Mens LP | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Mens LP

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thank you guys! Watched it! The music added the excitement.

I really have to go to bed now. Canada - my country, enjoy Patrick Chan for the years to come!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Is there a video of the program posted yet with Kurt Browning + Tracy Wilson commentary? I can not STAND listening to PJ Wong and Josee Chouinard.

Tigger

Final Flight
I would think so. I certainly can't think of a Newfoundland figure skater who is more successful than he is. I've been told that Joey became the first Newfie to make it to the national team when he finished 5th last season. (Despite you screaming murder at me near the beginning this thread, I still tried to reply to your question politely.)

And you just proved how snotty you can be w/that shot at the end. So much for politeness.

As for me "screaming bloody murder", how would you feel if you were a hockey fan and seeing people whine (and yes dear, that is what you were doing) in such an insulting manner about your other favourite sport. Especially when that other sport shown on the same Network as skating in Canada helps to pay for said coverage?

Then again, I'm sick and tired of trying to talk sense to you. I'm done w/this conversation. How's that for being polite?

seniorita

Record Breaker
I suspect when we all calm down we might even question the 9.5's for skating skills. And, I will admit that honestly, PE and I scores have troubled me for quite awhile for lot's of skater's, but particularly Chan. And, I will also admit that I am still too "6.0ified" in my first viewing to be objective, particularly with a skate like tonight's skate. That said, it was pretty darn good interpretation, so what, maybe that should be like 7.5 or 8? I dunno. I still wish I could have been in that arena.

to be honest since it was nationals that dont play a role best scores etc and the placements are right , he could have gotten 450 overall and I wouldnt mind.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
That was great by Chan. Just watched it and it's his best performance. Hope he didn't peak too early. It would be beyond amazing if he could do it just like that at Worlds this year. It's almost a performance that a skater can only do a few times in one's career.... at most a handful if lucky.

Recall Lysacek's brilliant Nationals once where he did a quad/3 toe and a 3 axel/3 toe...and seemed to be on fire throughout.. but couldn't ever repeat that feat again. At least I don't recall that he did.

Plushenko repeated his quads and combos a good dozen times or so...one of the few to be able to keep repeating on a consistent level brilliant tech content.

Chan's performance is nearly on par with that of Plushenko's 2003 Grand Prix Final's performance...where the latter did a 4/3/3, 3 axel, and a 3 axel/3 toe late in his performance...

He didn't look all that tuckered out at the end... Very smiley and at ease... A well-trained athlete!:cool:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think from all the GS people, i must be the most shocked.
I never imagined that there would come the day that i would want to rewatch a Chan program on youtube at work!:eek::

Big Deal

Final Flight
Woww. I has watching figure skating since 1970.
I think this performance belongs to the top 6-7 all time greats amongs
Yagudin 2002 Olympic LP, John Curry 1976 Olympics, Toller Cranston 1974 (?), Brian Boitano 1988 Olympic, Stephan Lambiel 2006 World in term of a complex , technically challanging, virtuoso program which excells in different fields of elements ( jump AND edges AND spins AND footwork etc.)

I'm just interested to see that can he repeat this kind of performance in a big International Competition, like the above mentioned one's could.
Well-done!

lavender

Record Breaker
Reynolds crumbled rather badly undeer the pressure. All the talk about defeating Chan...

Not surprised at all of his results. This usually happens when you don't solely focus on yourself. Plus I think he was unrealistic in thinking quads were going to defeat Chan. He talked himself right off the podium

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If Patrick skates like this at the worlds in March, he'll be a world champion regardless how Daisuke, or any other skaters skate.

E.T.A. I wish Patrick wears black boots instead of grey.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the youtube link, ImaginaryPogue. Just watched it again and got the same chills! Can't wait to see more versions of this (and the ice dance, of which I have seen 0 to my dismay).

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Chan's protocol
1 4T 10.30 2.83 3 3 3 2 3 3 2 3 13.13
2 4T+3T+C 14.40 2.00 2 2 2 1 2 2 2 2 16.40
3 3Lz 6.00 1.52 2 2 2 2 3 3 2 2 7.52
4 SlSt3 3.30 1.50 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4.80
5 FSSp4 3.00 1.17 2 3 1 2 3 3 2 2 4.17
6 3A x 9.35 2.00 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 2 11.35
7 3Lz+1Lo+3S+C x 11.77 1.28 3 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 13.05
8 CSSp3 2.60 1.33 3 3 2 3 3 2 1 3 3.93
9 3F x 5.83 1.40 2 2 2 2 2 3 2 2 7.23
10 3Lo+2T+C x 7.15 1.05 2 1 2 1 2 1 1 2 8.20
11 2A x 3.63 1.00 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 4.63
12 ChSt1 2.00 3.00 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 5.00
13 CCoSp3 3.00 1.00 2 2 2 2 2 2 0 2 4.00

Skating Skill 2.00 9.50 9.25 9.50 9.00 9.75 9.00 9.25 9.25 18.58

Transition/Linking Footwork 2.00 9.50 8.25 9.25 9.25 9.50 8.75 9.00 9.25 18.34

Performance/Execution 2.00 9.75 9.50 9.50 9.50 10.00 9.25 9.50 9.75 19.16

Choreography/Composition 2.00 9.75 8.75 9.25 9.50 9.75 9.00 9.00 9.50 18.66

Interpretation 2.00 9.75 8.75 9.50 9.50 10.00 9.25 9.25 9.50 18.92
Your thought?

LOL! What is that judge #5? Look at her/his CoP and the second mark: 9.75, 9.50, 10.0, 9.75, 10.0

10.0 for interpretation? Surely he/she has never seen Phantom of the Opera and has no idea how the story should be interpreted. No doubt the costume should be "slightly" better than that second-hand wrong-size thing that Patrick was wearing. And no doubt he/she is totally deaf. The no-connection with the music was far too obvious. Just collects the points? Do we have a new recorod? We would. Luckily scores on nationals don't count.

On a serious note, while I think in that competition Patrick deserved to win, his ridiculous score is nothing more than a Canadian political trick for Japanese and French: "Look, our guy's score is waaaaayy better than yours' at your nationals!" And we all know that the Worlds will be in Japan.

Btw, does anybody know why Canadian commentators can't shut up during the skating? Is it the local TV audience's requirement or something else?

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I have nothing against Chan, but does anyone else think his score was slightly inflated? :think:

I mean, it was one of the best programs I've seen (definitely the best from him) but 103 on technical elements alone....?

Last edited:

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
So what if he was overscored, it's a national competition with no bearing on the international stage.

I guess people must find something to complain about since Patrick is now winning without falls and doing 2 quads and 3A is his LP. Better talk about the overscoring than his accomplishments. Oh well...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
On a serious note, while I think in that competition Patrick deserved to win, his ridiculous score is nothing more than a Canadian political trick for Japanese and French: "Look, our guy's score is waaaaayy better than yours' at your nationals!" And we all know that the Worlds will be in Japan.

I agree that 10 for IN was a little weird. Maybe the judge meant to give him 10 in SS or even 10 in TR, but accidentally punched the wrong button?;)(kidding) In the end, it's all the same. There was something that he deserved 10. You want to find bones in eggs? Bring it on! Like all other countries, including Japan and Frence, are any better at their Nationals.:sheesh:

In fact, I don't think Chan's score was outrageous. It was slightly inflated, but it was within acceptable range.

Btw, does anybody know why Canadian commentators can't shut up during the skating? Is it the local TV audience's requirement or something else?

Are US TV commentators any better? Maybe you are spoiled in Asia or in Europe. This is a whole North America's custom.;)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
10.0 for interpretation? Surely he/she has never seen Phantom of the Opera and has no idea how the story should be interpreted. No doubt the costume should be "slightly" better than that second-hand wrong-size thing that Patrick was wearing. And no doubt he/she is totally deaf. The no-connection with the music was far too obvious.

All these points are just your opinions, contrary to those of qualified judges, national and international, as well as many many skating fans like myself. It ain't true just bacause you say so.

Just collects the points? Do we have a new recorod? We would. Luckily scores on nationals don't count.

This is not about collecting points. Under any scoring system, this is a brilliant skate for the ages. For one thing, no previous great programs have had such contents. Noone else has been able to do as many quads, spins, and footwork sequences as beautifully in one program. When another skater does the same as Chan has done, technically and presentation wise, and not get comparable scores, by national or international standard according to the event, then we can decide if this is a fair score.

Since you're asking rhetorical questions to be sarcastic, the answer is that you don't to have watch a skater you dispise, whose scores you already "knew" ahead would be "ridiculous" and to subject yourslf to commentators, none of whom anywhere could match your self-recognized supreme opinions and judgments.

Many of us know to recognize, appreciate and marvel at something great and rare that just happened. If we get to enjoy additionally haters' implosions and futile pathetic attempts to discredit such an accomplishment, so much the better. Thank you.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've noticed that Shawn's LP hasn't surfaced on YouTube yet. I can try to make a screen recording of my DVD even though there were minor reception problems during the CBC television broadcast (which has Kurt & Tracy as commentators). The quality will only be medium since my software doesn't do a good job of capturing movement, but if you guys don't mind the flaws, I will start working on the video right away!

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Looking at it though, he got about 174 points at the GPF for a LP with errors (and just one quad). Here he skated flawlessly with two quads. International judges probably would have given it at least 190, so the 197 isn't really all that nationally inflated.

Totally agree!

I've noticed that Shawn's LP hasn't surfaced on YouTube yet. I can try to make a screen recording of my DVD even though there were minor reception problems during the CBC television broadcast (which has Kurt & Tracy as commentators). The quality will only be medium since my software doesn't do a good job of capturing movement, but if you guys don't mind the flaws, I will start working on the video right away!

Thanks! Appreciate it! Read all your comments about Shawn's LP, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

eta. Is there any skater or Patrick himself has gotten 10 in any of the five categories in PCS before this time? I'm not aware of it.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
I thought Patrick's interpretation of the music was great. I've understood the criticism before of him skating through the music in the past, but this time, no way.
I thought he felt every note of the music, as Scott Hamilton would say. Truly. I was completely caught up in the performance.
It gave me the shivers - and my feed was fuzzy. I can't even imagine how sensational it must have been live.
If ONE judge got caught up in his performance and gave him a 10 for interpretation, what is the big deal? How many times does that happen for favorites at nationals? Geez, Sasha Cohen got a perfect six for presenation at U.S. nationals in 2004 from one judge and she fell. And Michelle Kwan never got as many perfect sixes at worlds as she did at nationals. And for that matter, Rachael Flatt broke 200 points last year at nationals.

Under 6.0 I probably would have given him a 5.9 for tech merit and 5.9 for presentation. (As expressive as I thought he was, I don't think he's quite as natural a performer as a Daisuke or a Michelle Kwan or Alexei Yagudin.) But if one judge had given him a 6.0 I wouldn't have hit the roof.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
WOW! I'm still shaking. Two fantastic, absolutely amazing and breathtaking performances. I am so, beyond so, happy for Shawn. But, dang, Patrick, that was also truly amazing. Thanks is all I can really say...and....i'm so going to watch these two over and over and over again if they pop up on YouTube.

Snowflake, seriously, thank you for finding this link. It was beyond a privilege to watch the final flight "live".

You are welcome and I agree with your post. But actually I just remembered the link that Seniorita posted in the mens-short-thread and tried it now and then during the LP ... and BINGO!

In addition to the great first three guys I must express how happy I am that Balde is back. Hope he stays healthy and hangs on. And now, being top five, he gets financial support according to other posters. What a performer! Lovely movements and musicality. I loved the triple lutz he did, BANG, to the music. Will we see him at 4CC? If we can watch ... in Tapei ... hm ...

So (thanks Siberia) Gumby is a green clay figure :laugh: Is this Shawn's official nickname then?

gottadance

On the Ice
does anybody know what Kevin R was referring to in his post performance interview when he said that he had a lot on his mind and then added " more than usual " ?? Is there somethign going on with him other than normal comp nerves? I felt so sorry seeing him so downcast but at least he gets 4C's!
Somebody please post some of the other LP performances on YouTube - we Canadian skating fans in the US are going crazy trying to see what you are all talking about !!!!! thanks!