Chan To Do Two Quads In His LP At Canadian Nationals | Golden Skate

Chan To Do Two Quads In His LP At Canadian Nationals

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are numerous articles from the conference call with the press.

This one is quite complete and concise though I don't like the title:

Chan seeks quad king title
Adds second quad for Canadian Nationals

..........Here are the key quotes from his press conference:

On changes since the Grand Prix Final

After the Grand Prix Final I was able to do both quads in both programs so I thought I could up my program a little bit. Me and [Coach] Christy [Krall], we agreed that we would start practicing the long program with two quads in it - so back-to- back quads in the opening.... It's pretty sure that we're going to do it at Nationals.

On quad competition with teammate Kevin Reynolds

I'm really excited since I'm going to be bringing two quads and I know he's pretty much the quad king so we're going to have quite a good quad battle and I think we haven't had that in a while, so it's going to be great to have the top two, maybe even top three men doing quads in their programs so I'm very excited for that.

On whether he needs a quad to win the world title

I'm going to need it this year, for sure...With Daisuke [Takahashi] pushing the bar with the quad flip and Nobu [Oda] and Takahiko [Kozuka] are both doing quads as well, it's only fair for me to do the same. I have to keep up with them, so putting the quad in the program is no question at all.

On support from Olympic champion Brian Boitano

Before Grand Prix Final I spoke to Brian Boitano. That really helped me and that really, actually I think that's what gave me the extra edge at the Grand Prix Final to do well. It gave me that focus I was always striving for and I'm going to call him before I go to Nationals. He's a really really good mentor and he's really wise.

On returning to B.C. and lessons learned from the Olympics

I'm still learning from the Olympics. The confidence you gain from the Olympics, you seem to age as a skater. You get some kind of maturity, another big chunk of maturity under your belt after going to the Olympics because it kind of gives you perspective... Maybe if I came home with a medal I wouldn't have done this well the next season. I'm really happy with how things are right now and I think I wouldn't ever trade it for anything else. I don't even think I would trade it for a gold medal at the Olympics cause I've grown as an athlete beyond I could ever imagine.

On living with his mother in Colorado where he trains

I don't think my mom's going to let me go for another couple years. She's going to be sticking with me. She's living with me and looking after me - just making sure I'm in line.

Patrick has been fighting a cold with bad coughs. I hope he gets over it soon before the Nationals.

Getting excited to see both Patrick and Kevin, who has improved his artistry so much this year. Too bad J10 had surgery and is sick recently. The other three disciplines will be interesting too without the top skaters, except maybe Tessa and Scott who may compete. It seems other ladies and teams are stepping up

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Just observed the same news has been posted by Skatefiguring with a slightly different title from Universal sports, sorry for that, moderators may remove it.

IN has him adding another quad to be sure he beats Reynolds in the quad race. :confused: :rolleye:

Reynolds does 3 different quads, Chan will just afaik put the second toeloop quad in combo. Is that correct? - not sure. (big deal, Lambiel was doing ToeLoopQuads combos back in 2004.)

The article also claims he will be doing the quads upfront in his program a la Plushenko, which, to me, will show crossovers in a circle to get the required speed - same as one does them in practice. The program may be devoid of transitions into the quad. Look for that carefully. Why use music except for the rest of the program? No?

I'm a big fan of Patrick's flow over the ice. He has long legs to show that. But what else?

BRaZILIANSKaTER

Rinkside
The article also claims he will be doing the quads upfront in his program a la Plushenko, which, to me, will show crossovers in a circle to get the required speed - same as one does them in practice. The program may be devoid of transitions into the quad. Look for that carefully. Why use music except for the rest of the program? No?

I don´t understand this king of critics... I really miss the times when Plushenko and Yagudin used to to back-to-back quads. Now it´s dificult to see even back-to-back triple axels, once many of the top skaters today can´t land two good triple axels in the same program. After Evan´s gold (which I think he deserved, once Plushenko's program was technically worse) I was afrais that we wouldn´t see quads this season. I was very happy when I saw Patrick trying quads and 3 Axel/3Toe combos. And than some other skaters started (or began again) to try quads along this season.
As a male skater I love to see quads permed, no matter if back-to-back. If Patrick spend the entire first minute to do the two quads, he still has 3 and a half minutes to fulfill with transitions and interpretation and footwork... whatever... JUST BRING THE QUADS BACK TO MALE FIGURE SKATING, PLEAAAASE!!!!!!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are two current threads going regarding Patrick's quads in his LP. Here is something about Lori Nichol, which could go into the Rachael's New SP thread also :laugh: but since Patrick is specifically talked about, I'll link it here:

Choreographer Nichol thrives despite hectic schedule

CBCSports.ca: CBCSports.ca: Which brings us to his quadruple toe loop jump. While the jump isn't perfect, he's really making strides with it. At Skate Canada, he struggled in the short program, but then nailed the quad in the free skate and it seemed the weight of the world had lifted. Do you agree?

Nichol: Yes. He's been landing so many quad toes in practice and it is his best jump, which is phenomenal. When you're actually standing on the ice with him and he does that quad toe you cannot believe how fast he goes into it, how far it travels and how high it is. So he knew that he could really do it. But it did lift a weight off his shoulders and he believes he can do it in any competition.

About Chan's 3A on the same page:

"The triple Axel has always been a really tough jump for him — always," Nichol told CBCSports.ca. "I don't know how he did it but he used to miss them constantly [in training] and then go out in competition and pull them out.

"And that was like a false sense [because] he had never really learned a triple Axel. The technique is there and he really understands what he's doing. That's what Christy has really been working on with him is getting that triple Axel where it's [a] very consistent technique. It's also an edge jump, which, boy if there's a jump that goes wrong it's usually an edge jump. It's just something that he still hasn't mastered but it has definitely improved."

"That is the biggest [priority] on the plate right now," said Nichol."

So he used to miss his 3As at practice but landed it beautifully at competitions, as has been marveled by commentators, wondering how he did it. Then he started doing breathtaking 4Ts in practice and fell in competitions!

Interesting. He should figure out and cultivate his mindset at pulling off the 3A before.

Last edited by a moderator:

herios

Medalist
Skatefiguring

Although sometimes Patrick's 3a was really beautiful, his consistency on that jump was not very good. He rarely landed both his 3 a cleanly, tha majority of thecases he landed only one of the two in his LP (failing on the second one most of the cases).
That is why, if his 4t, the % of landing it in practice is high enough, it will be a smart strategy I think to have two 4t's rather than two 3a's.
For a first time I see in an article a more realistic approach to his comments here, because he usually does a lot of cocky peptalk in his interviews which made me root for "others" rather than him. I like my skaters to be humble and down to earth, and he was anything but...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Herios, Patrick's 3A inconsistency started showing up after his injury, beginning with the disastrous 2009 SC. I was surprised he actually increased the difficulty of doing this jump this season, with preceding footwork and in combination with 3T. The inconsistency this season is somewhat understandable and generally expected with the addition of the quads. What is interesting is before all this, when he started doing 3A, when we saw him in competitions, he just did it, often beautifully, much like the way he had added other jumps previously. The commentators were all amazed because they knew he had missed them all in practice leading up to the competition. Now Nichol is confirming what he has been admitting, that 3A is a problem jump for him and he still has to grasp the basic technique. It is weird because when he gets it, it's often beautifully done so it's not like he doesn't know how to do it. Even when he falls, it is after full rotations, so there's just something missing, which often seems to be mental focus.

I study the working of the mind. Often when someone doesn't expect problems, or doesn't know what is supposed to be difficult or even impossible, problems just don't arise. Awareness and/or expectation of problems almost always bring on the problems. This kind of phenomenon is very common medically which is why placebos work and people actually die from misdiagnosed diseases out of belief, especially from diseases they have been fearing. I can't say what's going on in Patrick's head but there was a time competitions were easy for him, when he competed better than he practiced. He has admitted such in a recent interview, saying his mindset has changed since growing older, having more concerns when competing compared to when he was younger. I guess the same explains the not uncommon occurences of a young unknown girl winning the OGM over the heavy favorites. Pressures, doubts, worries and anxieties play havoc with performances.

Coaches are professionals and know how skaters are supposed to train and what proper techniques are. But sometimes ultra successful people in different fields have something that works for them that others are not aware of, or disbelieve in and want to dissuade and discourage them out of. It's often a mindset and a person should always hold on to what works in spite of conventional and contrary wisdom. Patrick is more than talented, he works hard and he searches solutions to technical and mental problems. He is making incredible progress this year and I can't imagine how far he can go.

We have to agree to disagree on his personality. It's about perception, which can easily be colored by preconception. I only have my own perception and words of those who actually know him to go by.

bibi24

Final Flight
This kind of phenomenon is very common medically which is why placebos work and people actually die from misdiagnosed diseases out of belief, especially from diseases they have been fearing.

Wow this is truly fascinating! Thanks for the wonderful insight made my day :):):)

Nadine

Record Breaker
Geeze, I just lost what I typed. :(

Let's see if I can recall, hmmm, okay I got it now. :)^)

Kevin Reynolds plans to knock off Chan at Canadian Nationals: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Reynolds+aims+upset+champ/4124378/story.html

Lol, not in so many words, rather journalism hyping the event, as expected.

Kevin is too much of a gentleman to say those words, though he does have the heart of a champion, as he plans to skate clean while completing the hardest elements at the same time, including quads galore! :thumbsup:

I'm finding articles left & right now that both US Nationals & Canadian Nationals is almost upon us. Just think, in 3 more days the men will be skating at Canadian Nationals ~ I'm hyped & totally pumped for Kevin to do well!!!! And then right afterwards US Nationals begins, and already I feel joy & excitement, looking for articles, scanning the boards, finally it's here!!!!! :party:

GOOOOOOOOOOOO NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JUST BRING THE QUADS BACK TO MALE FIGURE SKATING, PLEAAAASE!!!!!!!
Hey, Brazil. I agree with you. The problem is the damn music in the SP which should just be showing the Elements and not the Ballet Arms in pretty sequenced dresses. But the consensus is to have two heart wrenching artistic musical numbers when one is enough. (like that's going to happen? :laugh:) In Gymnatics, the Men do not use music for their floor work. It's a test of Sport.

Why not let the Men in the SP show their prowess any which way they want and without the music? The Ladies could continue using the music, and we could go get a beer. :thumbsup:

herios

Medalist
Hey, Brazil. I agree with you. The problem is the damn music in the SP which should just be showing the Elements and not the Ballet Arms in pretty sequenced dresses. But the consensus is to have two heart wrenching artistic musical numbers when one is enough. (like that's going to happen? :laugh:) In Gymnatics, the Men do not use music for their floor work. It's a test of Sport.

Why not let the Men in the SP show their prowess any which way they want and without the music? The Ladies could continue using the music, and we could go get a beer. :thumbsup:

Oh. c'mon now. Skating without music. Let's get serious. Go then watch baseball and you can have all the beer you want.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are threads under Canadian Nationals for discussing the event but I'll link this here since it's mostly about Chan, as well as including a list of Canadian jump records:

Sky is the limit for Patrick Chan

and in Quad jump for joy , there is a mention of and quotes from
Patricia Chafe, a consultant to Skate Canada whose company, Jump Beyond, creates strategies for skaters to take advantage of the judging system.

Hmmmm, something for Blade Of Passion to look into since he wishes to be a "Program Doctor" specializing in jump layout rearrangements for existing choreographies.

Nadine

Record Breaker
:party:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEVIN & PATRICK ~ LAND THOSE QUADS ~ SHOW THEM HOW IT'S DONE!!!!!:party:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:party:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KEVIN & PATRICK ~ LAND THOSE QUADS ~ SHOW THEM HOW IT'S DONE!!!!!:party:

No better place for the Canadian boys to land the quads than the Land Of The Quads, where it got started.

However, Canada is more than the Land Of The Quads. It's the icy land of skating, which is a lot more than quads.

Nadine

Record Breaker
p.s. I hope Elvis is in attendance, what a joy it must be to see so many quads from the King of them (7-time National Champ, 3-time World Champ, and 2-time Olympic Silver Medalist)!!!!!! :cool: Not bad for one that was just called a jumping machine, lol. :D The spirit of Elvis lives on!!!!!!!!! :party:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The spirit of Elvis lives on!!!!!!!!! :party:

No please. Elvis accomplished what he accomplished in his time. But skating has moved on to so much more than just big jumps. The emphasis changes like the pendulum's swings but the all round skaters have always been the greatest and most admired in any era.