Ice Dance, Short Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance, Short Dance

oleada

Record Breaker
Yes, but when you are assigned a "Viennese Waltz" (light and happy) and you do a "Vals Cruzado", IMO it is a classic fail. The GW is a Viennese. Now it might have been interesting to do the GW to appropriate music and segue into a Vals Cruzado, given that tango & waltz are allowed as a secondary choices. Otherwise it just looks like superficial "cleverness" by a coach attempting to make a new team look interesting, and to cover up their flaws in doing the GW correctly, to the beat.

I don't know anything about this at all, but isn't this the same as using music that isn't a waltz at all, like Fallin', for example? That is hardly "light and happy".

Watching US Nats, Euros, Canadians, etc. I've realized that I much more enjoy SDs where the music used is a waltz - for example, programs like R/T's waltz over C/P's Fallin' or some other Canadian junior couple that used some pop song - because it's hard for me to relate the pattern dance part to the pop music. I don't know enough about waltzes to see anything about I/K; I quite like the program.

I am glad though, that not all skaters are upbeat because frankly I prefer the drama.

Last edited:

Lucky Star

Final Flight
I don't know anything about this at all, but isn't this the same as using music that isn't a waltz at all, like Fallin', for example? That is hardly "light and happy".

Watching US Nats, Euros, Canadians, etc. I've realized that I much more enjoy SDs where the music used is a waltz - for example, programs like R/T's waltz over C/P's Fallin' or some other Canadian junior couple that used some pop song - because it's hard for me to relate the pattern dance part to the pop music. I don't know enough about waltzes to see anything about I/K; I quite like the program.

I am glad though, that not all skaters are upbeat because frankly I prefer the drama.

ITA. I remember the young Canadians Paul/Islam skated their pattern dance to the tango's music. That was weird, really.
As for I/K, I liked how the pattern dance looks in this music, it makes them original. And first of all this dark waltz IS waltz, not tango or a pop song