the only US lady to medal on the JGP this year, but wasn't given a second spot. I watched a video of her performance, and she looked very good.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Leah Keiser didn't even make it to nationals this season, so I doubt we will see her on the JGP next season. Maybe she could pull an Agnes though and dominate all the local competitions.

Rosa Sheveleva from Russia has some very strong jump technique, her lutz and flip jumps in particular are huge and gorgeous.

Anna Ovcharova had surgery a month or so ago and won't be competing this season, but could be a factor next season. It will be interesting to see whether she opts to compete on the JGP or SGP circuit where she missed out on this season (she will be senior age eligible next season).

I also wonder whether Adelina and Liza will opt to do JGP again next season or the SGP, both can compete on the SGP if they wish but won't be old enough to compete at other senior competitions until 2012-2013.

We will most likely see Gao and Shelepen make the jump to the senior GP next season so it will be interesting to see how they faire there. Both girls have grown up a lot since last season.

Katarina Kulgyeko is also very impressive. She has a 3lz-3t and great spins and lines, as well as a unique style. She was an alternate for the JGP this season so hopefully next season she will actually get to compete!

I'm interested in seeing how Samantha Cesario does at nationals. Her URs looked much improved at sectionals and if she can get past that barrier I can see her breaking the top 10 at nationals, which may put her in the mix for grand prix assignments next season.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I really like Deeva from a video I saw of her early in the season, she is very naturally elegant and mature, it is a pity they didnt give her any assignments this year, they dont promote her at all?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I really like Deeva from a video I saw of her early in the season, she is very naturally elegant and mature, it is a pity they didnt give her any assignments this year, they dont promote her at all?

She is very young and Russia had so many qualified girls for the JGP this season and they usually assign the top girls 2 events right off the bat, so my guess is there just wasn't room. Next season she will probably get JGP assignments though because I assume a bunch of the girls who competed on the circuit this year will move to seniors.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m not sure if it is good that Adelina and Liza would go to seniors in gp while they cant compete in euros, worlds etc, same with Gao , how old is Gao?
I think what Yuna did, that went out in seniors with a bang is better
Lipnitskaya is really nice to watch although her flexibility freaks me out a little, mostly because of what it does to her body.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I m not sure if it is good that Adelina and Liza would go to seniors in gp while they cant compete in euros, worlds etc, same with Gao , how old is Gao?
I think what Yuna did, that went out in seniors with a bang is better.

Christina is 16, turning 17 in March. She was senior ISU championship eligible last season, so I think she most definitely will move up to the senior GP next season, especially if she is assigned to 4CC or Worlds after nationals (4CC seems fairly likely).

Lucky Star

Final Flight

Deeva was one of the wonderbabies when she was about 10, had all triples and looked very promising as well as Nikol Gosviani, they won pretty much of everything in their age group and there were hype about them. But last year Deeva didn't show good results, lost most of her triples, fell several times at every competition and had some health problems, I think that's why she didn't get any assignments. Then she came to Sokolovskaya's group (Ovcharova's coach, by the way, TAT said Anna is OK and already on ice again, not sure if she is going to compete though), started to do 3F and now 3Lz again and showes some good results, I think we will see her next season at the JGP.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I m not sure if it is good that Adelina and Liza would go to seniors in gp while they cant compete in euros, worlds etc,

Worked for Mao Asada in 2005-06. And staying junior worked for Yuna Kim. So either way could be a valid choice.

same with Gao , how old is Gao?

Old enough for seniors already.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I admit I've read about these young phenoms from Russia, especially Elizaveta, but have yet to see them skate in competition. And I don't care to because a.) not only do I *not* want to be spoiled beforehand, but also b.) I wait for them to enter senior competition, the elite level, the big time. Then we shall see if the hyperbole is justified. Until then, I will hold off declaring such & such the SECOND COMING.

That said, I actually can't wait to see new blood on the scene, the senior scene has gotten stale. Nothing new, same ole same old, everybody still doing the same old tricks. And technically ladies f.s. has gone backwards in difficulty to the days of Kat & Roz.

So be it, I look forward to the next one(s), to come prepared & doubled tough. Capture the gold on their 1st try. Knock me off my socks and make me stand & cheer like the old days. No matter whence it comes.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Well I admit I've read about these young phenoms from Russia, especially Elizaveta, but have yet to see them skate in competition. And I don't care to because a.) not only do I *not* want to be spoiled beforehand, but also b.) I wait for them to enter senior competition, the elite level, the big time. Then we shall see if the hyperbole is justified. Until then, I will hold off declaring such & such the SECOND COMING.
I really enjoy watching talented skaters emerge and think it's possible to enjoy their skating NOW without projecting too far into the future. The Junior Grand Prix Final videos are up on Icenetwork now and the JGPF performances of Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamisheva and Richard Dornbush, IMO, are definitely worth watching!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I found myself in GPF enjoying more junior ladies in both phases than senior ladies and junior men more than senior men Lp.

I just watched Richard Dornbush (JGP champ) for the first time. He's excellent - very athletic and fast and possessing a lot of polish, even humor. I was impressed by his flow and confidence. I could really see him going places very soon. Watch out, Armin!

samba

On the Ice
I really enjoy watching talented skaters emerge and think it's possible to enjoy their skating NOW without projecting too far into the future. The Junior Grand Prix Final videos are up on Icenetwork now and the JGPF performances of Adelina Sotnikova, Elizaveta Tuktamisheva and Richard Dornbush, IMO, are definitely worth watching!

Completely agree. Dornbush was my surprise, didn't know him until watched the video, looking forward to see him at Nationals.

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
Vanessa Lam from the US may continue to improve. She was the only US lady to medal on the JGP this year, but wasn't given a second spot. I watched a video of her performance, and she looked very good.

She was the only U.S. lady to win a JGP gold medal, but others won medals.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I was tempted to go see these new phenoms on IN, but I stopped myself because I honestly don't want to spoil the moment of seeing them skate for the very first time, as my first impression is always my most honest.

So instead I went to watch Agnes Zawadzki again from SC, specifically her SP. And nothing's changed, I'm still not impressed. The music, costume, and choreography are just plain butt ugly (presenting her like a puta). :p As a result I had to fast forward to get to the jumps. Reality is like a slap in the face. I was expecting to see a power skater with jumps like Tonya Harding. Lol, I was even envisioning perhaps a 3Axel in the future? But I won't write her off yet, there's still time for her Team to package her just right. If she's supposed to be a power skater then show her off as such, complete with attitude, jumps, costume, choreography. The equivalent for a gymnast would be Elena Produnova:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T45uE45nvY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofkVLGC3FrM

Hmm, actually that Georgia girl reminds me of Elena in a way, the one that dyed her hair this year to look like a joke. She's obviously a power skater, but inconsistent and unrefined, falling all over the place. It's too bad. :(

I await the next one(s)...

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. you know the one that I was really excited about in 2008 (& whom I thought should have won Nationals & have said so many times before) is Ashley Wagner. She presented herself like a power skater, complete with body & attitude, 3/3 combo., spins, speed, everything. What a disappointment she's turned out to be ~ bombing badly her first time at Sr. Worlds in 2008, placing 16th! :eek: And then both times she went to Jr. Worlds in 2007 & 2009 she placed 3rd, when she was expected to win. Not to mention she practically always gets called for UR her jumps. At least Agnes Zawadzki has better jumps than all the US ladies put together, which isn't saying much, so I'll see how Agnes does.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Lol, I was tempted to go see these new phenoms on IN, but I stopped myself because I honestly don't want to spoil the moment of seeing them skate for the very first time, as my first impression is always my most honest.
Of course you're entitled to choose not to watch skaters below Senior level... but it's your loss, IMHO. ;)

p.s. you know the one that I was really excited about in 2008 (& whom I thought should have won Nationals & have said so many times before) is Ashley Wagner. <snip> ... And then both times she went to Jr. Worlds in 2007 & 2009 she placed 3rd, when she was expected to win.
I disagree that Wagner was "expected to win" in 2007 or 2009 as she was not the highest finisher from Nationals heading into either Junior Worlds.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
As far as I know Leah from USA...
It's a shame that Leah Keiser, the 2010 U.S. Novice Ladies champion, did not qualify for 2011 Nationals as a Junior. For those who don't or can't subscribe to Icenetwork, here are some youtube videos of Keiser from this season and last:
2010 US Nationals Novice SP
2010 US Nationals Novice FS
2011 SWP Regionals Junior SP
2011 SWP Regionals Junior FS

Gracie Gold (4th in Novice at 2010 Nationals and a JGP alternate this season - I've enjoyed watch her progress since the Intermediate level) also did not qualify for 2011 Nationals due to a deep Sectionals field, unfortunately -- here's a video of her Junior Ladies Final FS at Skate Detroit in late July 2010: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDDWMKn9Npg

Last edited: