Mens LP | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Mens LP

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I had some minor reception problems, which is why there was no sound for several seconds in the middle of the program. As I mentioned in the post with Shawn's LP, you can shrink the size of your media player so that the vid looks less "shaky".

2011 Patrick Chan CFSC LP (CBC television) 157.07 MB: http://www.mediafire.com/?zi09wvwg37uia09

oakl0008

Rinkside
Hey all. I will have to find Siberia82's video. Sounds like it's great quality! I can't get Sawyer's performance out of my head!

Here's an article from Rosie Dimanno that all but rips apart Shawn Sawyer and his inclusion on the 2011 world team. If you read near the end of the article, she even goes as far as to call his program loud and CRUDE, even criticizing him wearing that mad hatter hat at the end. Heaven forbid he entertains an audience!

As much as the future should be promoted (Reynolds and those quads are something we haven`t seen the last of yet), Sawyer earned his spot on the team. SO did Joey Russell.There`s a few years left for the future to build. For diminishing their accomplishments (and Russel`s and Sawyer`s accomplishments this Nationals were BIG), let`s say I`ve lost some respect for Dimanno (not that I ever had any tangible respect for her after the articles I have read from her over the years).

http://www.thestar.com/sports/artic...d-chan-canada-s-skating-ranks-worryingly-thin

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Shawn Sawyer should compete for another year just to piss off that soggy *****.

His LP would go over very well with the French crowd at 2012 Worlds. He can tailor a new SP for next season with French sensibilities in mind as well. He'd gain a bunch of fans. We need more skaters like him.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I can see her point on Sawyer. Like congrats on being on a teenage level and finally kind of being able to do a 3A! LOL!

oakl0008

Rinkside
I can see her point on Sawyer. Like congrats on being on a teenage level and finally kind of being able to do a 3A! LOL!

So what are you suggesting? Sending Reynolds to worlds in place of him? I can see the point but she doesn't even have the guts to say that point blank other than to make snarky comments about Sawyer and his program. Quite a few younger Canadian men skaters have issues with the 3A. Dimanno ripped apart his actual program calling it "crude" and even taking a shot at him wearing the Mad Hatter hat at the end of it. Was that really necessary? Not by a professional writer I would think. I don't even remember her mentioning the 3A after the rest of her garbage.

Ha! Bladesofpassion. Nice comment.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I got mixed up. She wrote about Russell having 2 double axels (and the protocol indicates his 3A was weak- all -2's). I was thinking of my reaction to Sawyer and his 3A problems a lot of the time. I would flat out send Reynolds to worlds and Russell to 4CC but of course Russell earned his spot to worlds. I'd just trust in Reynolds more than Russell or Sawyer. Chan has his own 3A problems but at least he is a solid quad bet now. With Russell or Sawyer iffy on quads and 3a. I know you can say the exact same thing about Reynolds too! So I see where she is coming from. Just flat out criticizing Sawyers program the way she doesn't seem the most important thing she can be writing about.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
DiManno's homophobia is plainly obvious. Little surprise from her. She is so butch she is a women who is even sexist against fellow women. Her article thrashing the Hockey Hall of Fame for inducting a couple of great female hockey players tells it all.

oakl0008

Rinkside
After reading some of Dimanno`s articles since 2006, I am going to have to agree with you pantongfan. Where her vitrol comes from I don`t know, but if she can discriminate against her own like what you mentioned, this doesn`t suprise me either. Too bad she still gets paid for writing that garbage.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
who is Rosie Dimanno?
Not including Sawyer is the most stupid thing I read, his Lp is one of the best in the season, I wanna see it at Worlds!!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Ouch!!! I've seen a Canadian version of Hursh.:biggrin: Truth hurts sometimes.

I don't know who she is and has never read her column before. By judging this article alone, apart from this quote,"is pretty much a waste in a year when Canada has qualified three spots for men at worlds." when talked about Sawyer going to the worlds which didn't sound right, this article largely was saying the truth, even though some people who are in the height of the joy don't want to know.;)

Last edited:

gottadance

On the Ice
who is Rosie Dimanno?
Not including Sawyer is the most stupid thing I read, his Lp is one of the best in the season, I wanna see it at Worlds!!

I dont get the intent of the article - if she is bashing Skate Canada for their selection thats fine ( I think its wrong as well -the 3rd place should be decided by who does better at 4C's IMHO ) BUT why bash Sawyers program - to call it crude is just plain ignorant and she should know better if she is writing in a major national newspaper . If she had done any research , she would know that in the past ( although not this year ) Sawyer did have some reasonable results internationally and that was when his jumps were still not great . I agree with her point that Skate Canada have wimped out by just sticking to the results from Nationals and that it is potentially a serious mistake , but this immportant point is lost because of the diatribe about Sean.

I also dont agree with her point about the depth of Canadian Men's figure skating - its always tough in a Post Olympic year but dont forget that another potentially outstanding skater, Jeremy Ten is out and Andrei R. just plain had a bad Nationals. Whereas Skate Canada can indeed be called out for their selection process , I think they have done a good job in bringing along youg skaters

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I will have to find Siberia82's video. Sounds like it's great quality!

No, not really :p, but it's better than nothing for people who are curious about Kurt & Tracy's commentary.

Someone should tell Dimanno that her writing style is loud and crude. :rolleye: She seems to be forgetting that Canada is relatively small population-wise, so we're not going to have 3 male skaters at one time who could potentially medal at Worlds. I guess podium finishes are all she cares about, but true figure skating fans know how to appreciate the "little guys" like Shawn Sawyer. (In his case, that term can be used both figuratively and literally. ;))

After reading some of Dimanno`s articles since 2006

Um, why? :confused: You should stop encouraging her! No need to waste your time on the filth she spews. :frown:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I dont get the intent of the article - if she is bashing Skate Canada for their selection thats fine ( I think its wrong as well -the 3rd place should be decided by who does better at 4C's IMHO ) BUT why bash Sawyers program - to call it crude is just plain ignorant and she should know better if she is writing in a major national newspaper . If she had done any research , she would know that in the past ( although not this year ) Sawyer did have some reasonable results internationally and that was when his jumps were still not great . I agree with her point that Skate Canada have wimped out by just sticking to the results from Nationals and that it is potentially a serious mistake , but this immportant point is lost because of the diatribe about Sean.

I also dont agree with her point about the depth of Canadian Men's figure skating - its always tough in a Post Olympic year but dont forget that another potentially outstanding skater, Jeremy Ten is out and Andrei R. just plain had a bad Nationals. Whereas Skate Canada can indeed be called out for their selection process , I think they have done a good job in bringing along youg skaters

I can't believe that silly woman called Shawn's wonderfully intricate and exquisite program "crude." Just for that I hope he rocks at worlds.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
All these points are just your opinions, contrary to those of qualified judges, national and international, as well as many many skating fans like myself. It ain't true just bacause you say so.
You guys are weird. In one sentence you say "judges at nationals normally give too high marks", in another sentence you say "they are professionals." LOL. Judges in FS are famous for being wrong and biased. That's an old topic, which means if a judge gives this or that mark, it doesn't mean he is right, no matter how professional he is, if he is... What you called "your opinions" is the stuff that doesn't count as personal one. If I said "Chan is short, not handsome at all, if he is a man of your dream, your dream sucks, etc.," that would be personal stuff. But I am talking about his skating and scores.
This is not about collecting points. Under any scoring system,
Again contrudictions one after another: "it's not about collectiong points" and right after that "under any scoring system". What does it mean anyway if the current system IS about collection points, the only thing that guys like Chan and Lys succeeded to do? Oh yeah, they are not guilty, the system is guilty! In fact there are still things like interpretation and presentation that ARE supposed to be about music and telling the story on the ice. Chan was skating fast like an ant from one site to another, collecting points, and making elements that don't correspond any beat of music. His so-called emotions are not Phantom of the Opera, there is no flow, no spark, it's dull and boring. Change the music into Turandot, give him another costume and he will skate the same stuff exactly, without changing anything at all. Right, the system is guilty. They don't even use the word "artistism" nowdays! So, let's do this: cancel the music, everyone is in a training suit, have a technical mark and the second mark is only about transitions and skating skills. That is all. Who needs "interpretation" considering how funnily it is judged? The horrible future of FS where guys like Pat and Lys are bringing us to. Yes, I am the one who doesn't want to go there. I do miss programs where EVERY move of arms, legs, face expressions, every elements starts and finishes with the music, etc. Nobody among top leaders in men's FS can do it now, except Dai. He is the only one who can tell the story on the ice. Btw, Chan's jumps were not that perfect as they were scored, with all that insecured landings and funny body positions.
Since you're asking rhetorical questions to be sarcastic, the answer is that you don't to have watch a skater you dispise
Huh? And how esle am I supposed to watch the US and Canadian nationals? Euro stuff I will watch on the channel where commentators are more respectful to audience and skaters. Oh, wait! I got it. They give a chance to people to enjoy the performance, its meaning and artisty, while the NA TV folks just tell you about points!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You are too exagerating, let's talk. To compare Patrick Chan with Lysacek?! To say Patrick doesn't have musicality at all?! Where is your base? The arguement like this doesn't have a base. Patrick happened to be a superior technician with a considerably good artistic abilities, though his artistry is yet to be improved more.

One judge happened to feel Patrick was perfect in IN, big deal,:rolleye: where you probably would have given him 0 if you were the judge. That is why there were 8 judges. The final result actually didn't count 8.75 which was the lowest, and 10.0 which was the highest.

If you are so into artistic aspect of figure skating and only Dai would satisfy you, by all means, cheer for him louder. But skaters who have Patrick Chan's repertoire are going to win no matter you like it or not.:)

jettasian

Match Penalty
I saw Chan has PLENTY of arm movements. And I don't consider making a funny face, or a "constipation" face look, like most skaters do, as a "facial expression" at all.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:rolleye:I don't know why some papers feel the need to have writers whose job it is to find reasons to just shred whoever it is they're writing about..Oh, I know they think stirring up controversy sells papers, but really ,it ought to have some credible basis. To call Shawn's program crude is just laughable.

There is some truth in Di Manno's article (like the sometimes poor choices Skate Canada has made ),but she goes so over the top in much of it , that the few kernels of wheat it contains will be discarded with the bushel of chaff by most rational readers.

Last edited:

jlmart

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Thank you, thank you siberia82 for the video of Patrick - it is wonderful. I have been watching skating since childhood (I remember watching Donald Jackson land the first triple lutz) and skating has come a long way in that time. The one thing that I miss is sitting comfortably watching programmes and judging the skaters on their content and expressiveness. I don't remember sitting on the edge of my seat hoping no one would fall. Now with the increased difficulty in content I am sometimes so nervous that I wait for the replay after I already know the worst lol! I think this is one of the first times I have watched Patrick live that I have been relaxed - especially after the 3a. He just seemed so comfortable and effortless out there that it didn't seem possible he would land anywhere except his feet!

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)I had to break off to walk my dogs, but I wanted to add that DiManno's pretty blind if she sees no promise beyond Patrick. Sure , no one else is going to be Patrick , but we have a number of skaters coming up with their own unique set of skills and talents who definitely will be worthy representatives.

If Shawn delivers that well at world's he should have a creditable finish.

Kevin has made great strides..he just needs to keep working as he has been, and maybe involve a sports psychologist as well. ( I just feel there may be a weakness in JM's coaching that leaves her skaters vulnerable on the mental / emotional front..)

There's a lot of excellence in Joey's skating..I don't know how far he can progress with his jumps..but I certainly wouldn't write him off after he's just made enough progress to win a national medal.

Elladj seems to be on his way back ( my goodness, his jumps can be beautiful)..he's musical and I don't think we've had a skater who can command the ice while making such a warm connection with the audience since Kurt.

Liam made a great transition. He's musical in a different way than Elladj...his jumps were fine and I love his feet..

Jeremy is injured but he had great programs this year,and once healed and jumping , is a very expressive skater..

Ian Martinez was skating injured , so this competition was not really representative of his abilities.

Ronald Lam showed a lot of potential...just needs to keep going and maybe an upgrade to his programs and costumes.

Makes you wonder what the woman was smoking...

Edit : Oops! I forgot Rogozine..but I just forgot him while typing.. I didn't disregard him..;)..He has a lot of promise..just needs to project more character. A good choreographer can start that process, no question.

Last edited: