Who is the front-runner in U.S. ladies?

• Alissa

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Mirai

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
At the present moment, which American lady has her mojo on heading into nationals?

This is not a prediction as to who might win, just who goes into nationals with the greatest expectations?

I think Mirai. She didn't make the Grand Prix Finals due to a slow start at Skate America. But she beat Alissa in the final event and comes into Nationals rested and ready.

Rachael may get it together and win the whole thing, but at present she has to be regarded as an underdog.

As for the dreaded under-rotatation calls, that's a crap shoot -- all of our ladies are vulnerable in that area.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The lady who won the Grand Prix final recently most certainly becomes the favorite to win this years U.S Nationals in a ladies field still lacking a World medalist. If Czisny skates a clean short and combines it with even a 4 triple long I think she has the title in the bag. Nagasu, Wagner, and maybe Flatt fighting for 2nd spot but I see Flatt as unlikely to get even that this time around.

lcd

Match Penalty
A lot comes down to the short program. With that in mind, does that change anyone's answer?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Czisny skates a clean short, and she often does, she will be given a huge lead ala 2009 I am predicting. Unless Nagasu skates cleanly with a triple-triple.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Going into the season I thought for sure Mirai would be going in to nationals at the clear front-runner but it hasn't quite worked out that way, has it? Once again, there is no clear front-runner among the ladies.

I agree with Mathman. If I had to absolutely pick, I would say Mirai with Alissa close behind thanks to her GPF win and her great LP choreo.

I don't agree that Alissa will be so far ahead if she does a clean SP. If I were the judges I would rate Mirai and Alissa pretty equally if they are both clean - even if Mirai doesn't do a triple triple. Alissa has better spins to be sure and a perhaps more maturity. On the other hand, Mirai's jumps are way bigger, she is faster, her spins are pretty great themselves and she's an awfully good performer.

Personally, I think if Mirai and Alissa lay it down they have 1-2 in the bag but on the other hand, they might not and Rachael would whip out her 7 triple LP and win the whole thing again. Or maybe Christina will have the skates of her life and take advantage of the mistakes of others.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think there is a front runner... they're all pretty much starting at the same line...

Layfan

Record Breaker
Nah, they don't.

Mathman's question is about expectations. I don't think Mirai and Alissa go into this with the same expectations as Christina Gao or Agnes or even Ashley. Yes, we know that all the ladies have their strengths and weaknesses and problems and anything could happen and no one is really head and shoulders above the rest. But Mirai, Alissa and Rachael are expected to be on the podium. Alissa and Mirai are expected by most to win. Pretty much, the overall feeling is that if Mirai or Alissa bring their a-game, they win. That's expectations.

It's true that about five or six ladies have a decent shot at the gold but if say Agnes or Christina are fourth rather than third it will not be considered as disappointing a showing as if Mirai, Alissa or Rachael don't win gold.

Why am I even going on about this? I'm only making myself more nervous for all of them than I already am!!!:eek: