Senior Men Short | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Senior Men Short

figuristka

Medalist
Shawn was great, Cannot wait to see him live tomorrow night. Thought his 3 axel with just a slight hand down was very good for him and rest was amazing. Hope his mad hatter program gets a standing o.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
maybe he should be a closer to chan on the performance and interpretation marks.

Yeah, Shawn doesn't get the PCS he deserves at home or on the world scene, IMHO (although tonight was a considerable improvement over previous years). I suspect that not being able to land a 3A cleanly in competition makes it hard for the judges to take him seriously. :(

Really hope Shawn does well tomorrow and goes to worlds.

Me too! It's kind of crazy to think that the last (and so far only time) he was part of the Worlds team was 5 years ago! :eek:hwell:

Chan has that huge lead but Shawn's gotta be feeling pretty good that HE has a huge lead over the rest of them.

I don't think that has happened before in his career, so he must be ecstatic! Before this competition, I would've been glad if Shawn had won the bronze, but silver would be a lot sweeter! :party:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Shawn deserved his marks and placement but he's not the only one with disbelief. From this cbc.ca report, Chan takes commanding lead at Canadians:

Kevin Reynolds of Coquitlam, B.C., is second following a solid showing, receiving a score of 77.64, while Joey Russell of Labrador City, N.L., is third with 69.41.

And earlier today I heard Scott Russel announcing there would be 3 new champions crowned at the event due to absences of defending champions. Some beliefs are so entrenched that people are not even aware of them. Kind of funny in view of SC's and cbc's effort to generate buzz with a rivalry for Men's title.

I have been complaining about Shawn not getting the PCS he deserved but I'm very happy for him tonight. He has great performance and presentation, but Chan's skating skills, transitions, and choreography in terms of difficulty and intricacy, are in a different league.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Considering Lysacek was given an 83+ for his flawed SP at last year's US Nationals without a quad and with a bad step-out of his 3Axel and considering that his skating skills are nowhere near the level of Chan's, I actually don't see it as an overscore. Patrick is a much better skater than Evan (though Lysacek is a better competitor) and Chan is without parallel, Canada's top man. Now if he had gotten that kind of score and the lead with that performance at the World Championships skating against strong performances by Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka, Abbott, and Verner, I would be upset. These scores are expected of Chan here at Canadian Nationals, especially since he came in as the GP Final Champion.

There is 1 less element in the short programs though. Still I agree. Considering obvious National scoring inflation Chan's score here was just fine.

herios

Medalist
Shawn deserved his marks and placement but he's not the only one with disbelief. From this cbc.ca report, Chan takes commanding lead at Canadians:

And earlier today I heard Scott Russel announcing there would be 3 new champions crowned at the event due to absences of defending champions. Some beliefs are so entrenched that people are not even aware of them. Kind of funny in view of SC's and cbc's effort to generate buzz with a rivalry for Men's title.

I have been complaining about Shawn not getting the PCS he deserved but I'm very happy for him tonight. He has great performance and presentation, but Chan's skating skills, transitions, and choreography in terms of difficulty and intricacy, are in a different league.

Skatefiguring, they changed the name in the article on cbc, replacing Kevin Reynolds with Shawn Sawyer.

leela03

Spectator
Great night!
Super impressed and proud of Sawyer, the guy just has a great attitude.
I'm amazed at the quality of skating from those that are up and coming, Elladj was incredible, Liam is going to be one to watch as well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Skatefiguring, they changed the name in the article on cbc, replacing Kevin Reynolds with Shawn Sawyer.

As they should.

Patrick's video is already up. I don't see the ugly 2A. He unwraped his leg because the rotations were done.

Will look for Shawn's now.

Here it is.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
yeah, and he said "77??" heh. He was thrilled even though some fans weren't. I dunno, maybe he should be a closer to chan on the performance and interpretation marks. But whatever.

Sawyer has never gotten and never will get the PCS he really deserves both in Canada and internationally. Hoping for otherwise is a fantasy at this point. The Canadian judges in giving out their scores recognize that Sawyer is someone international judges see as only worth mid 6s on a good day in PCS (ridiculous I know) so of course they are wise to judge Chan vs him with that in mind.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Missed the mens skate, but I see Chan got -3 from one judge and +3 from another on a 2A. Will definitely have to watch the recording now.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I have to agree with the judges that Chan should have slightly higher PCs than Sawyer, even though Shawn is my favourite. I think one main difference is that Chan skates a little faster, even though both have very good footwork.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Missed the mens skate, but I see Chan got -3 from one judge and +3 from another on a 2A. Will definitely have to watch the recording now.

No way there should be a -3. It's almost like the judge penalized him for downgrading the jump whereas the tech panel already did that with lowered base value.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Too bad for Kevin, hopefully this will be another learning experience, as he looks to be off the World Team (just like he missed the Olympic Team). I've been watching him for a year now and it just seems he's not able to rise to the occasion, rather he crumbles, but at least he made history with his two quads in the SP this year. :thumbsup: Better luck next time, Kev.

Overall it doesn't look like a well-skated event, Chan's the only contender that Canada has for a medal in mens imho.

I'm hoping for more from the American men ~ Jeremy seems to peak at Nationals at least, Adam is a phenom (& I still pick him to be an Olympic Medalist one day, if not Gold once he gets the quad), Brandon Mroz make quads seem like child's play, Ryan Bradley is hit or miss, and Armin is on an upswing momentum!

Here's wishing the Canadian men better luck in the FS ~ land those quads & triple axels! :cool:

herios

Medalist
Did main CBC just skipped 90% of the men SP? I turned it on and they started with Chan then moved to pairs?

leela03

Spectator
They didnt show 99.9% of it! Just Chan's skate and the pairs.
As for tomorrow, it is not on in BC until 8:00 pm.

herios

Medalist
They didnt show 99.9% of it! Just Chan's skate and the pairs.
As for tomorrow, it is not on in BC until 8:00 pm.

Thank you. I thought so.That is a shame. Some of us we have Bold, but not everybody has it. how do they want t make FS more popular? Can they just spare us at least once a year of the damn hockey?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
If Kevin skates fairly well in the long I dont see why he wouldnt be expected to overhaul Joey Russel who has nowhere near the technical ammunition Reynolds has. 8 and a half spots isnt that much considering the difference in scoring potential between them. I think the 3rd spot is still Reynold's to win or lose almost.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Argh, I'm so pisssed that the CBC practically skipped the Men's SP! :mad: The men's event is generally the favourite figure skating discipine in Canada, so I was very disappointed that we only got Patrick's performance (heck, we didn't even have his K&C!)

Not that I expect that this will make a difference, but I'm planning to write a complaint to the CBC. http://www.cbc.ca/contact/

Last edited:

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Can they just spare us at least once a year of the damn hockey?

Seriously. The network wouldn't give the figure skating coverage more time even though the hockey program afterwards was a replay. :rolleye:

Last edited:

lise

On the Ice
cbc was also late because 2 freaking hockey games went into shootouts and then of course they had commentary so they ran the skating late. Considering how many channels there are for hockey on digital, I have no clue why CBC didn't put the hockey on Bold instead.

I miss the days of CTV/TSN with Nationals and internationals. I'm lucky I have Bold but still I remember with CTV we had way better coverage of the event.