Michelle Attends U.S. State Dinner for China President Hu Jintao | Golden Skate

Michelle Attends U.S. State Dinner for China President Hu Jintao

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
She looks good! This is her third White House state function, each one with a different POTUS. At her last one, she had the conversation with Condi Rice that got her the public diplomacy gig; I wonder who she will be talking with tonight.

They poured Michelle into that dress! :laugh:

I knew she would be invited. President Hu probably insisted. No Michelle Kwan, no deal. :)

I was wondering when I saw that there was to be a state dinner whether Michelle would be a guest. Hooray for the Kween!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Me i like the dress, it is sunny gold:)
I remember she had a dinner with Bush and another president some ages ago but I didnt know how the whole dinner invitation thing came up and she became a representative out of alllll the politics people. Can someone inform me? I think it was before she finished her studies. Not many skaters eat with presidents, actually i dont know anybody else than Kwan:clap:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wowzer Michelle! Nice dress!! Love the new you since started dating :)

Chinese love Gold, and given you have collected plenty, I bet Prez Hu would love you too. A nice reminder doesn't hurt either!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Me i like the dress, it is sunny gold:)
I remember she had a dinner with Bush and another president some ages ago but I didnt know how the whole dinner invitation thing came up and she became a representative out of alllll the politics people. Can someone inform me? I think it was before she finished her studies. Not many skaters eat with presidents, actually i dont know anybody else than Kwan:clap:

When hosting a foreign dignitary, it is common for the President to invite famous Americans from that dignitary's country. So, when the Japanese premier was hosted, Kristi Yamaguchi and Rena Inoue went to the State dinner. Michelle first went to a state dinner hosted by then Pres. Clinton for the Chinese premier; then, she went to a state lunch hosted by then Pres. Bush, Jr. for Chinese president Hu. At that luncheon, she spoke with Condi Rice ... that led to Michelle's public diplomacy envoy job.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Wowzer Michelle! Nice dress!! Love the new you since started dating :)

Michelle has always looked great in gold, or just mostly looked great. However, we don't know exactly when she started dating, current beau or earlier boyfriends, so let's just credit herself for her beauty, as a young fit radiant women with inner strength and character.

Chinese love Gold, and given you have collected plenty, I bet Prez Hu would love you too. A nice reminder doesn't hurt either!

Gold Reserves: Tough for China to beat US

However, China is the world's largest producer of gold, having taken over South Africa for a couple of years now. And nobody knows exactly how much gold reserve US has, since it has leased out so much in the last decade in an effort to control gold price and it lumps leased gold with actual holding in its reports.

It's easier and more fun to count and watch MK's golds.

Jackie Chan was at the dinner as well. I wonder what other highly accomplished Chinese Americans ( e.g. Nobel Prize winners) were invited or if the WH is only interested in high public profile persons/tokens, likely in Sports and Entertainment.

eta I just noticed the error in the tread title: The Chinese President's name should spell Hu Jintao.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
actually i dont know anybody else than Kwan:clap:

Jackie Chan - the most famous action movie star first in HongKong and Japan, then China, Asia, then Hollywood.

Lang Lang (as a performer here) - the most famous young Chinese pianist.

I'm wondering where is Yo Yo Ma?

I wonder what other highly accomplished Chinese Americans ( e.g. Nobel Prize winners) were invited or if the WH is only interested in high public profile persons/tokens, likely in Sports and Entertainment.

Oh, I don't think White House would touch that sensitive nerve at this moment (I'm thinking about latest Nobel Peace Prize winner. On the second thought, you probably didn't mean it. It's true that there are some Chinese Americans who won Nobel Prize, such as Nobel Physics Prize winner Yang Zhen Ning. He is nearly 90 years old now. It caused a huge buzz a few years ago because he's married a 28 year old girl.:laugh:).

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I know I'll be flamed for this but I'm not sure the dress is appropriate for a state dinner at the WH. Yes, she looks fantastic but it looks a bit tight and I guess I thought it might be better to wear something a bit more conservative. Then again, I'm old fashioned.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I know I'll be flamed for this but I'm not sure the dress is appropriate for a state dinner at the WH. Yes, she looks fantastic but it looks a bit tight and I guess I thought it might be better to wear something a bit more conservative. Then again, I'm old fashioned.

I know what you are thinking - floor-length evening gown. I don't know. But I just can't picture Michelle wearing a heavy drapery like long dress and not showing her beautiful legs.:)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Screw the gowns. Michelle is young and beautiful with a body other females attendees could only wish for. Yes, some of them wear bright red beautiful gowns including the other Michelle, but this is standout gorgeous, especially compared to the many black long sacks worn by the others.

BTW, here's Yo Yo Ma. And actor B. D. Wong., Add Jackie Chan, and we can see the clelibrities are representing American Chinese.

Ha. Michelle is in good company as far as dress code is concerned. Vogue editor Anna Wintour . Vera Wang OTOH is known for her gowns.

You go girl, Michelle. Rock that gold dress!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow, Michelle! She looks fabulous. Check out those abs.

Thanks much for sharing these pictures. Is she really dating? Who is she dating?

Wow, Michelle! She looks fabulous. Check out those abs.

Seriously. That's why she can pull off that tight dress; she has an athlete's body. :rock:

I just thought of something else. Michelle is writing her master's thesis on some aspect of Chinese-American diplomatic history. What will her footnotes and references look like?

-- President Hu Jintau, personal conversation

-- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, private interview ...

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I know what you are thinking - floor-length evening gown. I don't know. But I just can't picture Michelle wearing a heavy drapery like long dress and not showing her beautiful legs.:)

The thing is, I agree with you! mybe if it wasn't so form fitting or has a wider skirt while still showing her legs. Regardless, she does look fantastic and I'm sure the head that turned when she walked in were because she is a stunning young lady with a good head on her shoulders. I've never known Michelle to be anything but appropriately dressed/

aftertherain

Record Breaker

aftertherain

Record Breaker
From MSNBC:
http://bltwy.msnbc.msn.com/politics/jan-20-obamas-numbers-up-and-huckabees-run-for-prez-in-question-9379.gallery
Fashionistas turned out in droves Wednesday night for the White House state dinner honoring China, but it was a former figure skater whose dress stole the show According to the Washington Post's Amy Argetsinger, who attended the event, Michelle Kwan's glittering gold dress "turned out to be the talker of the night on the fashion front." Outshining Vogue editor-in-chief Anna Wintour and designer Vera Wang is no small feat. But we guess after you've won an Olympic medal, everything else is relatively easy.

From Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/gallery/2011/01/19/GA2011011906879.html#photo=22
Figure skater Michelle Kwan arrvies before President Obama hosts Chinese President Hu Jintao at a State Dinner at the White House.