skaters, cigarettes and stamina | Page 2 | Golden Skate

skaters, cigarettes and stamina

mousepotato

On the Ice
Ykko Kawaguchi mentioned having to change rooms at a competition because he roomate smoked. She ended up staying with Domnina, so she apparently doesn't smoke. The roomate was another ice dancer.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I don't know if this was caused by skating, but wasn't Rena Inoue a lung cancer survivor?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What a depressing thread!:eek:

I have nothing against the thread starter. But so many skaters smoke, it's unbelievable.

Last edited:

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Just as it is in other sports and professions, skating(despite its' wholesome public image) has its' share of substance abusers. Tai Babilonia & Oksana Baiul were each, at various points, treated for alcoholism. And, undoubtedly in professional skating(where the participants don't face the drug testing required of Olympic competitors), there must be a fair amount of drug abusers. Perhaps, (at least in our minds), there should be two separate worlds of ice skating: Elite skating competitions and performances, often by some far from ideal human beings, and skating at your local rink by normal people without sequins or flaky costuming. While I'm impressed by the amazing skating "tricks" done by T.V. skaters, the people at my local rink are nothing like the T.V. skaters in appearance, personality or conduct. Regardless of what goes on "behind the curtain" in big time skating, it doesn't dim my affection for typical local rink skating.

Last edited:

Phil Cohen

Rinkside
Golly, Sidwich, it makes me sad to hear how many dancers smoke, and smoke a lot.
But if you really want to hear the effects of smoking on a voice, listen to the wispy, childlike voice of Marianne Faithfull in her first hit, "As Tears Go By," and then listen to stuff she did in her forties. Totally, totally gone.

(On the other hand, look at Paul McCartney, whose voice has inevitably aged a bit but is still largely the smooth tenor of forty years past. Wonder if he quit when George died.)
Yes, he did, as did Ringo. As Marianne Faithful, smoking was the least of her vices, She was a junkie for decades.

Yes, he did, as did Ringo. As Marianne Faithful, smoking was the least of her vices, She was a junkie for decades.

Right you are, Phil. I remember reading about Faithfull's experiences. It seems that people who use a lot of drugs are generally also smokers, and unfortunately many of them up their smoking as part of the quitting and rehab process, because smoking is a socially acceptable substitute addiction. The combination of vices Faithfull practiced certainly did her voice in, though I'm sure her interpretive powers are compelling.

And I'm so relieved that the two surviving Beatles are now smoke-free. Thanks for the update! We need to hold on to those two for a while to come.

Last edited:

sillylionlove

Medalist
I wish they would all stop smoking!!! My mother was a life long smoker and is currently battling lung cancer. Smoking is so not worth the risk!!!

Johar

Medalist
How can anyone with an average income even afford to smoke? People who smoke smell horrible, including my parents when they were alive. We had to spend $$$$ to fix smoking damage in the house. You could even scrape nicotine off the ceiling.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I wish they would all stop smoking!!! My mother was a life long smoker and is currently battling lung cancer. Smoking is so not worth the risk!!!

I'm sorry to hear that! :( My great aunt (who introduced me to skating) died of emphasima (can't spell) in 1994. Refused to quit smoking even after they put her on oxygen. So heartbreaking to watch even then (I was 9).

gio

Medalist
the incident at 2003 Worlds where some skaters illegaly smoked in the locker rooms. Skaters with cigarettes in their mouths were seen also in the smoking room at the airport by a goldenskate user.

I'm sorry I made a mistake! The incident didn't happen at 2003 Worlds, but at 2006 Skate America. Before the men short program some skaters smoked in the locker room. Some minutes before taking the ice! :rolleye:

I'm sorry to hear that! :( My great aunt (who introduced me to skating) died of emphasima (can't spell) in 1994. Refused to quit smoking even after they put her on oxygen. So heartbreaking to watch even then (I was 9).

Tonichelle and Sillylionlove (love your screen name!), I'm sorry to hear about your loved ones' battles with these illnesses. Cigarettes are supposed to be more addictive than almost any other substance. What you said about your great-aunt's smoking despite emphysema reminds me of one time when I visited a relative in a hospital, and the roommate, an elderly woman, was obviously in for a lung ailment--and she still smoked. (Not in the room, of course.) This is why I want to clobber any young person who smokes. I guess people have to figure out their own mistakes, but grrrr!

It can rot your teeth and gums, too.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Tonichelle and Sillylionlove (love your screen name!), I'm sorry to hear about your loved ones' battles with these illnesses. Cigarettes are supposed to be more addictive than almost any other substance. What you said about your great-aunt's smoking despite emphysema reminds me of one time when I visited a relative in a hospital, and the roommate, an elderly woman, was obviously in for a lung ailment--and she still smoked. (Not in the room, of course.) This is why I want to clobber any young person who smokes. I guess people have to figure out their own mistakes, but grrrr!

It can rot your teeth and gums, too.

One of the moms at my rink can be seen smoking a few feet away from the rink. And get this...after smoking, she takes a puff on her inhaler because she has severe asthma!

heyang

Record Breaker
How can anyone with an average income even afford to smoke? People who smoke smell horrible, including my parents when they were alive. We had to spend $$$$ to fix smoking damage in the house. You could even scrape nicotine off the ceiling.

One of my co-workers is a chain smoker. 3 packs a day. He's a picky eater - nothing green and really only eats 1 meal a day, which is mostly McDonald's. He's the oddest person in our group.

Anyway, last year, he drove to Delaware from NJ in a snowstorm to buy cigarettes because they are much less expensive there. I won't ride in his car because he smokes in it - most other smokers whom I know won't smoke in their cars or homes - only outside due to the stink.

Our work campus went non-smoking. You're not even allowed to smoke in your own vehicle if it's on company property. I don't think anyone's policing the parking lot, but you definitely dont' see anyone hanging out by the garage exit (which was the only place they were allowed to smoke for the last 3 years.)

The company announced that campus was going smoke free in November of 2009 and provided free smoking cessation support - appointments during company time with a doctor and free nicotine replacement items, etc. Just about everyone took advantage of it.

When I asked my co-worker if he had signed up, he said no because he knew he could only do it if he decided to do so. He was considering laser surgery as an aid. In my head, I was saying 'You're thinking about a lobotomy?' Once he did more research, he decided against it. Right now, he's smoking in his car during his lunch hour at McDonald's and right before and after work. I don't know if he's 'making up' for the lost smoking hours or if he's smoking fewer per day.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Sorry if I i will be rude, I know smoking but 3 packets a day, how did he have time for anything else??:eek: I calculated around 10 mins/cigarette x 60 cigs/day= 600 min =10 hours /day smoking:jaw:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think in North America, the campaign against cigarette smoking is the strongest which is applausable. I went to Paris a couple of years ago. In those a few days, I inhaled second-hand smoking much much more than I inhaled it in North America in over 10 years. In London, there was much less smoking, but still, cigarette butts are easy to be found on the sidewalks.

I believe if there is/are smoker/smokers in a family, the children in that family will pick up the habit much more easily because the kids have been exposed to that smoke smell from very young. Of course, it doesn't mean that all the children in a smoker family will pick up it. Johnny Weir's mom is a smoker. It doesn't surprise me at all that he is too, even though he doesn't smoke as much as his mom does.

Last edited:

blue dog

Record Breaker
I think in North America, the campaign against cigarette smoking is the strongest which is applausable. I went to Paris a couple of years ago. In those a few days, I inhaled second-hand smoking much much more than I inhaled it in North America in over 10 years. In London, there was much less smoking, but still, cigarette butts are easy to be found on the sidewalks.

I believe if there is/are smoker/smokers in a family, the children in that family will pick up the habit much more easily because the kids have been exposed to that smoke smell from very young. Of course, it doesn't mean that all the children in a smoker family will pick up it. Johnny Weir's mom is a smoker. It doesn't surprise me at all that he is too, even though he doesn't smoke as much as his mom does.

Of course, that's not as appalling as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4c_wI6kQyE

But back to the original topic--the anti-smoking campaigns didn't begin their heavy attacks until the mid-90's, early 2000's. It is understandable that Dorothy Hamill would have smoked. I remember seeing ads in one of my advertising comm classes from the 1950's, where even doctors suggested women smoke for weight loss.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I haven't read this thread, but to address the title of this thread, I say it's his/her own body, if they want to be a human garbage can, let them!