Ladies - White or Tan Boots? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies - White or Tan Boots?

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
White boots, no question! But either white or tan boots are better than over-the-boot tights.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Definitely tan boots.

I like to look at the attire on the whole. In real life, a woman has many shoe choices to pick from for an outfit and the occasion. A skater of course needs the trusty pair she is comfortable and able to perform best in. Since they can't wear different pairs for different outfits, tan seems to be the best choice both in being neutral and in line lengthening. I find white boots often incompatible with or even jarring against the often very elegant skating dresses, just as white shoes often are.

Or mabybe Ladies skaters will start to invest and train in a specific pair of skating boots custom matched to the dress they will compete in. Two pairs per season or having their costumes designed to go with the same pair of boots.

It comes back to tan boots being the most practical esthetically and economically.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
White....it just avoids the issue of trying to match your boots and tights to your skin, which most skaters fail at doing. I am also not a fan of over the boot tights, they are really distracting and the white skates just look so much better on everyone, regardless of if your legs are long or short.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Definitely tan boots in terms of aesthetic and visual - when done right, it really adds to the beauty of the performance.

As someone said, white boots can be jarring and often out of place, especially when a skater wears fancy costume, only to be followed by white skating shoes.. that just don't match. (like wearing a tuxedo / evening gown over a pair of white sneakers).

But I certainly wouldn't want everyone to wear tan - Each skater knows what best fits her style, and for majority of them, I think their selection is fine.

Gumdrops

Rinkside
I definitely prefer white boots.

And a big no to over-the-boot tights. They don't lengthen the line imo. They just make the ankle look huge and clunky. It just looks really weird I think.

IMHO

Spectator
White boots!...no question about it.
The tan boots look dirty.
The ugliest thing I have ever seen are the tights over the boots. They make the legs look like clumsy tree stumps.
And whatever happened to the custom of tucking the laces into the top of the boot? They look sloppy flopping around and they can be dangerous. With all the new fast footwork, getting the blade caught in those loops would make quite a fall.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Give me white boots please (I am a figure skating purist). Tan boots remind me of those horrible rental skates with the red stripe down the back of the skate...

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I still like white. In the above two photos, YuNa's legs looked slimmer in white boots. Tights over boots makes ankles look big.

ITA! A lot of skaters who use tan boots or the tight over the skate look like they have really large feet. This is probably one of the few instances where white has a slimming effect.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Does anyone know who reintroduced tan boots into skating (given that Henie made white the standard for ladies)?

I seem to remember Barbara Underhill, of Underhill and Martini, the Canadian pair team, wearing them in the 1980's..who was earlier?

Denise Biellmann wore them sometimes, but I can't remember whether she did during her amateur career??

And who introduced those beastly over the boot tights?

CassAgain

On the Ice
1. White boots

Large gap

2. Tan boots

Grand Canyon

3. Tights over boots

Anyone else on first glance think this thread was Tanith Belbin/Charlie White gossip?