Patrick Chan Article in Maclean's | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan Article in Maclean's

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ah, there we go. But people were going back to Takahashi at 4CC and such, so I thought it was worth bringing up. As seniorita mentions, it was fairly common in the 2001-2004 heyday of Goebbel, Yagudin and Plushenko, and only less common now.

I do find it rather amusing, though, that Chan and Reynolds both find the quad much easier than the triple axel. Did Vaughn Chipeur ever land the quad? His 3A was pretty huge.

I do find it rather amusing, though, that Chan and Reynolds both find the quad much easier than the triple axel. Did Vaughn Chipeur ever land the quad? His 3A was pretty huge.
There was sort of a TV documentary of body type that could turn in the air 4 rotations. Slender, no hips were the key. Goebel was shown to have those gifts as well as Sasha Cohen who dropped practicing the quad, and Goebel developed spinal problems after 2003,

The problems with the 3A, imo, is that forward outside edge entry. There are no official landings of jumps on a forward outside edge excet the bunny hop, so the edge is kind of overlooked in Single skating except for step sequences. It's not like Ice Dance which uses all the edges constantly. Skaters should practice FO edges to make them feel secure for a solid take-off of an axel. I believe the difficulty in executing an axel is in its take-off.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Certainly Dick Button had a habit of going on in his commentary about that "treacherous" FO edge, warning people that the 2A could be easily missed, too.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
yes I meant the last year, lambiel at euros and olys, joubert at worlds and bradley at nationals:rock:

Lambiel's quads at the Olympics last year were really second rate though. And he attempted NO triple axels in the whole competition. He wasn't bringing the sport to new heights from a technical standpoint, he was just avoiding a key jump that gave him trouble and attempted to make up for it by performing a more difficult jump weakly. He was taking the Mao Asada approach, and as we all know, it doesn't work when the field is so deep.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Isn't Chan doing the same??(from the articles I mean). He takes one 3axel out and prefers to land a second quad, he probably thinks he is more safe like this.
I didnt say Lambiel was technically perfect, I just pointed out he was the only one trying this in Olympics. I know his quads were weak but It is not like every skater without a good 3axel is landing 2 quads in Olympics.;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Certainly Dick Button had a habit of going on in his commentary about that "treacherous" FO edge, warning people that the 2A could be easily missed, too.

Christina Gao is an example of this unfortunately. Check out her GPF Final FS. Basically she does a nice 3F-3T(as you can see in the beginning of the program), but then she goes and steps off her 2A. And the 2A has been problematic in her other programs.

Hopefully Mr. Triple Axel is working on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74JzirLs3wA&playnext=1&list=PL4E130D4BBDD48D3C&index=98