NBC Skating Ratings Up From Last Year (From Sports Media Watch) | Golden Skate

NBC Skating Ratings Up From Last Year (From Sports Media Watch)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Tweeted this link earlier, but figure I'd post it on the forums too.

More precisely, ratings for the GPF are up (1.1 vs. 0.9 last year). Interesting, considering you'd think the opposite would happen since last year was the Olympic season. Anyway:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.net/2010/12/ratings-up-22-for-final-of-grand-prix.html

[Last] Sunday's telecast [of the ISU Grand Prix Final] was the #2 top non-football sporting event of the weekend on broadcast, surpassing college basketball on CBS and golf on NBC. Only the Pokerstars.net Million Dollar Challenge on FOX, which had a lead-in from NFL action, did better (1.5, 2.263 mil).

samba

On the Ice
One thing that probably drew audience was the "star quality" female skater like Alissa since she is very pretty and good enough to win GPF. Hope she continues to do well and help protmote skating. I'm sure if we had somebody like Yuna, the rating would have been way up in Olympic year.

M

mylastduchess

Alissa is a perfect poster girl for figure skating in the US, she has a skating style that casual figure skating fans would appreciate even if they can't tell the difference from a 3A to a 3T

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I've been watching skating events on TV every year, but this year, I'm participating in the Neilsen research group. They installed a little device in my TV and DVR which is used to collect channel info, etc...
So I programmed my TV to automatically turn on and record every skating events. Doing my part to help out. I like to think I'm responsible for at least 20% of the rating increase. :biggrin:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Americans just like the ladies more! Like last year an american man won, two medaled, and three were there. But that doesn't mean as much as an American lady who wins! Oh I also thought of the fact that this may be Post Olympic bounce as well. A test could be like the grand prix final of 2012 or 2013 further away from the olympics.

Happy to see those new rating given the insifnificance of the GPs. Are those ratings for NBC or for UniSport?

I think the holiday Disson stuff will be even higher. It's very familyish.

Any news of US Nationals coverage?

I've been watching skating events on TV every year, but this year, I'm participating in the Neilsen research group. They installed a little device in my TV and DVR which is used to collect channel info, etc...
So I programmed my TV to automatically turn on and record every skating events. Doing my part to help out. I like to think I'm responsible for at least 20% of the rating increase. :biggrin:

Splendid! FlattFan, you're a great citizen of the Ice Kingdom.

ivy

On the Ice
Hopefully this will mean even more coverage on NBC. I'd love to see the short programs and/or pairs & dance coverage on NBC. If they can build interest in skating, it will only help the ratings of next Olympics.

samba

On the Ice
Hopefully this will mean even more coverage on NBC. I'd love to see the short programs and/or pairs & dance coverage on NBC. If they can build interest in skating, it will only help the ratings of next Olympics.

It's a hard sell for pairs or dance since we had Olympic silver medalists in dance in the last two Oly., but it did not draw much audience when compare with ladies. I hope Alissa continue to do well, this will help boost the TV rating.