Ladies short program results | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies short program results

Nadine - I think it's my testosterone. I got my early training in arguing sports among my 'tough' friends growing up in Brooklyn. It was not easy being a figure skater in that group:( but I survived.

Big head? Never - quite humble! A curmudgeon? Indeed! :eek:

Figure skating is basically a feminine sport which was confirmed for me at the DC Worlds. I looked around the arena and it was easily 2 to 1, in favor of the females, and most of the men there were doing a favor for their wives or girlfriends.

Golden Skate has a good mix of writers with special personalities. I enjoy the mix. However, the overwhelming style, imo, tends to be estrogenic. ;)

Cheers and peace and love, of course

Joe

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Nadine said:
I recall there being quite a bit of talk on the net (especially at SkateFans) about Yoshie Onda not receiving a similar benefit of the doubt at COR? when she lost to Elena Liashenko b/c of a technicality (ala judges didn't count her 3T-3T sequence nor 2A or something like that; waiting to see it for myself when it finally airs on t.v.).
First of all, you mean CoC. Indeed, her 3T and her 2A were not counted. I think (though I am not sure) that the reason is that she already did a 2T as a part of her 3Lz+2T combo (though the rules only mention triple and quad jumps, not doubles). Therefore, this was her 3d toe loop of the program.

Then, her 2A was not counted because that was her 8th jump. Which is not very fair, because 2A is only the 8th jump if you count the 3T that was NOT counted. In other words, if she did 2A before the 3T, she would have gotten credit for it (3.3 base, with a positive GoE). Another frustrating thing was that on the 3T that she DID get credit for, her GoE was -1.6; the one that was NOT counted would have gotten a slightly positive GoE.

And, just to convince everyone that it's not just the top skaters who get this "+COMBO" thing, if you look at the CoC Ladies FS scores, you see that Dan Fang got it for doing a second 3S; she also had her 2T not counted, since she already did a 2T as a part of combo, and a standalone 3T.

Among men at CoC, Brian Joubert got the "+COMBO" thing, also for a 3S; Nicholas Yong got it for 3A and some French skater got it for 3S.

Nadine said:
Last note, I think I read somewhere on the net where it was mentioned that she was or is married to the head of the Russian Figure Skating Association (Piseev)???:confused:
You are thinking of an ice skating judge, Alla Shehovtseva, widely considered the most corrupt judge (she is, indeed, married to Piseev). The rumors in Russia after the Grand Prix Final is that she made the deal -- Navka & Kostomarov would win the dance, and Plushy would loose in men. Personally, I think that's bull, but there you have it. OTOH, her "corruptness" is part of the reason nobody in Russia believed that in SLC there was a deal to have B&S get gold in pairs, and L&A to get silver in dance -- noone can imagine Shehovtseva agreeing to mark down a Russian dance team, especially the students of her good friend Lininchuk. (It is believed that Lininchuk became the official ice dance coach of the Russian Federation because of her close friendship with Piseev's Mrs.)

Last edited: