Ladies LP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So who will go to World, Euro ?? Sotnikova is still not age eligible right??

My guess it will be Leonova and Makarova since the Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya are too young to go.
Polina S, Polina A, Roza S. and Anna O (out for the season) will be eligible in 2011-2012.
Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva will be of age for the 2012-2013 season. And by the skin of her teeth (her 15th birthday is on June 2013), Lipnitskaya will eliglbe for 2013-2014, just in time for Sochi!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
My guess it will be Leonova and Makarova since the Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and Lipnitskaya are too young to go.
Polina S, Polina A, Roza S. and Anna O (out for the season) will be eligible in 2011-2012.
Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva will be of age for the 2012-2013 season. And by the skin of her teeth (her 15th birthday is on June 2013), Lipnitskaya will eliglbe for 2013-2014, just in time for Sochi!

For Euros, it's been confirmed to be Leonova and Makarova. Biryukova is the alternate. It's all but confirmed to be the same for Worlds, unless Alena or Ksenia get injured, since it's not a situation where they'd change the teams (like the Japanese and 4CC/Worlds where Akiko Suzuki will go to 4CC and Kanako Murakami replaces her on the Worlds team, I believe).

For Junior Worlds, at this point, I'd say it's Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva easily based on both the Senior Nationals and the JGP/JGPF placements. The 3rd might be Biryukova since she probably won't get to Worlds unfortunately. It'd probably more likely be Polina Shelepen or Polina Agafonova, based on previous results. Junior Nationals will be the deciding factor. If Agafonova repeats her victory from last year, it'll be her more likely than not. If she medals (but not gold) and Shelepen wins, it may be Shelepen that gets the spot instead. If both medal but don't win, it'll be hard to pick. Sheveleva may have a chance too.

I wish Lipnitskaya was a year older so she could go. But hey, she'll be amazing to see on the JGP next year.

oleada

Record Breaker
Rosa Sheveleva is definitely a contender for the third JW spot - she had the 5th best LP, ahead of Makarova, Biryukova, Shelepen and Agafonova. Unfortunately, her SP wasn't great, but when she's on, she can really contend with the others. She has nice basics and really excellent jumping technique. Her 3Lz is HUGE.

Slowdive

On the Ice

I didn't think that Lipnitskaya would be old enough to qualify for Sochi.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks! I guess I was thinking that the athletes had to be 16 or 17 in order to compete.

Goodness, that would be terrible. Raising it 15 seems hard to deal with already! And she's so close. I mean Mao only missed competiting in 2006 by about 2 months.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Goodness, that would be terrible. Raising it 15 seems hard to deal with already! And she's so close. I mean Mao only missed competiting in 2006 by about 2 months.

True.

Besides Julia Lipnitskaya, Adelina Sotnikova's actually even luckier with the age thing. Had she been born the same day, a few years later (1998 instead of 1996) she would literally miss Olympic eligibility by a single day. That would really be terrible.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
True.

Besides Julia Lipnitskaya, Adelina Sotnikova's actually even luckier with the age thing. Had she been born the same day, a few years later (1998 instead of 1996) she would literally miss Olympic eligibility by a single day. That would really be terrible.

That would've been a bummer. I believe that Adelina's coach tried to appeal for her to be eligble next year (2011-2012) but did not have much success...

Meli_Huber

On the Ice
The Russian Federation asked the ISU about the age limit last year because of Adelina - but she was not allowed to skate and had to wait for this season. One day - that is really hard!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
The Russian Federation asked the ISU about the age limit last year because of Adelina - but she was not allowed to skate and had to wait for this season. One day - that is really hard!

Yeah. And I thought Rachael Flatt had it rough being born on July 21st.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They need to stop this nonsense where girls as young as 14 can compete in the senior Grand Prix but can't go to Worlds or the Olympics. If they want to protect them then make them wait just like Worlds other let them compete as seniors at 14 or 15 and none of this being born before July 1st of the year before.

oleada

Record Breaker
^ ?

I thought 14-year-olds WERE barred from senior GP?

No, they are not. They can skate the GP 1 year before they are senior-championship eligible. Both Mao Asada and Caroline Zhang are recent examples of this. If Liza Tuktamysheva choses to compete in the GP next year, she'll be 14 during it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No, they are not. They can skate the GP 1 year before they are senior-championship eligible. Both Mao Asada and Caroline Zhang are recent examples of this. If Liza Tuktamysheva choses to compete in the GP next year, she'll be 14 during it.

There was a proposal on the table during the ISU Congress in June to up the GP age limit to 15, but it looks like that was rejected as it's still 15 under the latest ISU rules.

So yes both Liza and Adelina will be able to compete in the GP next year.

oleada

Record Breaker
Rosa Sheveleva's 6-triple free skate (5th in that segment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H9S1rmZQs

I love the quality of her jumps, and her basics, power and flow are all good. If she can work on getting her spins and consistency up, she'll be a world beater. Her skating is really appealing, IMO. Nice expression, too.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Rosa Sheveleva's 6-triple free skate (5th in that segment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H9S1rmZQs

I love the quality of her jumps, and her basics, power and flow are all good. If she can work on getting her spins and consistency up, she'll be a world beater. Her skating is really appealing, IMO. Nice expression, too.

ITA. I think she will have 3-3, likely 3Lz-3T really soon (or maybe even has it already but didn't put in programs), she looks so ready for it! And I also like her posture and elegance. Rosa, as well as all three Polinas and Anna, will be eligible for Euros and Worlds next season, so I think it will be so much harder for Leonova and Makarova at Nationals to defend their spots in the team

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
They need to stop this nonsense where girls as young as 14 can compete in the senior Grand Prix but can't go to Worlds or the Olympics. If they want to protect them then make them wait just like Worlds other let them compete as seniors at 14 or 15 and none of this being born before July 1st of the year before.

I agree that it's silly to let them compete at senior international events without being able to compete at Worlds/Olympics. I think the age limit should match (and should be the most restricted one, to be sure).

oleada

Record Breaker
ITA. I think she will have 3-3, likely 3Lz-3T really soon (or maybe even has it already but didn't put in programs), she looks so ready for it! And I also like her posture and elegance. Rosa, as well as all three Polinas and Anna, will be eligible for Euros and Worlds next season, so I think it will be so much harder for Leonova and Makarova at Nationals to defend their spots in the team

Her lutz is so big and powerful, I see no reason why she can't start working on the 3Lz+3T, and also a 2A+3T, given also the quality of her 2A.

I actually think Rosa has more potential than all of the Polinas - she has better jumps and jump technique, as well as very nice expression. She just needs to be more consistent and skate two reasonably clean programs in a competition.

Last edited: