Pairs FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:disapp::disapp:..that was pretty sad...

I have a hard time warming to Yuko too...but not to their programs this year ( particularly the FS).

I have no problem warming to Aliona (well, not her costume designs ,and sometimes ugly positions )...but I often don't like their programs , either. So, really , I didn't have a favourite going in .

That said ,the outcome smacks of gift to me , even if it was a small margin.
B/L and G/E had some great stuff and beautiful skates.

I really like B/H and both their programs. Hope they do well at World's.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I have decided not to get upset by results again.I loveeeeeeeeee the pink panther program, they show such diversity and i dont like K/S at all, nice program though, but Aliona stood there for what it seems 10 minutes to me, and waited to catch up. It was huge disuption and then she was off for a while, plus the doubles S. When i think I know who wins , i m always guessing wrong. Yes I know , there is an Sp, we said that in Vancouver also..but K/S barely won the Lp also.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
K/S lost on PCS. They barely edged out on P/E. They lost on CH and IN, really? Ridiculous judging. If K/S got such crap CH and IN, S/S should get like 6 or 7 for their program.
Huge gift to the Germans.
We need to revisit PCS again because they don't make much sense in this case. K/S LP is a masterpiece choreographically. :mad:

mousepotato

On the Ice
I think people need to step back and realize what K/S have been through this season. Yuko had MAJOR surgury in April Aleexander had groin surgery as well, when they came back in June he sprained his anlke and was off the ice for 9 weeks then he got married and did start skating unttil Septemebr 1. They lost a ton of time I think what they have been able to accomplish is amazing. Not to mention it was about 20 degrees colder than what all the skaters are used too.

I think K/S should have won but it really could have gone either way with a much closer score.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
First of, how bad was the camera work? They made a mess of the SBS, most times they focused on one person (in some cases just the boot), very dissapointing.

I really thought K/S had won the gold, I much preferred their performance to S/S. I can not believe they could be bet on IN and CH by S/S, they really captured the music, it was romantic. In the past I always felt their long let them down but I think this is the long programme of the season. Does anyone not think there was a long time between S/S 3T sequence?

Very impressed with B/L, they really delivered especially after their disappointing GPF performance. One issue I would have is her jumps, they are very low and out of sync with him. Can they do a second triple? Or would a 2A combination score than a 3/2 combination?

G/E really went for it and apart from her fall on the second throw it was flawless. They are improving from competition to competition and think justified their inclusion in the Russain squad. Italians were good again (their short is better) but if they keep working they could go places.

The K/K fall was scary, it's a pity they don't have triple jumps as everything else they is pretty good. Really like the Czech couple, I really hope they progress well into the future. Disappointing that only 16 couples took part down from 21 last year.

The arena must be freezing, the audience were wearing hats, scarves, gloves and wrapped in blankets and they still looked cold. Can't be great for the skater

oleada

Record Breaker
Very impressed with B/L, they really delivered especially after their disappointing GPF performance. One issue I would have is her jumps, they are very low and out of sync with him. Can they do a second triple? Or would a 2A combination score than a 3/2 combination?

No, she doesn't have a second triple as far as I know. They already do a 2A+2A combo. Her 3T is actually much better than what it used to be, if you can believe that, and she hardly ever misses it. Obviously synchronization is an issue, but the fact that she can land it and rotate it every single time out is a huge improvement already. I think her 3T is better than her 2A at this point.

I remember when this team surprised everyone by winning the silver at Junior Worlds in 2007...and then the drug ban, etc. They've come a long way and I'm glad to see them on the podium. They have world champion potential.

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I really thought K/S had won the gold, I much preferred their performance to S/S. I can not believe they could be bet on IN and CH by S/S, they really captured the music, it was romantic.

Thank god someone agree with me. I'm not that out of touch with reality. A program that good got lower IN and CH than some clownish programs? Unbelievable.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As I mentioned before Europeans the Russian fed. clearly now see Volosozhar & Trankov as their #1 team. So anyone that was surprised K/S didnt get higher scores, well that is the explanation. The Russian federation wouldnt have even really pushed for them to win here, when they dont want any confusion who their top team they favor now is. I predicted as much before Europeans as well.

oleada

Record Breaker
I don't think S/S free skate is clownish at all, rather it's fun, entertaining and light hearted. They've done very serious LPs and romantic LPs, so it's a change of direction and IMO it works.

Buzzz

Final Flight
congratulations to all the medalist and thanks for all the PBP. Nice to see Yuko health and skating so beautifully. :)

oleada

Record Breaker
Interesting that B/L's LP score is higher than what P/T have scored all season and their overall score is only about a point off. P/T really need to start landing the jumps in the LP and getting their levels...

mousepotato

On the Ice
I almost wish we had a dislike button on this board for boring posters and their tripe. :rolleye:

All the teams got the points and the levels they deserved for the programs they delivered considering by the time they were done most couldn't feel their fingers and toes. Some had a great skate like the Italian's SP and some made strange mistakes in the FS like Aliona's spin or Alexander's final lift but it was a great and fair competition. The Germans won the short. The Russian won the free....now off to Worlds. ;)

I amend my thought slightly below...........

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Kavaguti/Smirnov were robbed of this title.

Savchenko made a HUGE mistake. I mean seriously, they lost an entire element and it disrupted the program for about 12 seconds! That's one of the most damaging breaks to a figure skating performance I've ever seen! It would be like if she fell on a throw, sat on the ice and decided to do her hair and nails, and he just kept skating around the rink by himself until she finally decided to get up. The rest of the program wasn't even perfect, they doubled the Salchow too.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Kavaguti/Smirnov were robbed of this title.

Savchenko made a HUGE mistake. I mean seriously, they lost an entire element and it disrupted the program for about 12 seconds! That's one of the most damaging breaks to a figure skating performance I've ever seen! It would be like if she fell on a throw, sat on the ice and decided to do her hair and nails, and he just kept skating around the rink by himself until she finally decided to get up. The rest of the program wasn't even perfect, they doubled the Salchow too.

After watching the free again I must say I agree with you.

I can forgive her for missing the element (it does happen) but the rest of the elements were not great either.

1. Let's start with the infamous sbs spin, we all know what happened to her but he was terrible with zero flexibility.

2. The twist was crashy with no split (level 1). K/S was better.

3. He stood up on the second half of the death spiral (big no no!), I have no idea how that got a level 2!

4. The second 3T seq was off (slightly).

5. The lifts were done well but not as well as K/S although Alexander messed up the last lift (he said his shoulder siezed up).

6. Both ChSp were good but a slight edge to K/S for more flexablility, speed and change of hands.

7. S/S AMAZING 3Fth, I'm suprised they didn't get all +3, what are the judges wanting?

8. 2S way off

9. 3Sth hangs on but it's hard to tell if her arm movements are choreography or attempts to save the landing since it's different every time she does it.

K/S were ahead on Performance and Execution but they should have also been ahead on Choreography/Composition and Interpretation.

S/S were too far ahead in the short, too far ahead in the free and K/S were too far behind in the free. Sorry but after further review of protocols and youtube vids, K/S were robbed :mad:

I know the judges have only a few minutes and not 24 hours and it was very close only a couple points not 20 but it's still :disapp:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agreed completely with the short program judging but I agree in the long program K/S were definitely undermarked compared to S/S with how both skated. However as I said I predicted and fully expected this to happen. The difference between being Russian #1 and Russian #2, even with the Russian #1 not there.

mousepotato

On the Ice
I agreed completely with the short program judging but I agree in the long program K/S were definitely undermarked compared to S/S with how both skated. However as I said I predicted and fully expected this to happen. The difference between being Russian #1 and Russian #2, even with the Russian #1 not there.

Russian #1 or #2 is a very out dated concept going back to the '90s 6.0 block judging, it isn't in the COP in 2011. Judges now couldn't care less who won nationals a month ago. V/T will have to win many more competions to be at the level of K/S, not just one or two. The judges undermarked K/S in both the short and the free because they just expected the Germans to be better or maybe they thought because of the injuries the Russians would look worse and didn't give them enough credit. Either way, a lot of people think the German's win was suspect and that's too bad.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Russian #1 or #2 is a very out dated concept going back to the '90s 6.0 block judging, it isn't in the COP in 2011.

If the judging were perfect and by the book then you wouldnt be complaining about judging of a competition now would you. All the unoffiical rules that applied to skating judging in the past still do under COP. It is in fact easy to fudge GOE and PCS depending on who is in favor and who isnt.

And most people expect V/T to place above K/S at Worlds now so I am not sure what you are talking about as far as a lower level. :laugh: It is not like K/S win alot of competitions in their career to date despite being a team for 5 years now.