The Novice Events (as seen on computer) | Golden Skate

The Novice Events (as seen on computer)

Dance - I would say the top 6 results all have potential, and the brother/sister team have the most.

Has anyone noticed that the American Ladies are growing faster than the American Men? There will be clumsy lifting.

Tammi

On the Ice
Variances in growth at that age are pretty common. Unfortunately, you can't always predict how tall kids will end up being, so it can lead to lots of break ups at the juvenile, intermediate and novice levels.

Parsons/Parsons are strong technically, but they are just lacking some type of spark. I love seeing the battle for 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Maybe not as technically proficient yet, but those teams all have something going for them on the ice.

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree that the Parsons are excellent technical skaters, but they left me cold. I also think she might be growing a bit faster than he is. I loved the third place team, Hawayek/Bramante - she's a diva and they had tons of spark!

So far, of the ladies, I've been really impressed with Mariah Bell. I'd seen Hannah Miller before and loved her, but unfortunately she fell on her 3S. I hope she can come back in the free.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved Mariah Bell's skating. She was like a little ball of fire out there. The crowd loves her you can tell.

Actually, I found most solos and pairs having more talent than I had thought before the competition.

I did not see any star bursting out of the Ladies and certainly none were as good as Kimmie when she was in Novice.

Several of the Men looked very good, but they don't star burst till they get older.

The Pairs all had speed and some good tricks but weak on the lifts. I don't care for 6ft Men partnering a 4ft Lady so I am not impressed with the lifts of certain couples.

Scores are fairly close, so results will change in the LP from the SP.

oleada

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen was fabulous. Amazing transitions and control. And he's still so young!

The pairs were nothing special.

Nathan Chen was fabulous. Amazing transitions and control. And he's still so young!

The pairs were nothing special.
I found Chen a bit to cutsey for my taste, but he did do what he had to do.

The Pairs weren't Senior calibre, that's true, but most of them did have speed in their routines and that is something for NOVICE.

kate

On the Ice
I found Chen a bit to cutsey for my taste, but he did do what he had to do.

He's 11. I'd much rather see an 11 year old skate an age-appropriate program than try to interpret some type of music that he can't relate to at all.

Novice Ladies LP

Are there any US Novice ladies that can jump higher than 2 inches off the ice doing an edge or toeoff jump? The results of the competition were ok, but I think the results could have been different too. I really didn't see a stand-out skater.

Ice Dance I'm still ok with the results

burntBREAD

Medalist
He's 11. I'd much rather see an 11 year old skate an age-appropriate program than try to interpret some type of music that he can't relate to at all.

It's beyond the programs with Chen, it's his technique and incredible skating ability that really stands out with me. :thumbsup:

kate

On the Ice
It's beyond the programs with Chen, it's his technique and incredible skating ability that really stands out with me. :thumbsup:

I should've clarified that I don't find him cutesy at all -- I really like the program. The transitions and choreography in his skating seem like they're there for the benefit of the program instead of the benefit of his PCS scores, and he connects everything very well and skates with a fluidity that a lot of the senior men still don't have. He has great basics.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Chen won the novice title again. This time around, it was by just a bit less than 36 points.

Wow.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Watched the FS for the novice men on Icenetwork. Nathan Chen was incredible, but that not surprising. Kid is mega-talented.

Now it's novice pairs. Should be interesting.

Oh lord, Phantom of the Opera.

oleada

Record Breaker
Nathan Chen is incredible. I don't think his programs at cutesy at all - they're age appropriate for an 11 year old. The level of content and blade control for an 11 year old is outstanding.

The Pairs weren't Senior calibre, that's true, but most of them did have speed in their routines and that is something for NOVICE.

We must have been watching different pairs. The pairs that have skated teh free so far have been so SLOW!

katymay

Medalist
The future for Nathan Chen

I do not know what the future holds for Nathan Chen, but even last year, when he was 10-I have never in my life seen a 10 year old with that sort of talent and skating ability. He must inspire hideous jealousy. He exits on 'nother figure skating planet. A whole 'nother planet and a whole 'nother league. The only one I can think of is Midori Ito-at least her jumping ability at ten. He is just unbelievable.

As he ages? Who knows. But he has to be the greatest 11 year old skater that has ever stepped on the ice.

The rest of the skating so far? Meh.

After seeing Chen's LP, I've changed my mind about him. He did not use the little boy look, but performed as a young man. And he was quite competitive. Hope he continues to grow.

I don't compare skaters in Novice events with skaters in Juniors or Seniors, and certainly not with another Federation which I never see.

Some posters disliked Chock and Zuerlain when they first got into Seniors, but they are a contending team now. I think whatever the Parsons have to do, they will do it by Seniors so I'm on their bandwagon.

Ladies and Pairs, for me, are just not worth mentioning.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Well I can't believe I actually sat through a whole hour or so watching Novice Mens SPs because of all the talk about Nathan Chen. :eek:

Anyhow, here are some of my impressions:

I looooooooved Marcus Mimidis's SP to the Beatles Live & Let Die! :cool: He had the whole look going on as well, tall long & lean with nice white shirt + black pants. Very calm, cool, and collected. (;^)

Jordan Moeller is America's version of Takahiko Kozuka, from the music to the moves, he's just taller is all. :D

Alexander Bjelde has big airy jumps, but what I looooved most of all was the music from "Quantum of Solace". You seriously have to 007 to skate to this, and he was, reminded me of Jack White a bit, taking names & kicking booty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suXkdsftsVU :cool:

Can't believe Lukas Kaugars is 15 yrs. old!!!! :eek: He's built like Rockne Brubaker, lumber jack, with muscles galore! He did GREAT here, especially that 3/2 combo. with John Curry flair overhead, but what I would really like to see him in is PAIRS skating. My gosh, with that bod & that strength he could lift those 60/70/80 pound girls overhead like it was nothing. Hope to see him switch soon. *hint, here's your guy, Amanda Dobbs* (;^)

Alas, there was Nathan Chen, 11 yrs. old & built like he's 5 yrs. old. And that's the honest to God truth. He did equally GREAT, but seriously he's not only 4/5 years younger than the young men here, but also he's about 3'8" tall & weighs about 40 pounds, no wonder he can do all those pretzel circus tricks. The men versus the child were approximately 2 feet taller than him, and weighed about 2times more as well. I did like his Wild West type number, and he did get a SO, but come on of course who can't resist the baby showing off. I will be more impressed when he grows up a bit; would love to see him at age 15/16, then we'll talk, but for now let the kid have his moment!!!! :thumbsup:

^^^
If it were not for Chen, I would have tied all the Men as equal. They were all that good. IMO, Marcus Mimidis was very much under scored.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Alas, there was Nathan Chen, 11 yrs. old & built like he's 5 yrs. old. And that's the honest to God truth. He did equally GREAT, but seriously he's not only 4/5 years younger than the young men here, but also he's about 3'8" tall & weighs about 40 pounds, no wonder he can do all those pretzel circus tricks. The men versus the child were approximately 2 feet taller than him, and weighed about 2times more as well. I did like his Wild West type number, and he did get a SO, but come on of course who can't resist the baby showing off. I will be more impressed when he grows up a bit; would love to see him at age 15/16, then we'll talk, but for now let the kid have his moment!!!! :thumbsup:

Well, take a look at Canada's Junior podium picture!

I have been and will be following Chen's and Nguyen's developments and expect rivalry when they compete internationally and possibly a showdown at 2018 Olympics. But who knows how they each will progress and what other talent may burst out of nowhere. Right now these two little dynamos are the most exciting talents to watch.

I disagree with the implication that it's easier for them because of their little stature because this simply does not bear out generally. They are the extreme exceptions among skaters of their size and age. I haven't watched Chen's latest yet but from his recent skates, I saw skills and sophistication beyonds his years, the only thing lacking being speed due to his size and lack of strength, much like Baby Michelle at the same age. Boys have the unfair advantage of simply getting bigger and stronger as they grow instead of being detailed by the Puberty Monster. We should see them improve technically with time. It's other elements and development, mental and environmental, that need to be watched over.

Last edited:

jnoble82

Rinkside
I really liked the Men! Jordan reminded me of Jeremy Abbott in a lot of ways (some others say Johnny Weir but as I'm not a Weir fan I'll just Jeremy :) ) I liked Lukas a lot as well as Little Nathan! He was amazing! I had a soft spot for poor Cale who just broke down in his free but I liked him anyways.

Ice Dance was great, in my opinion.

I didn't watch much of the ladies if I'm honest so I won't say much about them except Hannah Miller's SP costume made her look nine.

Pairs...oh pairs. Another I didn't pay much attention to except for raising my eyebrow at the 17 year old skating with the 11 year old. I think it only drew my eyes because she ended at his hip. their height difference made it slight uncomfortable to watch but maybe once she grows it won't look so weird.