Senior Dance Free | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Senior Dance Free

lise

On the Ice
I also think that Vanessa and Paul are over rated. Not as much as some others, as they do have talent coming out of their fingernails, *but* they're not all that yet. I knew they'd win this and amazed the Judges kept it as close as they did as they are the Anointed Ones in Dance. I also believe that a great disservice was done to this team last season when not only was that fall on a required element not docked as much as it should have in the FS, but also got sent to Vancouver in spite of it.

You combine that w/all of the hype the Media has created around C/P and I'm worried about them. Yes, they're good, but they're still got a long way to go yet and...Sigh.

Kaitlyn and Andrew have the better programs, but they also perform the heck out of them. That's something Vanessa and Paul really don't have yet. W/P have a connection w/themselves and the audience and you get pulled in along w/them. This should have been their title.

Worlds should be rather interesting.

ITA entire post. Last year I was angry as heck that C & P were not docked much for the fall and were sent to Vancouver. I have feeling that W & P are the W & L of this generation.

Even watching the ceremony, the crowd is cleary behind W & P. Polite applause for C & P but it's the first time I've ever seen the crowd give complete support for the silver medallist.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
W/P is such a tall team! The guys of 1st and 2nd teams are about the same height though standing on different steps of the podium.

Now my observation is obvious when they all stand on the same step.

npa

Match Penalty
I completely disagree. I believe Weaver/Poje have the superior SD, but the FD of Crone/Poirier is superior in every way over that of Weaver/Poje IMO. Add to it that Crone/Poirier skate with more speed .

At this Nationals (i talk about only this competition) W-P had better speed and power, then C-P even at traning session. And in SD it was remarable.
But Skate Canada made C-P number 1 canadian team - and W-p will never beat them and i dont like this, because C-P not at V-M or D-W levels, when they skated in different leage. And from all canadian comments i see, they want pull C-P on podium this year and this could be easy done without V-M :)
Hate this...... All is too predictable

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I know that you think so. But lets be fair here - they won by just over a point over two phases here. Neither team was perfect. Weaver/Poje are more conventionally romantic and entertaining, so they're easy to like. And lets be honest, W/P's free dance is shallow and chintzy whereas Crone/Porier have the best free dance choreography of the season.

As for last year... I'll leave it alone - clearly we'll agree to disagree here.

npa

Match Penalty
I know that you think so. But lets be fair here - they won by just over a point over two phases here. Neither team was perfect. Weaver/Poje are more conventionally romantic and entertaining, so they're easy to like. And lets be honest, W/P's free dance is shallow and chintzy whereas Crone/Porier have the best free dance choreography of the season.

As for last year... I'll leave it alone - clearly we'll agree to disagree here.

But i think to be honest - W-P have best SD of the season and not only i was disagree with C-P lead after SD, because W-P must lead more, then a point.
As for FD. Dont know- i dont like this old-fashion FD from C-P, i was waiting much more from Dean choreo. But i agre - a lot off people think they have best FD of the season. But... This is ice dancing - W-P really dancing (at least in SD)? when C-P in every program doing gym exersise.
I only sad, because W-P is improving from year to year and only because SC dont like them, couldnt have better results at international level.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
While I think Crone and Poirier did slightly better today, and the marks were fair, I do think that they're a little overrated when it comes to the perception of how they will do on the world stage. I also think they should have been in 2nd after the SD. Like another poster said, that SD is not quite dancing.

mtz

Spectator
Hi new to the forum...gotta say overall the dance competition today was a bit underwhelming...C/P should have won...but I was not overly impressed...I mean you get a choreography from Mr. Dean, you have the support of SC....and at this point in the season, their FD program should be farther along...something is missing...I just don't see a progression from last year...

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I almost think C/P skated the FD better earlier in the year, like at Skate Canada.

You have to keep in mind though that this was the first event since coming into the senior division with the absence of Virtue/Moir that Crone/Poirier were expected to win and they were expected to win coming in as Skate Canada champions, Skate America silver medalists, and GP Final bronze medalists. That's a new feeling for them and with that comes a lot of pressure, not to mention having Weaver/Poje nipping right at their heels.

herios

Medalist
So in that case I should watch every single post of yours to make sure you go with the judges EVERY single time. After all if I dont dare to disagree with the judges oh so unqualified one you had better not either, agreed. :rolleye: Not to mention the amount of politics and other factors that go into judges decisions in the sport of figure skating unless you have been living under a rock (based on most of your past posts this is the case anyhow though).

I have been around this sport for 40 years and I am very familiar with all what the judges do and used to do especially. But I am basing my statements usually on several factors I take into consideration, mainly observing what others say, and especially who's opinion I trust, when i am not knowledgeable enough to determine myself.
Ice dancing is one of those, no matter how much i tried to learn in 4 decades, i still do net get it entirely nor I see well enough from my screen or viewer stands when watching LIVE, which skaters have the deeper edge, better chocktaw, etc. But I tried to go to competitions, to watch CD's life to understand what is the actual difference between team "A" and "B" etc. I watched then ballroom dance till my eyes got teary, so i could understand better rythms, steps, etc. So bottom line, I won't just accept a result, because the judges came up with it. For example, at the russian nationals I thought Fedor and Yana were totally overscored. Just an example.
But what I want to tell you is the following, people keep complaining about the lack of expression and relation to each other between Vanessa and Paul. This is an abstract program. Harder to comprehend. It took me quite some time until I figured out Dean's programs he created for the Duchenays. Because they were difficult technically, while I kept focusing on something else which was not as important.
This program of Vanessa and Paul falls into a similar category. People do not really understand it. It may not bring you in emotionally, but it is hard. That is why the judges keep rewarding it.
And by the way, I am hanging on another skating board, where a former ice dancer is a huge fan of Vanessa and Paul and thinks they will be one day the best in the world. Remains to be seen of course, as many things could happen. But the same person spotted Tessa and Scott at their first world championship and said they are as good as T/D, in certain aspects. So are you surprised if I trust that perosn's opinion more than yours?

Now I ranted enough I think

herios

Medalist
I only sad, because W-P is improving from year to year and only because SC dont like them, couldnt have better results at international level.

Wow, really ? SC don't like them? That is quite a statement. Can we just go back to Canadian nationals 2008, when W/P with a fall in the FD passed and took silver over McCurdy / Coreno who had no visible flaws? If they didn't like them would have been very easy to dump them there right away.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been around this sport for 40 years and I am very familiar with all what the judges do and used to do especially. But I am basing my statements usually on several factors I take into consideration, mainly observing what others say, and especially who's opinion I trust, when i am not knowledgeable enough to determine myself.
Ice dancing is one of those, no matter how much i tried to learn in 4 decades, i still do net get it entirely nor I see well enough from my screen or viewer stands when watching LIVE, which skaters have the deeper edge, better chocktaw, etc. But I tried to go to competitions, to watch CD's life to understand what is the actual difference between team "A" and "B" etc. I watched then ballroom dance till my eyes got teary, so i could understand better rythms, steps, etc. So bottom line, I won't just accept a result, because the judges came up with it. For example, at the russian nationals I thought Fedor and Yana were totally overscored. Just an example.
But what I want to tell you is the following, people keep complaining about the lack of expression and relation to each other between Vanessa and Paul. This is an abstract program. Harder to comprehend. It took me quite some time until I figured out Dean's programs he created for the Duchenays. Because they were difficult technically, while I kept focusing on something else which was not as important.
This program of Vanessa and Paul falls into a similar category. People do not really understand it. It may not bring you in emotionally, but it is hard. That is why the judges keep rewarding it.
And by the way, I am hanging on another skating board, where a former ice dancer is a huge fan of Vanessa and Paul and thinks they will be one day the best in the world. Remains to be seen of course, as many things could happen. But the same person spotted Tessa and Scott at their first world championship and said they are as good as T/D, in certain aspects. So are you surprised if I trust that perosn's opinion more than yours?

Now I ranted enough I think

Yes, "Eleanor Rigby" is about isolation and loneliness. There shouldn't be a romantic relationship between Vanessa and Paul in this program as that is not the theme of the story they are telling. Even their SD "Fallin'" is about the conflicting torture of falling out of love with someone; it's the complete opposite theme from Weaver and Poje's story of "At Last", a song about the discovery and beauty of love. Confusingly enough, people keep comparing how the two of these couples relate to one another when the fact is they are telling two very different stories on the ice.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But i think to be honest - W-P have best SD of the season and not only i was disagree with C-P lead after SD, because W-P must lead more, then a point.
As for FD. Dont know- i dont like this old-fashion FD from C-P, i was waiting much more from Dean choreo. But i agre - a lot off people think they have best FD of the season. But... This is ice dancing - W-P really dancing (at least in SD)? when C-P in every program doing gym exersise.

I agree that W/P should've been first after the SD. I think what C/P did was enough to overtake them. I don't think they have the SD of the season, but I also think the SD is still a stupid idea.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Wow, really ? SC don't like them? That is quite a statement. Can we just go back to Canadian nationals 2008, when W/P with a fall in the FD passed and took silver over McCurdy / Coreno who had no visible flaws? If they didn't like them would have been very easy to dump them there right away.

Yeah, I agree that to say Skate Canada doesn't like Weaver and Poje is a huge overstatement.

mtz

Spectator
I agree that W/P should've been first after the SD. I think what C/P did was enough to overtake them. I don't think they have the SD of the season, but I also think the SD is still a stupid idea.
I agree with this...I miss the CD and OD....

mtz

Spectator
One thing I took away from this years Nationals is how the top 5 teams will choose their FD programs next year...if some teams don't chose different themes whether romantic/modern/abstract/comedic etc, they may fall into some serious typecasting...so in addition to technical difficulty, originality and expression I think next year will set-up possible scenarios for 2014....

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I dunno. V/M skated to three romantic FDs in four seasons ("Valse Triste," "Cherbourg" and "Mahler"). If it works for them, the team can get away with it. But less romantic teams tend to get hammered more than others, so...

mtz

Spectator
Oh I agree that V/M did have 3/4 romantic FDs out of the last olympic cycle...but at the same time - the competition internationally had more variety and that V/M got away with it...honestly I am just hoping that teams do not try to emulate the Z/S formula...and I am a V/M fan....

fan1961

Rinkside
I have not posted in a while - just like to read what every one else thinks... but I cannot let this go on. C/P have won the national championships and I believe deservedly so... they have beaten W/P all season, and have now beaten them in a very important competition. They are a young but very classy duo - The pressure was on them - it was theirs "to lose" - W/P have not beaten C/P - they had nothing to lose... so kudos to C/P for holding up to the pressure and performing when it counts... also C/P kudos to their professionalism in dealing with the media.. they always talked about the strength of the Canadian ice dance team as a whole - not like W/P who only talked about themselves...

rain

Record Breaker
Yes, "Eleanor Rigby" is about isolation and loneliness. There shouldn't be a romantic relationship between Vanessa and Paul in this program as that is not the theme of the story they are telling. Even their SD "Fallin'" is about the conflicting torture of falling out of love with someone; it's the complete opposite theme from Weaver and Poje's story of "At Last", a song about the discovery and beauty of love. Confusingly enough, people keep comparing how the two of these couples relate to one another when the fact is they are telling two very different stories on the ice.

I stood for two dances — Paul & Islam and Crone & Poirier. Both of these teams managed to do complex choreography while gliding effortlessly across the ice at great speed. They managed to make all the difficulty look uncluttered. Weaver & Poje were good and very well-trained. But at times I found it looked cluttered. And the short dance, to At Last, inevitably for me, brings the comparison to Dubreuil & Lauzon's FD to the same song — Weaver & Poje suffer by the comparison, as Dubreuil and Lauzon just brought such a sophistication and air of experience to the piece.

I can say, though, that many in the audience seemed to prefer Weaver & Poje's FD — it is a much more obvious, traditionally accessible piece.