Alternative ways to determine Worlds roster | Golden Skate

Alternative ways to determine Worlds roster

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
OK, so we've been railing on about how Russia needs five spots in pairs and Japan needs like five spots in ladies. So I've been thinking about a system where they could achieve that.

1.) 42 entries total. 24 move on to free skate.
2.) Top 5 in last year's Worlds directly qualify. These spots are non-transferable.
3.) So do medalists from the GPF.
3.) Nations can earn up to 3 additional spots based on results from previous Worlds. Same as current ISU system
3 skaters = Top 2 skaters placements equaling less than 13 keep 3. More than 13 but less than 28 get 2. If they fall below 28 they get only one berth.
2 skaters = Total placements equaling less than 13 get 3. More than 13 but less than 28 keep 2. If both skaters placements equal more than 28, one berth.
1 skater = Top 2 placement gets 3 skaters; Top 10 placement gets 2; Below top 10 only one skater goes.
However in order to have at least one placement, you have to have had one skater make the free skate in the previous year.
4.) Remaining nations who don't qualify in any of the ways above will have to earn the spots in a qualifying round to be held at Worlds. Or perhaps earn it at a Senior "B" like they do at the Olympics.
5.) If a county or skater relinquishes their spot, then it counts for the qualifying round/competition.

** NOTE-- The federations can continue to choose who exactly gets these spots.

So if we did the ladies here's what we got.

1 JPN Mao Asada
2 KOR Kim Yu-Na
3 FIN Laura Lepistö
4 JPN Miki Ando
5 CAN Cynthia Phaneuf

+GPF Medalists
6. USA Alissa Czisny
7. ITA Carolina Kostner
8. JPN Kankano Murakami

+ Additional Spots (for previous Worlds placement)
9. JPN
10. JPN
11 JPN
12 CAN
13 CAN
14 KOR
15 KOR
16 FIN
17 FIN
18 ITA
19 ITA
20 RUS
21 RUS
22 SWE
23 SWE
24 USA
25 USA
26. GBR
27. GER
28. HUN
29. CHN
30. AUS
31. GEO
32. ESP
33. EST
34. UZE
35. NED

With 42 spots, there are 7 left in the qualifying round. Of course there are more if spots are given up.

So under this system..Japan could send up to six skaters but the U.S. only gain an additional spot because neither Flatt nor Nagasu were in the top 5.
I don't know, just playing for fun. But by doing it this way, you ensure that the BEST skaters get to compete. Would love to hear your thoughts.

ETA: This system would also never fly because then certain ISU member organizations would probably always be left out....but hey we can dream.

ETA 2: Tweaked it a bit based on the feedback received so far. Also erase all names except that of the Top 5 and medalists at GPF because yes we don't know who will get them if this was the system.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think top ten in one year worlds might be a light year distance from the skater´s condition by next year Worlds, plus the way you propose these would be name holders spots instead of country spots and the same people would compete again and again skipping the qualify round based on their performance a year before? In a year countries have different champions, top 3 skaters, athletes get injured, in a year the picture changes completely.
And concerning the small Isu countries, you never know from which country the next Yuna will appear, personally I dont remember Korea in the skating map before Yuna. Any interest the small skating countries have will be lost and with this the financial support to its athletes.
For the best of the best there is the GP, worlds is ..the World competing:biggrin:

gkelly

Record Breaker
3.) Nations can earn up 2 or 3 additional spots under the current system by having placed well the previously year. (Use current ISU system).
+ Additional Spots (for good placement)
13 JPN Akiko Suzuki
14 JPN Yuko Nishiro
15 JPN Fumie Suguri
20 FIN Kiira Korpi
24 RUS Alena Leonova
25 RUS Sofia Biryukova
28 USA (Christina Gao/Ashley Wagner/Caroline Zhang)
29 USA (Christina Gao/Ashley Wagner/Caroline Zhang)

How did you come up with the numbers of extra spots these countries earned for good placement? Not sure what you meant by "use current ISU system."

I.e., why does Japan get three, Finland one, Russia and US two? Is it based on last year's Worlds results? ISU world standings (as of what date)?

And how did you come up with the names?

Are those specific skaters prequalified on account of their world standings or specific past international results?

Are you going down the list of results at Japanese, Finnish, and Russian nationals and choosing the top finishers on the theory that that's who the federations would choose to send to fill those spots?

Are you guessing that the top two finishers at US Nationals who are not already prequalified according to your rules 2 and 3 will be two of Gao, Wagner, and Zhang? In that case, if someone else places higher than two or three of those ladies at US Nationals, then that someone else could be sent instead? Or is there some rule by which only those three skaters, plus the three who are prequalified based on last year's Worlds and GPF finish, would be eligible, and even if all the medalists at Nationals turn out to be skaters whose names you didn't mention in your post, none of them would be allowed to compete at Worlds because they don't have the right international qualifications?

What probably makes more sense to me would be to say something like all GPF medalists and all European and Four Continents medalists from this season, and maybe all Worlds medalists from last season, get a free spot at Worlds without affecting the number of open entries their country is allowed to send. Then each country is also allowed to send one additional skater. Or maybe two or three skaters based on past results, although figuring out a fair formula to decide that would be tricky.

Who does or doesn't have to skate qualifying rounds is another tricky question.

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
OK, so we've been railing on about how Russia needs five spots in pairs and Japan needs like five spots in ladies. So I've been thinking about a system where they could achieve that.

1.) 40 entries total. 24 move on to free skate.
2.) Top 10 in last year's Worlds directly qualify.
3.) So do medalists from the GPF.
3.) Nations can earn up 2 or 3 additional spots under the current system by having placed well the previously year. (Use current ISU system).
4.) Remaining nations who don't qualify in any of the ways above will have to earn the spots in a qualifying round.
5.) If a county or skater relinquishes their spot, then it counts for the qualifying round.

So if we did the ladies here's what we got.

1 JPN Mao Asada
2 KOR Kim Yu-Na
3 FIN Laura Lepistö
4 JPN Miki Ando
5 CAN Cynthia Phaneuf
6 ITA Carolina Kostner
7 USA Mirai Nagasu
8 RUS Ksenia Makarova
9 USA Rachael Flatt
10 SWE Viktoria Helgesson

+GPF Medalists
11 USA Alissa Czisny
12. JPN Kankano Murakami

+ Additional Spots (for good placement)
13 JPN Akiko Suzuki
14 JPN Yuko Nishiro
15 JPN Fumie Suguri
16 CAN
17 CAN
18 KOR
19 KOR
20 FIN Kiira Korpi
21 FIN
22 ITA
23 ITA
24 RUS Alena Leonova
25 RUS Sofia Biryukova
26 SWE
27 SWE
28 USA (Christina Gao/Ashley Wagner/Caroline Zhang)
29 USA (Christina Gao/Ashley Wagner/Caroline Zhang)

With 40 spots, there are 11 left in the qualifying round. Of course there are more if spots are given up.

So under this system..Japan could send up to six skaters, U.S. five.
I don't know, just playing for fun. But by doing it this way, you ensure that the BEST skaters get to compete. Would love to hear your thoughts.

ETA: This system would also never fly because then certain ISU member organizations would probably always be left out....but hey we can dream.

Interesting idea, but who the hell is Yuko Nishiro? lol.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
How did you come up with the numbers of extra spots these countries earned for good placement? Not sure what you meant by "use current ISU system."

I.e., why does Japan get three, Finland one, Russia and US two? Is it based on last year's Worlds results? ISU world standings (as of what date)?

And how did you come up with the names?

Are those specific skaters prequalified on account of their world standings or specific past international results?

Are you going down the list of results at Japanese, Finnish, and Russian nationals and choosing the top finishers on the theory that that's who the federations would choose to send to fill those spots?

Are you guessing that the top two finishers at US Nationals who are not already prequalified according to your rules 2 and 3 will be two of Gao, Wagner, and Zhang? In that case, if someone else places higher than two or three of those ladies at US Nationals, then that someone else could be sent instead? Or is there some rule by which only those three skaters, plus the three who are prequalified based on last year's Worlds and GPF finish, would be eligible, and even if all the medalists at Nationals turn out to be skaters whose names you didn't mention in your post, none of them would be allowed to compete at Worlds because they don't have the right international qualifications?

What probably makes more sense to me would be to say something like all GPF medalists and all European and Four Continents medalists from this season, and maybe all Worlds medalists from last season, get a free spot at Worlds without affecting the number of open entries their country is allowed to send. Then each country is also allowed to send one additional skater. Or maybe two or three skaters based on past results, although figuring out a fair formula to decide that would be tricky.

Who does or doesn't have to skate qualifying rounds is another tricky question.

Good questions.

1.) I'm basing it on previous worlds results just like now. So with three skaters -- if the top two skaters' placement is less than 13 = 3 skaters less than 28 = 2 skaters. With two skaters, it's the same. With one skater if the skater places top 2 = 3 skaters top 10 = 2 skaters.

2.) The names are a rough based on already completed nationals. Of course each federation could still choose their skaters under my proposed system. (Hence choosing not to automatically place European or 4CC medalists as that's a way federations choose their skaters). I'm guessing Gao, Wagner and Zhang because they are who I think would likely qualify but if someone else finishes ahead of them, of course they would qualify. I think I'm going to edit it to leave it blank.

3.) The ISU is already starting a qualifying round system this year. Basically 18 skaters are sent directly (forget the criteria) then the remaining 12 entries (for a total of 30) are from a qualifying round. I think it's reasonable that some ISU members would go for it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay folks I've played around with it based on the feedback....

Also changed the title to encourage others to come up with their own systems. :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Quick thought before I go to bed (might give more tomorrow):

What about Carolina Kostner? She won silver, so shouldn't be be on the list of GPF medalists?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Quick thought before I go to bed (might give more tomorrow):

What about Carolina Kostner? She won silver, so shouldn't be be on the list of GPF medalists?

Ah. She was qualified under my first version for being Top 10. Forgot to correct in new version. Corrected.

Ivana

On the Ice
Interesting idea. As a figure skating fan I can say that seeing more skaters would be awesome.
However with ISU, cutting down the spots year by year, such a model is more then unlikely.

Selina11

Rinkside
What do you mean with 42 entries total? Do you mean the full number of competitors, with the skaters who skate only the qualifying round? There were 53 ladies at the last three worlds, why do you want to limit the number of entries to 42? The ISU made a minimum score rule for ISU Championships at the last ISU congress, which is already too difficult for many skaters from smaller federations to reach, so they cant even skate the qualifying round. I dont like the idea to limit the entries number at worlds, or did i misunderstood something?

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think she means 42 in the short program, after cuts are made from a qualifying round or prior competition.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What do you mean with 42 entries total? Do you mean the full number of competitors, with the skaters who skate only the qualifying round? There were 53 ladies at the last three worlds, why do you want to limit the number of entries to 42? The ISU made a minimum score rule for ISU Championships at the last ISU congress, which is already too difficult for many skaters from smaller federations to reach, so they cant even skate the qualifying round. I dont like the idea to limit the entries number at worlds, or did i misunderstood something?

42 entries total. Basically 7 groups of six. The qualifying round (or competition) would provide for remaining spots not covered by other federations.

And the ISU is trending toward having less competitors at the Worlds with not only a qualifying score, but I believe some competitors even have to do a qualifying round at worlds (though I don't know that for sure).

And I don't think the minimal score rule is that tough for even for the smallest federations. Tony Wheeler's at Flutzing Around is doing a Roster watch for europeans where he lists the minimum total elements score for ladies 15.0 in the short program, and 25.0 in the free skate..

So in the short program you probably could do all doubles and level 1 spins and steps and make the minimum per this example:
double axel -3.3
double loop- 1.8
double toe loop-double toe loop - 2.8
LSp1 - 1.5
CSp1 - 1.4
CCoSp1 - 2.0
SiS1- 1.8

TOTAL= 14.60
You would only need a 0.4 +GOE to make that minimal score. But point is that even skaters from the smallest federations are doing harder content than that. Of course, they lose major points for -GOE or falling or URs...

At the 2010 Worlds...all but 7 of the 53 competitors made the minimal score for the short program. And all 24 competitors in the free skate made the minimal score required for the FS.

gkelly

Record Breaker
the minimum total elements score for ladies 15.0 in the short program, and 25.0 in the free skate..

So in the short program you probably could do all doubles and level 1 spins and steps and make the minimum per this example:
double axel -3.3
double loop- 1.8
double toe loop-double toe loop - 2.8

In a junior short program, this would work fine (in years when the junior required jump out of steps is double or triple loop -- the other years they would use double lutz or flip as required).

And it is possible for 15- to 19-year-olds to use scores earned in junior competition to qualify them for the senior championships.

In senior competition, though, both the jump out of steps and at least one jump in the combination are required to be triple -- otherwise the GOE is an automatic -3. Which means that the remaining value of those two elements after GOE reduction will be very small if only doubles are attempted. Upgrading to, say, 2F+2Lo and 2Lz from steps would only gain a few more tenths of a point.

Skaters who just plain can't come close to executing any triples will include doubles in their senior SPs, but they would need to do a lot better than level 1 with 0 GOE on the nonjump elements to meet the minimum score.

If they can stand up on attempts at the easier triples, they might be better off planning, say, 3T+2T and 3S from steps. Even if both triple attempts end up getting downgraded, they might earn only -2 instead of -3. And, as of this year, if they're a little closer to full rotation, the < "underrotation" penalty, 70% of the triple base value, would be worth more than the double base value for << downgrades.

In long programs triples or double axels are not required, so the skaters can do whatever jumps they're comfortable with and earn positive GOE on them as applicable.

It would still be preferable for those skaters to have strong spins and steps to make up for the less-than-senior jump content or quality.

Strong PCS will help their placement, e.g., give them a chance of making the cut to the free program at Euros or 4Cs, but it won't help them get to those championships in the first place because the minimum scores are based on TES only.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In a junior short program, this would work fine (in years when the junior required jump out of steps is double or triple loop -- the other years they would use double lutz or flip as required).

And it is possible for 15- to 19-year-olds to use scores earned in junior competition to qualify them for the senior championships.

In senior competition, though, both the jump out of steps and at least one jump in the combination are required to be triple -- otherwise the GOE is an automatic -3. Which means that the remaining value of those two elements after GOE reduction will be very small if only doubles are attempted. Upgrading to, say, 2F+2Lo and 2Lz from steps would only gain a few more tenths of a point.

Skaters who just plain can't come close to executing any triples will include doubles in their senior SPs, but they would need to do a lot better than level 1 with 0 GOE on the nonjump elements to meet the minimum score.

If they can stand up on attempts at the easier triples, they might be better off planning, say, 3T+2T and 3S from steps. Even if both triple attempts end up getting downgraded, they might earn only -2 instead of -3. And, as of this year, if they're a little closer to full rotation, the < "underrotation" penalty, 70% of the triple base value, would be worth more than the double base value for << downgrades.

In long programs triples or double axels are not required, so the skaters can do whatever jumps they're comfortable with and earn positive GOE on them as applicable.

It would still be preferable for those skaters to have strong spins and steps to make up for the less-than-senior jump content or quality.

Strong PCS will help their placement, e.g., give them a chance of making the cut to the free program at Euros or 4Cs, but it won't help them get to those championships in the first place because the minimum scores are based on TES only.

Ahh good points. I don't know every nuance of the COP, so your points are very much appreciated.

But I guess that's the frustration and reasoning behind proposing this roster system. Why is it that someone like Akiko Suzuki, who has done a program with a 3F-2T; 3Z and 2A is out of luck but someone that can barely do a 3S; 3T-2T and 2A and have level 1 spins can because they're from a country with no competition?

I would think the minimal score rule should motivate those federations to fess up and get their skaters up to par...but I have a feeling that might not happen.

I think this thread (a good one btw) should have introduced the present method of determining the Worlds roster. I believe there is a contest in Austria that choose skaters to fill the blank slots after the top skaters are named.

In his first Worlds, Johnny Weir went from his assigned group in No. 3 for the elimination round, and then went into the SP in group 2; and then into the final six round for the LP. He placed 5th. Not bad for a first time Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think this thread (a good one btw) should have introduced the present method of determining the Worlds roster. I believe there is a contest in Austria that choose skaters to fill the blank slots after the top skaters are named.

In his first Worlds, Johnny Weir went from his assigned group in No. 3 for the elimination round, and then went into the SP in group 2; and then into the final six round for the LP. He placed 5th. Not bad for a first time Worlds.

Good point Joe. I will list it here as well as the first post. This system is actually new just passed at recent ISU Congress last June. Should be interesting to see how this works.

1.) 30 entries in the short program. 24 move on to the Free Skate.
1a. ) Each ISU member nation can have one skater participate given if that skater meets a TES minimum score in both the short and free skate in any ISU event.
1b.) The top 18 member nations from last year's Worlds get a direct pass to the short program.
1c. ) Remaining competitors will do what they call a "preliminary round" for the remaining 12 spots.

2.) Countries can earn additional spots by scoring well the previous year. They are based on the skaters' previous placement. (Skaters who don't make the free skate automatically get 20th.)
2a. For three skaters, the top two placements are factored. If their placements equal less than 13, then they keep three skaters. If it's higher than 13, they drop to two skaters. If those skaters placements equal more than 28 they drop to one skater.
2b. For two skaters, both placements are factored the same as that of 2a.
2c. For one skater, three skaters can be sent if that skater places in the top 2. Two skaters can be sent if the skater places in the top 10. Otherwise they get just one skater if they drop below the top 10.
2d. If a nation gets multiple skaters, they are still bound by the direct entry rules. See NOTE below.

3.) Federations can still use their own system to determine who is sent to the competition.

So based on that...the direct entries to Worlds in the Ladies would be (names are filled in for teams already named).
1. JPN Mao Asada
2. KOR Yu-na Kim
3. FIN
4. JPN Miki Ando
5. CAN
6. ITA Carolina Kostner
7. USA
8. RUS Alena Leonova
9. USA
10. SWE Viktoria Helgesson?
11. JPN Kanako Murakami
12. GER
13. RUS Ksenia Makarova
14. GBR Jenna McCorkell
15. HUN
16. CHN
17. AUS
18. GEO

Final spots qualified from preliminary round

NOTE: The second skater from South Korea, Finland and Canada would have to compete in a qualifying round because those skaters did not place well enough (Kiira was 19th, Min-Jung was 22nd and Myrianne Samson didn't qualify for the Free Skate) for a direct qualification.
(EDIT: According to a post on FSU, the skater who would have to do the QR would be the one with the lowest world standing.)

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
But I guess that's the frustration and reasoning behind proposing this roster system. Why is it that someone like Akiko Suzuki, who has done a program with a 3F-2T; 3Z and 2A is out of luck but someone that can barely do a 3S; 3T-2T and 2A and have level 1 spins can because they're from a country with no competition?

Well, it has always been the case that the number of entries from each federation is limited and that skaters who fall outside the limits in the standings of a country with a deep field get left home while weaker skaters from countries with weaker fields often get to compete.

Part of the reason things work that way is that the members of the ISU are federations, not individual skaters, and they all want to be represented.

Your proposal and variations thereof would increase the maximum number of skaters from really deep countries and still allow all federations at least one entry to the first stage of the qualifying process.

I would think the minimal score rule should motivate those federations to fess up and get their skaters up to par...but I have a feeling that might not happen.

Well, it's not that the federations whose best skaters are iffy to achieve the minimum score have any guilty secrets to confess (fess up) to. Or that the federations or skaters are just plain not trying to do their best.

The fact is that excellence in skating requires a combination of natural talent, good coaching, and lots of practice on relatively empty and well-maintained ice. The latter two are expensive -- the money needs to come from somewhere, whether it be from the skaters' families, the federation, the national government, or private sponsors.

If the country has very few ice rinks with very little ice time available for figure skating training, and no elite-level coaches, then
-the total number of figure skaters in that country will likely be low
-the number of skaters with the physical talent to do triple jumps at all will be very low
-the number of skaters with the physical talent to do triple jumps and the financial support to obtain the necessary coaching expertise and ice time abroad will be even lower

So they might develop only one skater every few years who is capable of earning the minimum score, or skating a clean legal senior short program. When they have one, they send him or her to ISU championships. When they don't, they don't send their skaters to internationals at all, or they send them only to junior and senior B events.

Or they recruit skaters who already live and train in somewhere that there are more resources for developing elite skaters who have family or some other connections to their country to represent them at international events.

Choose a US state with a small population and few ice rinks or figure skating clubs (e.g., Idaho or Mississippi). How often do skaters from that state ever qualify for US Nationals? The obstacles they face are similar to those faced by skaters from countries with similarly limited resources. They're probably never going to get consistent triple jumps and international senior-level skills in general unless they relocate to a more advantageous training base. But it's a lot easier to move to California or Texas or Florida or Michigan from another US state than it is to move there from, say, New Zealand or South Africa.

Good point Joe. I will list it here as well as the first post. This system is actually new just passed at recent ISU Congress last June. Should be interesting to see how this works.

1.) 30 entries in the short program. 24 move on to the Free Skate.
1a. ) Each ISU member nation can have one skater participate given if that skater meets a TES minimum score in both the short and free skate in any ISU event.
1b.) The top 18 member nations from last year's Worlds get a direct pass to the short program.
1c. ) Remaining competitors will do what they call a "preliminary round" for the remaining 12 spots.

2.) Countries can earn additional spots by scoring well the previous year. They are based on the skaters' previous placement. (Skaters who don't make the free skate automatically get 20th.)
2a. For three skaters, the top two placements are factored. If their placements equal less than 13, then they keep three skaters. If it's higher than 13, they drop to two skaters. If those skaters placements equal more than 28 they drop to one skater.
2b. For two skaters, both placements are factored the same as that of 2a.
2c. For one skater, three skaters can be sent if that skater places in the top 2. Two skaters can be sent if the skater places in the top 10. Otherwise they get just one skater if they drop below the top 10.
2d. If a nation gets multiple skaters, they are still bound by the direct entry rules. See NOTE below.

3.) Federations can still use their own system to determine who is sent to the competition.

So based on that...the direct entries to Worlds in the Ladies would be (names are filled in for teams already named).
1. JPN Mao Asada
2. KOR Yu-na Kim
3. FIN
4. JPN Miki Ando
5. CAN
6. ITA Carolina Kostner
7. USA
8. RUS Alena Leonova
9. USA
10. SWE Viktoria Helgesson?
11. JPN Kanako Murakami
12. GER
13. RUS Ksenia Makarova
14. GBR Jenna McCorkell
15. HUN
16. CHN
17. AUS
18. GEO

Final spots qualified from preliminary round

NOTE: The second skater from South Korea, Finland and Canada would have to compete in a qualifying round because those skaters did not place well enough (Kiira was 19th, Min-Jung was 22nd and Myrianne Samson didn't qualify for the Free Skate) for a direct qualification. I believe that is probably to the discretion of the federation of who would have to compete in that round. I would doubt that Korea would have Yu-Na doing that preliminary round. Or maybe they would to ensure the second skater would get in through direct and that Yu-Na would easily qualify in such a round.
Thank you so much, Mrs. P. I was not aware of the changes.

1. Same as before: 30 in the SP; 24 in LP. So for the groupings: 5 for SP; 4 for LP.

1a That would mean "B" competitions count. hmmm.
1b. Why not? although I think some fans might want an all out battle on 1 competition from this year.
1c. That's the same as in previous years (betcha it's Austria)

2a. and 2b. is as we always knew it.
2c is a bit confusing to me. Can you give an example?
2d. I think what is being said, that if one top skater has a bye to the Worlds, the second skater still has to prove him/her self. That would be a big change if I'm reading correctly. I would think then, only the Winner of the previous Worlds' Federation can send more than one skater. Just guessing. I don't know.

Having a preliminary round to fill the slots is not new.

Last edited: