ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread | Page 2 | Golden Skate

ALISSA CZISNY Official Thread

janetfan

Match Penalty
From AJ's frequently snarky blog:

"Czisny delivered one of the best performances of her career."
'Winter Into Spring' is becoming a signature number for Czisny and it brings with it touches of Janet Lynn and Yuka Sato. The edges are pure. The choreography is inspired."

Here it is again -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXK3i98momk

Here we are a few days later and I am still so happy for Alissa.
Being compared to Janet and Yuka is certainly high praise for any skater - and in Alissa's case well deserved.

This is my favorite LP of the season. :love:
A few have said it would be better if she "was playing a role and portraying a character."

I think Alissa has taken it a step above and beyond that as she is showing us herself.
This lovely and expressive program is about Alissa. :clap:

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
I was just checking the ISU rankings for the ladies, Alissa just climbed to 6th in the world, and she is the top ranked US lady! I am very surprised to see these placements:

6. Czissny
8. Flatt
13. Nagasu
14. Wagner
20. Zhang

And in the seaon rankings she is number 1 with 1200 points! :clap: Now all she has to do is win Worlds to stay on top and win the pot of gold at the end of the season. :yes:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I was just checking the ISU rankings for the ladies, Alissa just climbed to 6th in the world, and she is the top ranked US lady! I am very surprised to see these placements:

6. Czissny
8. Flatt
13. Nagasu
14. Wagner
20. Zhang

But to me, this is how it should be and I see the those top three as the top American ladies :)

I expect _ and hope _ to see our last three champions all on the podium this year. My personal prediction is 1.Mirai 2. Alissa 3. Rachael. But I wouldn't be surprised to see any order... I just hope all three skate their best and if they do I've come to the conclusion that all three will be on the podium.

btw - thanks for pointing out the AJ post Janetfan, I've been waiting... ITA that Alissa's LP perfectly highlight Alissa herself.

fairly4

Medalist
she is also the FIrst AMerican Lady to Win under the New Scoring system (cop), sasha came in 2nd.

R.D.

Record Breaker
After all the talk of triple-triples, it's kind of poetic justice that the American lady to end our international medal drought is Alissa. And she didn't do it because everyone else fell, either.

This says it all. Who would have thought?

American ladies have not won a world medal in 4 years. Will it happen this year, and if it does, who will be the one to do it?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This says it all. Who would have thought?

American ladies have not won a world medal in 4 years. Will it happen this year, and if it does, who will be the one to do it?

I feel like this season, where Joannie is out, Alissa is taking her place. A top contender who isn't asian and doesn't have a 3-3 but the other great qualities in their skating make up for it. And they aren't teenagers either, both are on the "older" end of skaters, particularly in North America.

samba

On the Ice
I am sure she was the reason that helped boost NBC rating that GPF weekend. Congrats Alissa!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I feel like this season, where Joannie is out, Alissa is taking her place. A top contender who isn't asian and doesn't have a 3-3 but the other great qualities in their skating make up for it. And they aren't teenagers either, both are on the "older" end of skaters, particularly in North America.

I dunno, that seems a little reductive.

dlgpffps

Final Flight

I kind of get what you mean, but for me the connection's very faint because the two are so different. Alissa makes up for her average jumps by banking on her spins, Joannie vice-versa (how I miss her quality triples). Their skating styles are very different. Expression-wise, quite different as well. In a field that includes Joannie and Alissa, I definitely see Joannie as the stronger competitor (the 120+ JO S&D :thumbsup:)

With Joannie, Yu-na and Mao off this GP season, I rooted for Alissa. She's like a breath of fresh air with that Winston piece. I can't believe she's actually pulling it off. I'm usually a sucker for amazing jump technique, but Alissa's beautiful qualities (and those costumes :love:) got me.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Czisny gets credit from me for not melting down at the GPF after she was in the lead and the skaters before her put the pressure on her. Kudos.

HOWEVER- all this talk of her now being consistent, a top contender, being mentioned in the same breath as Rochette et al, is premature. I cannot stress enough how vital it is that she do well at Nats, and worlds if she makes it. Otherwise we are back to square one with her. We've had these kinds of seasons with her before...strong start, fading towards the end. At this point it will take an ENTIRE season of successful results for her to convince me she's for real.

She seems quite nice, though, from personal experience and from interviews, so naturally she will be a sentimental choice for many.

Last edited:

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Very happy to be an Alissa Czisny fan. I did some researching behind her long program and I'm declaring that this program is very well constructed and a masterpeice when she hits it.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
HOWEVER- all this talk of her now being consistent, a top contender, being mentioned in the same breath as Rochette et al, is premature.

Premature, yes, but my gut feeling tells me she's on the right track. This article sums it up for me:

The [GPF] title serves as another affirmation that she made the right move after failing to make the Olympic team last season with her 10th-place finish at nationals. Instead of quitting, Czisny changed directions, splitting with Julie Berlin, her longtime coach, and turning to the DSC coaching tandem of Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. The coaches, who are married, also train two-time men's U.S. champ Jeremy Abbott.

To me, the move signaled that Czisny was ready to take ownership of her skating.

"I almost feel like this is a new beginning for me," she told the media Saturday in Beijing. "The past is gone -- over and done with. I'm a new skater."