The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Possible Podium Spoilers at the US Nats

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Hmmm. I don't see Gao overtaking Wagner unless Ashley implodes. I don't think Gao has much artistry yet.

Well, Ashley is prone to mistakes and has lots of technical issues with her skating. Gao has very strong technique, plans 7 triples in her FS and a 3-3 in her SP, and falls victim to URs and 2-foots far less often than Ashley does. Her spins aren't the best but she gets the high levels and her +GOE on jumps should make up for the lack of it on some of her spins. I also expect Christina's PCS will be a lot higher than last year's nationals and further, if Ashley bombs the SP I don't think she'll receive as much PCS inflation as she will if she skates a clean SP. Agnes has a lot of the same strengths as Christina, although she has been far more inconsistent in the FS thus far this season.

Layfan

Record Breaker
That's true. With Alissa it's not that there was ever a dramatic deterioration in her skating. It's more that she had trouble skating clean all along. Maybe she's a slower than when she was younger - and she hasn't tried a 3-3 in years and years. But there's no major deterioration.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Well, Ashley is prone to mistakes and has lots of technical issues with her skating. Gao has very strong technique, plans 7 triples in her FS and a 3-3 in her SP, and falls victim to URs and 2-foots far less often than Ashley does. Her spins aren't the best but she gets the high levels and her +GOE on jumps should make up for the lack of it on some of her spins. I also expect Christina's PCS will be a lot higher than last year's nationals and further, if Ashley bombs the SP I don't think she'll receive as much PCS inflation as she will if she skates a clean SP. Agnes has a lot of the same strengths as Christina, although she has been far more inconsistent in the FS thus far this season.

I kind of agree. That's why I said I think that even if Ashley is solid Christina or Agnes just might edge her out by out-jumping her. But I do think Ashley has a certain polish that is not quite there yet with Christina and Agnes. And it's worth noting that Ashely posted the second highest score this season among the U.S. ladies, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think none of these skaters are vastly superior to the other so it'll come down to who has their A-game.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I think Armin is the most likely underdog to make the podium in the men's competition. I really like him. He already has beaten Adam once this season.
As for ladies, I think Christina or Agnes is the most likely, but I'm practically sure it will be Alissa, Mirai, Rachael and Ashley in some order. Then again, I'm not saying that's how it will be. I never would have guessed Alissa would have won the GPF.

Mystic

Rinkside
What about possible podium spoilers for pairs and dance?
Pairs - Castelli and Schnapir, Marley and Brubaker, Davis and Theftheris, Vise and Baldwin and Donlan and Speroff.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would love to see Ashley pull a big surprise and make the top 2 and the World team or even win. It seems she has been in the shadows of Flatt, Nagasu, and Zhang forever (she is clearly above Zhang now but her biggest career achievements still pale and might always pale in comparision to Zhangs's). I have a feeling if Ashley doesnt make it higher than 3rd this year she never will again as she is older than Flatt and Nagasu, and the younger ones from behind are coming up fast.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'd love to see double wins from Team Orser. How cool would it be if Adam and Christina were both the US Champions just 1 year after Yuna won Olympic Gold? That would be SO AWESOME and it isn't completely out of the question (although not the likeliest of situations, either).

SkateSkates

Medalist
I could definitely see Ashley skating well - the last time she was out of the spotlight as a "frontrunner" (2008), she skated two clean programs with triple-triples in both, finishing second in both segments of the competition.

evangeline

Record Breaker
I'd love to see double wins from Team Orser. How cool would it be if Adam and Christina were both the US Champions just 1 year after Yuna won Olympic Gold? That would be SO AWESOME and it isn't completely out of the question (although not the likeliest of situations, either).

I for one would hate to see how terrible the ladies competition at US Nationals would be if Christina Gao wins the US title. Not very awesome at all. Realistically, Gao is at the mercy of how well the US top ladies fare--as headcase-ish as some of the top US ladies are, I highly doubt that all 4 of Czisny, Nagasu, Wagner and Flatt will bomb in a single competition.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just have to say this sport is dead. :(((( Seriously, 2 days before Canadian Nationals & less than a week before US Nationals, and there are only a handful of regular posters posting. And not just here, but elsewhere on the 'net as well.

This makes me long for the days of old when skating was popular. I miss Adrian Chew's old original figure skating message board where hundreds of posters regularly posted each day. Can't believe it was 13 yrs. ago. :(

The one bright side was seeing how many people turned out for Skate America in Portland, Oregon, there must've been at least a thousand or more people around me, definitely 1000+ times more people that actually attend a skating event versus the handful that actually post on the f.s. boards nowadays.

Here's hoping US Nationals is also well attended and the t.v. ratings go up a bit. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Usually posting goes up after an event, as the posters refight the event. What is disappointing me is that not too many folks seem to be watching the Canadian Juniors. Their dancers are particularly good, and what's more at least 4 different sets of coaches from at least 3 parts of the country are in the top 6 teams. (Which I think is excellent). Here in the states, the top of nationals is so often an inter Detroit competition.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This makes me long for the days of old when skating was popular. I miss Adrian Chew's old original figure skating message board where hundreds of posters regularly posted each day. Can't believe it was 13 yrs. ago. :(

was never a fan of that group, loved Skate Forum, but that was before Adrian Chew did his all encompasing FS board... once Skate Forum tanked I came here.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Totally off-topic, my apologies everyone, but where's poster janetfan? :confused:

I remember he used to post every day, what happened? Of course I'm not here all the time either, especially during the holidays, but did I miss something?

Just seems weird not to see his constant postings every day, sure I didn't always agree with his POV, but I can't believe I actual miss his postings. :)

Here's hoping he's allright, and just taking a break from the board. :)^)

What about possible podium spoilers for pairs and dance?
Pairs - Castelli and Schnapir, Marley and Brubaker, Davis and Theftheris, Vise and Baldwin and Donlan and Speroff.
You listed so many that I am really perked up about to see. I think Castelli and Schnapir being the most seasoned and experienced will win it. Hoping M/B get the other spot because he lost out last year when he was the favorite.

Tesla

Final Flight
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I just have to say this sport is dead. :(((( Seriously, 2 days before Canadian Nationals & less than a week before US Nationals, and there are only a handful of regular posters posting. And not just here, but elsewhere on the 'net as well.

US Nationals is still a week away, and really, what is there to talk about until the competition starts? At this point, wheels are just spinning until the skaters get on the ice. It'll probably pick up a bit this weekend with Canadian nationals and Euros will start next week, too. Until the skaters get on the ice, there isn't really much to talk about.:confused2:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I for one would hate to see how terrible the ladies competition at US Nationals would be if Christina Gao wins the US title. Not very awesome at all. Realistically, Gao is at the mercy of how well the US top ladies fare--as headcase-ish as some of the top US ladies are, I highly doubt that all 4 of Czisny, Nagasu, Wagner and Flatt will bomb in a single competition.

In my opinion, she is better than Flatt, whose only redeeming traits were her consistency and ability to rotate jumps - both of which seem to have abandoned her this season, and Wagner, who I just don't think is that special/great, at this point. Czisny is lovely but her jump layouts are rather lame, she is not capable of doing a 3 jump combo it seems and it's been years and years since she's even attempted a 3-3 - this is 2011 not 1960! So that leaves Mirai - she is awesome and probably the best lady in the field right now, but she's also coming off an injury and prone to URs and meltdowns.

I don't see how it would be terrible at all if Christina Gao won nationals if she completes her beautiful 3f-3t in both programs and lands 7 of her high quality triples in the FS. It would be a great sign for the future of US figure skating. Lots of people think she's the next Yuna Kim. Everyone's hyping up Alissa but she's been around for ages, is probably past her prime, and has low jumps that are always questionable in terms of rotation. I really hope Christina, Agnes, Vanessa, or Yasmin wins nationals if Mirai doesn't because I think they all have heaps more potential than Czisny, Flatt and Wagner.

Nadine

Record Breaker
was never a fan of that group, loved Skate Forum, but that was before Adrian Chew did his all encompasing FS board... once Skate Forum tanked I came here.

Lol, Tonichelle, we must've posted at the same time last night, didn't see your post until now. :) I'm not sure I remember Skate Forum? But then again I didn't get back from Peace Corps until 1998, and that's when I caved in & went the way of the internet. Of course the first thing I did was sign up for the Oksana Baiul board, then Adrian Chew's board. Then that was blown to smithereens and everybody I recall from that time period (the ones still around at least) went in different directions ~ some to SkateFans, some to FSU, some here, and others to little boards here & there. It's truly good to see you & others still around after all these years. :)

Okay, back to the discussion at hand. Tesla, you have a good point! Yet I'm one that starts getting excited before the event, not during or after, lol, so here's hoping more & more people start posting!!!!! :thumbsup:

p.s. still wondering what happened to janetfan?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lol, Tonichelle, we must've posted at the same time last night, didn't see your post until now. :) I'm not sure I remember Skate Forum? But then again I didn't get back from Peace Corps until 1998, and that's when I caved in & went the way of the internet. Of course the first thing I did was sign up for the Oksana Baiul board, then Adrian Chew's board. Then that was blown to smithereens and everybody I recall from that time period (the ones still around at least) went in different directions ~ some to SkateFans, some to FSU, some here, and others to little boards here & there. It's truly good to see you & others still around after all these years. :)

Skate Forum was part of Skating Inc (also now defunct) they had official websites for Alexei Yagudin, Maria Butyrskaya, Angela Nikodinov and others... as well as "skate radio" which played music that skaters skated to, and several other great programs... they tanked when they tried to bring out the Skating Inc. Magazine... they just got stretched too thin, I think.

Layfan

Record Breaker
yeah ... where IS Janetfan?

Anyway, I'd like to see Christina dramatically improve her spins and even her presentation before I start calling her the next Yuna-Kim. So far I see her as as being in a similar position as rest of the U.S. ladies. Good - but not really able to compete with the best of the best internationally. Not yet anyway. The only two U.S. skaters who I see as mayyyyyy-beeee being competitive at the very top are Alissa and Mirai but they have the problems that we all know about. Still, they are my two favorites and I honestly think they are the best so I can't help but hope they go to worlds this time.

I think Armin could medal but I would definitely call him a long shot. He doesn't have a quad and Jeremy, Brandon and Ryan do. So think Armin - much I really loved his SA performance - would need those three and Adam to mess up. Which I know is totally possible. But still. That makes him a longshot.