The US Pairs Teams - Are they ready for Nats? | Golden Skate

The US Pairs Teams - Are they ready for Nats?

It's not a prediction thread. It's just your way of what the Team will look like after Nats. I'm not sure just how many Teams qualify for the US.

Caydee Denny/Jeremy Barrett
Amanda Evora/Mark Ladwiq
Caitlin Yankowskas/John Coughlin
Marissa Castelli/Simon Schnapir
Britney Simpson/Nathan Miller

Any News of:
Inoue/Baldwin?
McLaughlin/Brubaker?

To pick out 2 Teams (if that is the correct number) is super difficult From what I saw at the GPs, only Yankowskas/Coughlin skated their best. Will they repeat? Will others bring their game up to their best?

I so liked Evora/Ladwig last year. I do hope they do well. I haven't seen anyone at all this year. Practically my entire viewing of the GP skates has been on YouTube, so I've seen just a few ladies and men.

Arianne

On the Ice
Well, McLaughlin and Brubaker are no longer skating together. Brubaker has a new partner who is very young, so I don't think they will be contenders this season. As far as Inoue and Baldwin are concerned, I haven't heard much about them lately. I think they have been in some shows this year. Anyone know if they plan to compete?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
16 Senior pair teams have qualified for US Nationals this year. Denney/Barrett (166.42 at Skate America), Evora/Ladwig (162.85 at Cup of Russia), Yankowskas/Coughlin (166.72 at Cup of China), and Castelli/Shnapir (159.85 at Skate Canada) are the 4 leading teams that have done respectably well on the Senior Grand Prix this fall -- Y/C and E/L won their first-ever GP medals (1 bronze apiece) and D/B and C/S both came close with 4th place finishes.

Simpson/Miller (145.78 at Cup of Russia) and 2010 junior champs Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth (127.48 at TEB) were the other 2 GP teams. 5 pairs competed in Senior B internationals this fall: Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen (141.73, bronze at Golden Spin), Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin (141.37, silver at Ice Challenge), Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff (135.58, 4th at Nebelhorn), Lindsay Davis/Themi Leftheris (133.92, 4th at Ice Challenge), and Erika Smith/Nathan Bartholomay (133.41, 4th at Golden Spin).

Besides Davis/Leftheris, other new teams to watch for at Nationals are Mary Beth Marley/Rockne Brubaker (they scored 52.30 in a SP exhibition at Pacific Coast Sectionals that can be viewed on Icenetwork) and Becky Bereswill/Trevor Young (136.40, 2nd at Midwestern Sectionals behind Aaron/Cohen). The pair that's been together the longest -- since the Juvenile level in 2000 -- is Chloe Katz/Joseph Lynch (140.22, close 2nd at Eastern Sectionals to Smith/Bartholomay) -- they had to withdraw from 2010 Nationals due to her broken ankle/ligament injury in December 2009 after having had their highest-ever placement (6th) at 2009 Nationals.

I've heard that Rena Inoue/John Baldwin will not be at 2011 Nationals -- they've competed at every Nationals since their Senior debut back in 2001.

BTW, Yankowskas/Coughlin are featured on the front of the current issue of USFS' SKATING magazine, and their cover story now can be read online (click on "Current Issue"): http://www.usfsa.org/About.asp?id=467

There are 2 spots for US pairs at 2011 Worlds.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I think that D/B, E/L and Y/C will be on the podium and that they seem to be pretty evenly matched. I would like to see E/L and Y/C make the team. I admit that I am prejudiced because I just prefer their skating (especially Y/C) more than I do D/B. If D/B make the team that would be good too. It is not likely that the US will be bringing home a medal in Pairs this season.

16 Senior pair teams have qualified for US Nationals this year. Denney/Barrett (166.42 at Skate America), Evora/Ladwig (162.85 at Cup of Russia), Yankowskas/Coughlin (166.72 at Cup of China), and Castelli/Shnapir (159.85 at Skate Canada) are the 4 leading teams that have done respectably well on the Senior Grand Prix this fall -- Y/C and E/L won their first-ever GP medals (1 bronze apiece) and D/B and C/S both came close with 4th place finishes.

Simpson/Miller (145.78 at Cup of Russia) and 2010 junior champs Felicia Zhang/Taylor Toth (127.48 at TEB) were the other 2 GP teams. 5 pairs competed in Senior B internationals this fall: Molly Aaron/Daniyel Cohen (141.73, bronze at Golden Spin), Tiffany Vise/Don Baldwin (141.37, silver at Ice Challenge), Gretchen Donlan/Andrew Speroff (135.58, 4th at Nebelhorn), Lindsay Davis/Themi Leftheris (133.92, 4th at Ice Challenge), and Erika Smith/Nathan Bartholomay (133.41, 4th at Golden Spin).

Besides Davis/Leftheris, other new teams to watch for at Nationals are Mary Beth Marley/Rockne Brubaker (they scored 52.30 in a SP exhibition at Pacific Coast Sectionals that can be viewed on Icenetwork) and Becky Bereswill/Trevor Young (136.40, 2nd at Midwestern Sectionals behind Aaron/Cohen). The pair that's been together the longest -- since the Juvenile level in 2000 -- is Chloe Katz/Joseph Lynch (140.22, close 2nd at Eastern Sectionals to Smith/Bartholomay) -- they had to withdraw from 2010 Nationals due to her broken ankle/ligament injury in December 2009 after having had their highest-ever placement (6th) at 2009 Nationals.

I've heard that Rena Inoue/John Baldwin will not be at 2011 Nationals -- they've competed at every Nationals since their Senior debut back in 2001.

BTW, Yankowskas/Coughlin are featured on the front of the current issue of USFS' SKATING magazine, and their cover story now can be read online (click on "Current Issue"): http://www.usfsa.org/About.asp?id=467

There are 2 spots for US pairs at 2011 Worlds.
Thanks Sylvia. Always nice to read someone who knows more about Figure Skating Competitions than just Ladies.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I would presume you are the expert and put your post to read all about joesitz. Nothing about Senior Pairs but I leave that to your reputation with fellow posters.:confused::think::rolleye:

I presume you are a fruitcake with many flavors - but not all of us like it :laugh:

For YOU Natls means nothing and is just ONE EVENT for the Ladies.

And now you expect us to believe your BS when you want to claim it is important for Pairs?

Holy cow - you take the cake and eat it too! :laugh:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm sad that Rena and John won't be at Nationals. It won't be the same without them. Heck I was just going through some old photos Mr. Ski took at 1991 Nationals, and there was John, with all his hair :eek: (blonde, too) skating in both singles and pairs!

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I'm sad that Rena and John won't be at Nationals. It won't be the same without them. Heck I was just going through some old photos Mr. Ski took at 1991 Nationals, and there was John, with all his hair :eek: (blonde, too) skating in both singles and pairs!

Me too. Nine years straight of Rena and John

shan

Rinkside
I'm very excited to see the pairs event in Gso. I think it will be very close among the top teams. I'm looking forward to seeing Y/C, E/L and Donlan/Speroff (I hope they're both healthy now.). I'm also interested in all of the new teams esp the new M/B and Bereswill/Young. It should be a great event!!!

^^^
Indeed! The new teams will be interesting to watch. Not so much for the podium but for possible future podiums.