The USA Men at Nats - Which 3 will make the World Team? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The USA Men at Nats - Which 3 will make the World Team?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jeremy Abbott, Brandon Mroz, and Adam Rippon are locked in. If Ryan Bradley comes back in good form that can change, however.

Ryan Bradley FTW!!! :rock:

I'm hoping for a hail mary pass and Keegan Messing somehow finding himself on the podium... but that's just a fangirl dream.

Trewyn

Medalist
Jeremy and Adam should be a lock, unless either of them has a meltdown. Brandon has had a pretty good GP season, being a GPF alternate and all, so he'll likely get the third spot.

Re Ryan Bradley; I also didn't know he intended to compete at Nationals.. I thought he was focussing on shows. But a friend saw him at Galleria Dallas a couple weeks ago and said that during the practice session he landed the quad successfully several times, even though he missed it in the actual performance for that show.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And if you know that rink and show, there is a huge Christmas tree base in the middle of the rink for the holiday show. I'm amazed Ryan would even try a quad in such a situation :clap:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Jeremy and Adam will make the team. I would love to see Armin on the team as well (and gee, I do like Ross, Keegan, and Stephen, etc.).

silverlake22

Record Breaker
What happened to Stephen Carriere? He was considered the next big thing a couple of years ago. Did he get hurt?

Anyway, I am going with Patrick Chan as the national champion. If he can win after falling 4 times, being from another country shouldn't be too much of an obstacle! I also pick him to win the Japanese and Russian nationals as well.

Seriously, I can't imagine Jeremy not going, though I can see him not winning. Adam will probably go, too, short of a total meltdown, and possibly Brandon Mroz for the third.

Stephen was injured most of last season and is also juggling college and skating (he goes to Villanova). He competed at Skate America and didn't do so well but he definitely still has all the tricks, I wouldn't be surprised to see him skate well at nationals.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
All I believe is Jeremy Abbott will be a lock on the World Team. Rippon, Mroz, Armin, Bradley will compete for the last two spots.

nylynnr

On the Ice
Stephen was injured most of last season and is also juggling college and skating (he goes to Villanova). He competed at Skate America and didn't do so well but he definitely still has all the tricks, I wouldn't be surprised to see him skate well at nationals.

I would love to see Stephen skate well at nationals, he is an interesting, well-read guy. However, as of Skate America he did not have "all the tricks." His triple Axel is highly problematic and his quad had yet to be rotated in competition.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I think Mroz will definitely make the team. He's been consistent with his jumps this season. I watched Dornbush on YouTube & was impressed with his JR. GP win but is he always that good?

herios

Medalist
. I watched Dornbush on YouTube & was impressed with his JR. GP win but is he always that good?

That is my thought too. Impressed ? He was excellent!.

And his 3 axel looks textbook to me, in compaison to Adam's. I think he could be a darkorse in this event.

Nena

Rinkside
I think Mroz will definitely make the team. He's been consistent with his jumps this season. I watched Dornbush on YouTube & was impressed with his JR. GP win but is he always that good?

He's had some troubles the last few seasons because of injuries. Since he's not injured this time, I think he will do very well at Nationals since he doesn't have any pressure on him.

I would love to see Stephen skate well at nationals, he is an interesting, well-read guy. However, as of Skate America he did not have "all the tricks." His triple Axel is highly problematic and his quad had yet to be rotated in competition.
I really thought he was over the hill until I watched his GP this season. I didn't think he should have won, but I did think he was undermarked. His new coach (forgot the name who taught Weir) is doing a good job for
Stephen.
Yeoh Coach's name is Priscilla Hill. See what happends to old men's minds?

Last edited:
Re: Dornbush:

That is my thought too. Impressed ? He was excellent!.

And his 3 axel looks textbook to me, in compaison to Adam's. I think he could be a darkorse in this event.
I gotta look at that youtube. He kind of reminds me of the early Abbott with lots of talent but lots of mistakes too.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
"My life is great," Lysacek said of his hectic schedule. "What was difficult for me, from a psychological standpoint, is there was no preparation for it mentally. I was getting ready for the Olympics and bam! My life changed in a flash. I mean completely changed: my sleep schedule, diet, training, the expectations on me, having to adapt on an hourly basis. I've had to learn as I go instead of preparing in advance.

"I have done just that, and I've learned a lot over the course of the last year.

Another person could make the identical speech by changing "Olympics" into "Miss Universe Contest". :biggrin:

Without the continued sarcasams, you go Evan, and enjoy the laurels.

All the Men have shown faults this season so far, it is difficult to predict even when there are no faults. Abbot; Mroz; Rippon seem to be the front runners but I would not count out Mahbahnoozadeh, Dornbush or the ever popular Bradley.

It could be a good show of diverse approaches for the main goal.