The MEN (also worth getting excited about). | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The MEN (also worth getting excited about).

The Kwan example is like the only one I can ever think of (except also the Kerrigan situation) in which someone who did not participate in nationals was sent somewhere-worlds or Olympics. It's always the top 2 or 3 finishers depending on spots and who are age eligible of course. Nagasu was too young to be sent one year. I also am reading Johnny Weirs book and he states without names that should have been sent instead of Mroz in 2009 because he was a first year senior (when many are still called juniors!) - and I guess Ryan Bradley as well as he was 4th but whatever.
I think Johnny has some regret about not podiumed in Vancover. His inferences sound desperate to me.

btw, Harding went to Olys, and the media went so wild on all this. Poor Nancy was signaled out as the cause for the media.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Eldridge went to Worlds/Olympics one year without a test skate or going through Nationals (the year Bobek got booted off the team). That was when a test skate ended up being required...

gkelly

Record Breaker
Eldridge went to Worlds/Olympics one year without a test skate or going through Nationals

That was 1992.

(the year Bobek got booted off the team).

That was 1996. Eldredge didn't win Nationals as expected that year, and one reason was related to one reason that Bobek struggled that year -- both had been touring earlier in the winter which affected their training time (and also Bobek had an injury that she didn't care for well enough), which is probably why you're connecting them in your memory. But Eldredge certainly did earn his spot on the 1996 world team by placing 2nd at Nationals that year.

It was 1992 that he was named to the Olympic/World teams without skating at Nationals.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Love how Todd's first title was in 1990 and last was in 2002! Pretty darn impressive.

Yeah, Todd really had an up and down career, but a long one!

Just because it's so exciting, here's Wylie's Olympic Long Program from Albertville, even though he's not on the list of U.S. champions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLhA7CVIok&feature=related

This is one time when Scott Hamilton's excited, admittedly partisan commentary is absolutely right for the occasion. It matches the jubilation of the music, of Wylie's skating, and of the audience. And watch Wylie. He doesn't complete any true combinations (he steps between the first and second jump each time), but look at the tight, straight jumps he does. Look at his beautiful spins, including the immaculate sit spin; also the rapid footwork, the way his movements create a narrative, and that dazzling smile as he defeats his demons. A skate for the ages.

Layfan, I always hope for Paul Wylie moments for skaters. (Not just for the men! Alissa should have one at Worlds, too.)

I am SO grateful for Todd & Paul's respective long careers in figure skating.

A little OT, but did anyone on this board attend the Caesars' Tribute to the Golden Age of US Figure Skating? It was an awesome show, and serious one of the best fs shows we've ever attended (and that's saying a lot, since we love SOI so much). While we enjoyed the TV broadcast, we were shocked that 7 worthy programs were "chacked." Here is a link to those 7 programs that should have been included in the broadcast: http://www.stargamesinc.com/exlusiveperformances.html Do not miss Calla & Rocky's performance! It was a travesty that it wasn't shown on the broadcast (now, I'll also admit my bias, but Todd's signature performance of "Il Mare Calmo de la Sera" should have been included too - come on, he's a 6 time US Men's champion, 6 time World medalist, and World Champion - is this sport only about Olympic medalists?)! I'm hoping that Jerry Solomon's company will seriously consider producing/releasing a DVD of the entire show. If anyone else here is interested, please consider e-mailing Jerry @ [email protected] . There's no guarantee that this will happen, but perhaps if enough people are interested, maybe we could get the desired result. BTW, Uncle Dickie's segment and Paul's interview and performance with Nancy Kerrigan ("The Last Night of the World" from "Miss Saigon" - they did this together at the 1992 Albertville Olympics Exhibition) are just marvelous. If you missed the orignal broadcast, it wil be reaired on the Hallmark Channel in February (check the dissonskating.com website for dates and times).

Now, for these Nationals, may all the men skate their best. I'm particularly rooting for Adam, Jeremy, Ryan, Keegan, and Armin :love:! Oh, also Jonathan Cassar, Ross Miner, Sean Rabbitt ...

On the Junior level - Nathan Chen, Emanuel Savary, Harrison Choate

Last edited:

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
On another note, when Alexei Urmanov won the Olympics in 1994, it was his first international victory. Most of his career was after that win, and he won all the major titles except Worlds.

What were the major titles after 1994 Olys? I presume you mean those silly Sunday afternoon forgettable comps except the Worlds?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
IMO the Kerrigan going to the Olys without nationals was fair, MK not so much. They were riding on the hope of ratings more than anything else, she was so not ready to compete and everyone knew it.

If Czisny and Meissner had skated better at those Nationals and the 3rd place finisher had a really strong performance, Kwan probably wouldnt have gotten the bye. Since Emily Hughes took 3rd with mediocre skating, they were all too happy to give Kwan the bye.

I dont think it was a mistake. She was healthy enough to compete in Vancouver at one point but then reinjured herself in practice. I think she might have gotten through the competition decently with a clean short and semi clean 4 or 5 triple long and come around 5th had she not reinjured herself on a fall in practice leading in. She was never going to win the gold, only her craziest fans had delusions of that, but she was still likely to come better than Hughes. I cant believe Hughes even came 7th in Vancouver, probably because her last name is Hughes.

What were the major titles after 1994 Olys? I presume you mean those silly Sunday afternoon forgettable comps except the Worlds?

I think Polymer Bob means all the events that Urmanov won in subsequent seasons.

1997-98 Europeans
1994-95 Russian Championship
1995-96 Russian Championship
1995-96 Grand Prix Final (called the Champions series then)
1995-96 Skate Canada
1996-97 Nations Cup (German Grand Prix evebt)
1997-98 Cup of Russia
1998-99 Cup of Russia

I dont think it was a mistake. She was healthy enough to compete in Vancouver at one point but then reinjured herself in practice.

I don't think so. I think she had been skating on a wing and prayer for a year or more. Some days she hurt a little less, some days a little more. On the "a little less" days, she thought she could do it.

Still, I agree with your main point. The U.S. did not have anyone else who was going to contend for a medal, so why not?

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
I don't think so. I think she had been skating on a wing and prayer for a year or more. Some days she hurt a little less, some days a little more. On the "a little less" days, she thought she could do it.

Wasn't there an interview with Artunian to this effect a couple years after where he said something like I'd let Michelle take a couple laps and she'd look at me and if she shook her head NO I knew we weren't working that day?

^ Yes I remember that.

In fact, Arutunian never even went to Torino for the 2006 Olympics. He hopped on a plane to Moscow instead.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'll be honest I'm most excited to see Ryan Bradley. Not only does he tower over all the other little boys, but he has 2 quads in his arsenal. I just wish he would get serious and get the job done. This is the very reason I can't call myself a fan of his in the past because it's one thing to have a great sense of humour, but it's another thing entirely to become the class clown. It gets old after awhile. Time to grow up and lay it down on the ice.

On that note, I hope he blows everybody away with his new "Bugle Boy" routine ~ can't wait to finally see it!!!!! :cool: :party: