Adrian Schultheiss: "You have to dare to dream..." | Golden Skate

Adrian Schultheiss: "You have to dare to dream..."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
With top competitive skaters showing so much talent and character to achieve the success they do, it is easy to forget most of them are very young persons with limited living skills and experiences. Adrian's financial concerns and not knowing how to cook properly for himself really affect his health and skating ability. It's not easy living alone and be responsible for yourself at a young age. Pretty simple fact that is easily overlooked.

Family support really does play a big part. Cultural backgrounds seem to make a big difference in how much a young athlete is looked after.

Example 1 - Takahiko Kozuka has always been taken care of and told what to do by his elders - parents, coaches, etc. He was by himself only during the two weeks in N America recently and he considers it a big step toward independence and maturity. Only lately has he acquired more confidence in himself and taken part in decision making concerning his skating. This development has served him well on ice this year but all the care bestowed on him thus far has undeniably contributed greatly to his achievements. (Kozuka is known for his love and cooking skills for barbeque but said in recent interview that he now makes sure to balance his diet with vegetables.)

Example 2 - Patrick Chan seems to have a very good situation going. He has very supportive parents and his mother sticks with him to make sure he's cared for but his team - parents and coaches - are respecting his new adulthood and he has input in how he trains and they design together what is best specifically for him. A very good balance that has produced great results if you ask me.

Another example is Christina Gao whose father stays with her in Toronto for training, a common practice among the American Asian families. Often one parent would move with their young talented skater to take care of him/her where they train. Such parental devotion and sacrifices definitely provide an advantage.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It would be good if he got that living situation in order. But I really like his R&J program-the music is really good and I think he sells it. If he does a quad/triple at Euros that would be impressive. Think he could be in the top 10 this year at Euros.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I love Adrian's SP this season, but I didn't really know the story behind it (even though I did catch his serpent-like movements).

Maybe after reading this article some of his fans will send out their applications to be his personal chef. :p

herios

Medalist
He was in the top 10 last year at Worlds!

I was kind of to say just a top 10 at Euros for the swedish skaters Adrian and Kristopher is not an achievement, a top 5 yes, it would be. They have been top 10 before and as time goes by and no improvement on that means not so much at all.

gmyers

Record Breaker
So I definitely hop he improves his Euro performance from last year. That's a better way to say it!

herios

Medalist
So I definitely hop he improves his Euro performance from last year. That's a better way to say it!

That means even 11th would be good for you, as he was only 12th last year:eek:

Adrian was a few years back 6th at the europeans, he needs to come at least close to that, someone who could land a 4t and a 3a needs to aim high, as there are not as many today able to do them consistently.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It would be great if he could make it to the final skating group. And I guess if he was 9th in the world with the Japanese and the North Americans than at Euros he should be in the top 6 or 5. Just with the coaching change and the reported injury I just feel that nearly any placement above where he was last year could be good.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I finally had the chance to sit down & read the article (btw thanks for posting it siberia82). :)

First off, I love the quote about dreams, as I too am a dreamer. In fact one of my all-time favorite quotes, which sits on my desktop, is as follows:

"Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be".

And I'm happy to hear that Adrian was the first Swede to land a quad at the Olympics! :thumbsup: As well he is landing the 4/3 combo. in practice, which he should definitely include in his repertoire at Europeans. :)^)

I understand motivation is hard for most athletes after Olympics & Worlds, totally understandable, so I can see why Adrian is maybe having a hard time getting his mojo back, especially after Skate America. :( But I think once things start flowing with his new coaches, choreography, et al, he'll be on top of the world again. :cool: