Mens LP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Mens LP

wallylutz

Medalist
Come on, enjoy the moment. Two quads. Triple Axel landed. And he didn't - he didn't do his second triple-triple combination (the 3F+3T, going for the 3Lo+2T). Room for improvement.

I'm overjoyed.

Actually, he did a 3 Lutz + Half Loop + 3 Salchow sequence which, under this year rule, is credited as a jump combo for marks. Because of that, he could not have done the 3 Flip + 3 Toe as you may only repeat a jump of 3 rotations and higher TWICE. He repeated Quad Toe and Triple Lutz so no more repetition is allowed.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
In your face, haters!

Exactly. I guess he's doing "man's skating" now, huh Plushenko?

I think taking out the 3ax combo took a lot of pressure off him since the 3 ax is his nemesis. You can tell by the height and speed of teh quad, it's more natural for him than the 3 ax.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
This is the program in my head and I'm sure in his head all along the road to (near)perfection littered with nays, put downs and disdains that geniuses have to endure.

Both my wishes for Shawn and Patrick came through. I never jinxed them.

jettasian

Match Penalty
The best Chan skate I have ever seen!!! Oh, how I wish this is the Olympic year. Nobody would have beaten him in Van last year. He's one year too late, sigh. Let's hope he can repeat tonight's performance at world. Nobody will be able to beat him.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually, he did a 3 Lutz + Half Loop + 3 Salchow sequence which, under this year rule, is credited as a jump combo for marks. Because of that, he could not have done the 3 Flip + 3 Toe as you may only repeat a jump of 3 rotations and higher TWICE. He repeated Quad Toe and Triple Lutz so no more repetition is allowed.

Wait. The quad counts then? So you can't do two quad toes, two 3A's and two 3toes, for example? My bad.

museksk8r, you realize that you've actually complained more about Chan's performance here than praise it, right? Does that make sense to you?

katia

On the Ice
Hey, it is not a good skate, it is great skate. For Chan. And very good skate for Sawyer.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Wow Shawn was magical, and such inspiration, he is 26 years old and doesnt give up, fantastic program, I didnt want it to end!
And Chan WOW, I have no words, he is like another skater from last season, if he skates like this count me a fan!:clap:
Glad I stayed awake!

Layfan

Record Breaker
I'm just still so blown away. I almost feel like I did last year when I watched Yuna at the Olympics. That has to be the best men's LP I've seen since I don't know when...

I thought he looked a little scared starting his program and I thought, oh no, if a skater this good lets himself get undone by Shawn's wonderful performance, he's a fool.... But he didn't! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!

That crowd streaming out of the rink just must be elated after those two back-to-back performances.

emma

Record Breaker
WOW! I'm still shaking. Two fantastic, absolutely amazing and breathtaking performances. I am so, beyond so, happy for Shawn. But, dang, Patrick, that was also truly amazing. Thanks is all I can really say...and....i'm so going to watch these two over and over and over again if they pop up on YouTube.

Snowflake, seriously, thank you for finding this link. It was beyond a privilege to watch the final flight "live".

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The best Chan skate I have ever seen!!! Oh, how I wish this is the Olympic year. Nobody would have beaten him in Van last year. He's one year too late, sigh. Let's hope he can repeat tonight's performance at world. Nobody will be able to beat him.

He needed the Olympic experience to achieve what he just did. It's all part of the journey to true greatness.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Wow Shawn was magical, and such inspiration, he is 26 years old and doesnt give up, fantastic program, I didnt want it to end!
And Chan WOW, I have no words, he is like another skater from last season, if he skates like this count me a fan!:clap:
Glad I stayed awake!

Seniorita is an almost fan. Hurray!!!! Go Chan! Also, I agree - I didn't want Shawn's program to end either. Thank goodness for Justin TV.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
If you compare Chan's score at nationals to his international personal best, then do the same for other skaters, you'll find that Chan got around the same amount of inflation as everybody else. For instance, Joey Russell got 30 points over his international PB, while Chan got around 26 over his international PB. However, Chan skated his best LP ever while Russell still had room for improvement. But of course the haters are going to pretend anything above 100 is an evil conspiracy of blind judges where the sole beneficiary is Patrick Chan.

If all you want out of every competition are arbitrary scores that satisfy your own personal grievances and prejudices, you do not deserve to enjoy this sport that thousands of athletes risk life and limb for.

ibauer

Rinkside
Chan's score was ridiculous but the placements were right, so I won't argue with the final results. I'm feeling very happy for Sawyer and Russell right now...

prettykeys

Medalist
It still strikes me as remarkable that in just one season, Patrick gains the quad (of course he's been training it for years, but he gets it this season and does it buttery-smooth) and then does it consistently.

The ease with which he does them--if I wasn't paying attention to the rotations, they would pass my eyes for triples.

M

mylastduchess

When he said, too bad its not worlds, I thought too bad its not the olympics

Tigger

Final Flight
Watched the Final Flight upstairs w/the Parents because for some odd reason when I've hit Record on the VCR, I get static/scratchy sound for some freaky reason. It's done that all weekend too. Just a tad worrisome as that's never happened before. Anyway...

Way to go Newfie Boy!!! So happy for Joey and IIRC, that's the first Senior Medal of any Colour for a skater representing Newfoundland and Labrador. Congratulations to him and I'll bet there'll be a few toasts on The Rock tonight to Joey.

Shawn...Oh Shawn...FINALLY!! I am so beyond thrilled for him I don't even know where to begin. I nearly wrecked the chair I was sitting in watching at the end of his performance. I was at 2002 Cdns when he won the Jr Title and...It's been a long road, but so deserved. I'm going to be a mess in a minute when that Silver Medal's put around his neck.

And then there's Patrick. What more can be said except for this...

Is he a man now Evgeni and Elvis?

WOW!! Smart move taking out the second axel and putting in another quad. Both were gorgeous!!

What a way to end Canadians this year. Thanks for the awesome show Guys!!

emma

Record Breaker
I think some of the most memorable wins or great skates, for me, have been when skaters did their best at nationals; Galindo 96, Kwan 98, Abbot 2010, now Shawn and Chan 2011....amazing. really. I am so excited by these two amazing skates I am at a loss for words. Worlds is a big deal and I love that chan was wishing this was worlds in terms of skater priorities; but for fans like me, I loved tonight and loved that he did this at nationals. Shawn too - that program was amazing; from the first to the last note and the costume (then the hat in the KnC). I would sooooooo love to me in the stadium right now AND at the after party!