Alexander Majorov insults the Swedish federation on Facebook (and later apologizes) | Golden Skate

Alexander Majorov insults the Swedish federation on Facebook (and later apologizes)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Ouch. Did he write this comment on facebook? Can't believe he used the N word, how crass and stupid of him.
Need translation for his apology.

Moderator's note

Warning: the link in the first post on this thread contains an extremely offensive racial epithet as well as vulgarity.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Did he write this comment on facebook?

Yes, the image in the first article was a direct screen capture from his Facebook page. Majorov did remove the status update within 10 minutes of posting it, but the Swedish media was too quick for him.

Ouch. Did he write this comment on facebook? Can't believe he used the N word, how crass and stupid of him.
Need translation for his apology.

Google Translate doesn't do a great job, but at least you'll understand the main points: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fiof2.idrottonline.se%2FSvenskaKonstakningsforbundet%2FMedia%2FNyhetsarkiv%2FMajorovberomursaktforsittFacebook-utfall%2F

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Yes, the image in the first article was a direct screen capture from his Facebook page. Majorov did remove the status update within 10 minutes of posting it, but the Swedish media was too quick for him.

Google Translate doesn't do a great job, but at least you'll understand the main points: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fiof2.idrottonline.se%2FSvenskaKonstakningsforbundet%2FMedia%2FNyhetsarkiv%2FMajorovberomursaktforsittFacebook-utfall%2F

Thank you.

russell30

Final Flight
It just goes to show how important Nationals are, he had a bad day at the office. I can understand his frustration, he will learn from it and re-group but he seems immature to me and could quit anyway.:disapp:

KMK0902

On the Ice

Very immature, but in his defence, I believe that a lot of youth in Sweden is talking like that; it's not as bad as it is in North America. (If that makes sense):)

K

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's a frustrated angry 19 year old lashing out with all the baddest coolest English curse words he knew. The severity and the ugly implications escaped him, I believe.

Time for damage control and to salvage his and his family's investments in and sacrifices for his skating career. Hopefully it's a big lesson and not a career ender.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Very immature, but in his defence, I believe that a lot of youth in Sweden is talking like that; it's not as bad as it is in North America. (If that makes sense):)

K

That's what scares me; all those ugly words young people use among themselves without thinking what they mean. Majorov said in an interview that he would never use words like this to a grown up.

It's a frustrated angry 19 year old lashing out with all the baddest coolest English curse words he knew. The severity and the ugly implications escaped him, I believe.

Time for damage control and to salvage his and his family's investments in and sacrifices for his skating career. Hopefully it's a big lesson and not a career ender.

Agree, though there were bad Swedish words too. Well, the Swedish Federation was understanding and just gave him a warning, so now he can go on. Guess he has a lot to think about.

dlgpffps

Final Flight

And that's what's so stupid about it. I can't believe he used the N-word in the context of his federation. It kind of made me laugh.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I found the article which discusses the warning that Majorov received from the federation: http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaKonstakningsforbundet/Media/Nyhetsarkiv/Disciplinaratgardforkrankandeuttalande/

I hope Sasha realises how fortunate he is that he got a slap on the wrist. We've heard stories of people insulting their boss or their workplace on Facebook and getting fired for it. I'm not saying that the Swedish federation would've dumped him or anything like that, but they could've denied him the chance to go to senior Worlds this season since he needs to mature a little. (The top 3 Swedish men will have to battle for the 2 Worlds spots at the Nordic Championships.)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I found the article which discusses the warning that Majorov received from the federation: http://iof2.idrottonline.se/SvenskaKonstakningsforbundet/Media/Nyhetsarkiv/Disciplinaratgardforkrankandeuttalande/

I hope Sasha realises how fortunate he is that he got a slap on the wrist. We've heard stories of people insulting their boss or their workplace on Facebook and getting fired for it. I'm not saying that the Swedish federation would've dumped him or anything like that, but they could've denied him the chance to go to senior Worlds this season since he needs to mature a little. (The top 3 Swedish men will have to battle for the 2 Worlds spots at the Nordic Championships.)

My guess is that Swedish Federation needs Majorov?

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My guess is that Swedish Federation needs Majorov?

I can't read the minds of the officials, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes" for the most part. I did watch the other senior and junior-level male skaters on the Swedish Nationals live stream, and I haven't seen anyone else in the lower ranks who comes close to matching Majorov's skating. As much as I adore Berntsson, I know that he's a headcase, so if Kristoffer bombs at Euros and/or the Nordics, then at least they can send Sasha to senior Worlds.

That being said, the Swedish federation can't afford another PR nightmare, so if Majorov has another "Freudian slip", I can imagine that his punishment would be quite severe. This organization has been trying very hard to get people to pay more attention to the sport, and their wish came true in one of the worst ways possible. :bang:

Tony Wheeler spoke to Majorov about this incident, so at least English-speaking FS fans have one statement from him which doesn't require Google Translate :p: http://www.flutzingaround.com/2010/12/alexander-majorov-apologizes-for.html

I certainly don't blame his mother for being furious... Not only did Sasha potentially ruin his own career, but he could've ruined his parents' as well. Luckily it never reached that point, but the tabloids could've made accusations that the Majorovs didn't raise their boy properly and whatnot.