Mens LP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Mens LP

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Tonichelle, Shawn was second with the greatest skate of his career. emma's comment was a response to mine: Chan actually had a bad practice (according to commentator Brenda Irving), unable to land the quads. He then landed two quads, one 3A and gave the greatest skate of his career.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It seems like Chan was great. Want to see it. Skate Canada is always really nice to him though. Like last year when he was mediocre he still got amazing scores.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems like Chan was great. Want to see it. Skate Canada is always really nice to him though. Like last year when he was mediocre he still got amazing scores.

Chan is never midiocre when he gets amazing scores. He had a bad skate at Skate Canada in 2009 as the first competition after his injury. He came in 6th, no amazing scores. If you are talking about 2010 SC, he was not mediocre. He fell 3 times in the SP, after full 4T and 3A rotations, so he was 4th. But he had an amazing LP, even with a fall, to earn his high score and the competition.

SkateSkates

Medalist
It's not specifically the 10, but the fact that he scores higher in IN than SS. To me, this makes no sense, as his skating skills are much higher than his interpretation skills. This is the one aspect of his skating that I think needs to be developed further to match his skating skills and technical elements. I realize that 10s have been given before, but my problem is the category - I would not have been as upset if that 10 had been under skating skills because I do think he has the best skating skills.

emma

Record Breaker

great and just about as clean as it gets. seriously, this was one amazing skate. i mean for the ages good. So was Sawyer's -- truly breathtaking. I seriously can't stop gushing and have to just log out now to stop myself. that good, truly.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's not specifically the 10, but the fact that he scores higher in IN than SS. To me, this makes no sense, as his skating skills are much higher than his interpretation skills. This is the one aspect of his skating that I think needs to be developed further to match his skating skills and technical elements. I realize that 10s have been given before, but my problem is the category - I would not have been as upset if that 10 had been under skating skills because I do think he has the best skating skills.

Ah, but that operates under the assumption that each PCS is equally easy to attain. I'd argue that Chan's transitions are awesome, but that's his lowest score.

--

Joey's reaction:
"Am I in first"
"Yes" (coach)
"Serious?"
coach pauses (thinks why doesn't he listen to me)
on the scoreboard now
"!!!!"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No, no....ImaginaryPogue was saying that on CBC they said Chan was NOT landing the quads in practice....so I though that was funny given the outcome of tonight.

and Siberia82, thanks for the info. I hope he continues to shine, I really enjoyed his (Balde that is) program tonight and think it might have been the first time I saw him skate.

ah, ok. I thought his story had a happy ending tonight! *whew*

Nadine

Record Breaker
Just got through reading this loooong thread, and am anxious to see Patrick Chan's performance on youtube, which sounds CHANTASTIC! :cool: Seriously, BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! :thumbsup: To do 2 quads & a 3A just raises the bar for mens skating, where it should be ~ YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)^)))))

And since he's so young (20), I expect him to be the leader for the next 3 years all the way to Sochi, he will be the one everyone else is gunning for. I adore (& my niece loves) 24 yr. old Daisuke Takahashi, but he's been injured in the past and hasn't really recovered since, so unfortunately I see him being eventually overtaken by the young 21 yr. old Takahiko Kozuka, as well as the other youngsters from Japan, however the Japanese do have a history of doing better with age (ala Arawkawa), so I still wouldn't rule out someone like 23 yr. old Nobunari Oda. After all if Evgeni Plushenko could win the Olympic Silver Medal at 27 yrs. of age, anything is possible, including Daisuke hanging in there and getting another Olympic medal. :)

But for now, I'm totally hyped & excited to see what this does for other men across the globe. Hopefully this spurs on ALL the American men to try their quads! And most importantly, for me as a fan, I would love this to spur Zhenya on in terms of working on his PCS's mark; he already has the technical mark down pat, now it's time to work on the PCS and produce a program that will blow everyone away. :)^)

And for Kevin, I'm not surprised he was left off the World Team, as I predicted yesterday. YET the silver lining is he's only 20 yrs. old, young, and a hard worker. He has plenty of time to have a Paul Wylie moment, or at least an Alyssa Czisny moment, and I totally expect him to have that moment 210%!!!!! GOOOOOOOOO KEVIN!!!!!!!! :love: When you put it all together you're phenomenal. On that note, please drop the 3axel completely from your arsenal, it has given you way too many problems, better to skate clean with quads galore than mess up big time (& lose a spot on the team) by including the 3axel. Right now you can't do both, which is no biggie, plenty of men can't do all the triples, not to mention only a handful do the quad. Therefore, DROP the 3axel please, and get back to your old self. :)^) And CONGRATS on still getting funding, and hopefully you get a spot at 4CC. If not and your season is over, better now than during the Olympic season. Btw, your "Over the Rainbow" program is my favorite mens exhibition bar none, nobody even comes close, not even Rudy Galindo. :cool:

Also, Congratulations to all Patrick Chan's fans, as I know what it feels like to have your favorite skater do well. And Congrats to Canada for bringing forth another phenomenal champion in its long line of champions. :)^)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm totally avoiding the minefield of the scores, and just say there was some great skating tonight! :)

Glad Patrick was able to do a clean 3A and two quads along with his other skills. I think if he does that at Worlds, he will be tough to beat!

But for me, Shawn Sawyer was the story of the night! He's my favorite. (Sorry PChiddy). I just love his passion for the sport and when pretty clean, that program is AMAZING!! And I love his creative edging...

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
While looking at the protocols, I've just noticed that this is the first time I've seen the Canadian judges give Shawn over 70 for his LP PCS! :) I've always found it strange that despite the overmarking which occurs at national events, Sawyer's PCS at Canadians was always the same as his international scores. :scratch: The other Canadian skaters benefitted from the home inflation, but not Shawn. I suspect that it was the national judges' way of keeping him down because of his inability to land a 3A and his "old" age. :scowl: Well, I'm glad that they finally appreciated his wonderful skating at this competition!

What does gumby mean?

Gumby is a fictional character: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumby

rain

Record Breaker
great and just about as clean as it gets. seriously, this was one amazing skate. i mean for the ages good. So was Sawyer's -- truly breathtaking. I seriously can't stop gushing and have to just log out now to stop myself. that good, truly.

Absolutely agree. I was there in the arena and it was — utterly incredible. This is one of those skates that I'll remember forever. If he skates like that at Worlds, he will be the world champion.

prettykeys

Medalist
I've always had good vibes about Patrick and wanted him to do well. His performance tonight is awe-inspiring. However, I must admit, I still want a tad more personality from Chan. That he is one of the most complete skaters who's attained one of the highest technical standards...makes me optimistic about my hopes. The one that stole my heart tonight was Shawn's Alice in Wonderland.

Really a great night for skating. I haven't been this excited for a Men's competition in a while.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've always had good vibes about Patrick and wanted him to do well. His performance tonight is awe-inspiring. However, I must admit, I still want a tad more personality from Chan. That he is one of the most complete skaters who's attained one of the highest technical standards...makes me optimistic about my hopes. The one that stole my heart tonight was Shawn's Alice in Wonderland.

Really a great night for skating. I haven't been this excited for a Men's competition in a while.

Me too! (I know I already said this). But seriously I almost cried when he was done. It was that amazing to me.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Am I right about Joey and this being the first Senior Medal at Cdns of any colour for a Newfie skater?

I would think so. I certainly can't think of a Newfoundland figure skater who is more successful than he is. I've been told that Joey became the first Newfie to make it to the national team when he finished 5th last season. (Despite you screaming murder at me near the beginning this thread, I still tried to reply to your question politely.)

prettykeys

Medalist
Me too! (I know I already said this). But seriously I almost cried when he was done. It was that amazing to me.
heehee, I know. I saw your post after I finished posting mine. ;) I'm so glad Shawn changed his mind about retiring and decided to have one more go at skating. How utterly satisfying it must be for him...and it was exhilarating to watch him.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How about this folks. He's talking about trying the quad flip next year.

"“There's more to come,” he said. “Forget about technically. Technically I think I've got it covered, although maybe the quad flip – people in Colorado are telling me I could easily do it, the way I land the triple. I guess I trust them enough to try it, so I think I'll strap on the harness again this summer."

Last year, forget the quad, the 3A was still iffy. Is still iffy. Quad wasn't working. Quad started working. Quad combo started working. Then what, last week, he says he'll try two. He does two.

I'm agog at this young man.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:)haven't taken time to read through, but Patrick was great . I even thought he was beginning to show a bit more fluidity in the body.

Shawn ..hallelujah! What a fabulous skate for him. So sad for Kevin ( Is this the character building part ?), but thrilled for Joey.

Absolutely overjoyed for Elladj I hope it's clear sailing ahead for him,now.

rain

Record Breaker
I admit that prior to this weekend, I had given up on Shawn Sawyer. I was hoping someone else would take the bronze (ha!) and get to go to worlds. Not anymore. Of all the skaters there, he looked the hungriest and most determined to do well. His SP was intense, and his LP was inspiring. I am so, so thrilled for him. The audience, as with Chan, was on its feet 30 seconds before he finished. I think this is the best he has ever competed.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
How about this folks. He's talking about trying the quad flip next year.

"“There's more to come,” he said. “Forget about technically. Technically I think I've got it covered, although maybe the quad flip – people in Colorado are telling me I could easily do it, the way I land the triple. I guess I trust them enough to try it, so I think I'll strap on the harness again this summer."

Last year, forget the quad, the 3A was still iffy. Is still iffy. Quad wasn't working. Quad started working. Quad combo started working. Then what, last week, he says he'll try two. He does two.

I'm agog at this young man.

Slow down, Patrick! If you don't need breath, we, skating fans, need breath.:laugh: Are you trying to steal the crown from the greats in the past?:biggrin: ...I'm kidding.

Go Patrick Chan!:thumbsup:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Also, a quick tribute to Annie Barabe. The gold in ladies, the silver in men. Whatever mojo she's got with her skaters, it's clearly working.