Ladies sp 7:15 est!!!! | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Ladies sp 7:15 est!!!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
quick thoughts:

- Very tight among the top 4
- Glad Czisny was able to pull it off
- Disappointed for Wagner, but not a shock given that she was ill. Still, for 4th yr in a row she sabotages herself in the SP. But she was secure enough to crack a joke about it on her twitter
- The last girl who skated was placed a bit low, I thought
- 15 yr old Lam was the biggest surprise of all. I remember someone mentioning her name as someone to watch. That person was right- but let's see how she handles the FS
- Best skate I've ever seen from Flatt. I would have had her in the lead, but I think there was something with the spins
- Most pleasant surprise: Musademba
- Saturday is going to be quite interesting

Gymfan15

On the Ice
Thank you!

Looks like a good draw for the top three. Alissa may benefit by going first of the leaders (or end up getting buried); and Rachel should definitely get a boost from closing out the show. Mirai could go either way, but it's not a bad spot. Looking forward to Saturday!

brightphoton

Medalist
Oh Caroline! 10th place? I had really hoped that she would rally back this year ;_;

My other favorite Ashley flubbed the short again. sigh.

I missed the competition. I'll have to catch everyone's performances on Youtube or Universal Sports.

Edit: I hadn't realized Danielle Kahle was competing here too. She scored 45 points. That's pretty good.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Wow...Mirai's jumps have gotten bigger. She's getting some great height.

Omigosh I'm DYING to see these programs! Especially Mirai of course, Alissa, Christine and Rachael too-I want to see the Big Bird dress, and frenetic footwork everyone was talking about!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Why are people acting like Ashley skated so bad. She had only one mistake and it wasnt like a fall or anything. She would have been no higher than 5th or 6th even clean. She just is being passed by. She was never quite good enough even when competing only against the skaters of her own generation (Zhang, Nagasu, Flatt) and now with the up and comers coming up her small window is probably closed for good.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How old is Vanessa Lam? She's so tiny. Has she gone through her growth spurt yet? Hopefully she will grow a bit more but keep her jumps because she needs a bit more power. She will need bigger jumps to compete with the top ladies.

The top US Skaters appear to be in a tie, and the probable Spoilers are close by. The LP will make the winner but seriously, did anyone actually lose?

Ladies skating, for me, is all the same. I would say only Siraj had a different style to offer.

I could argue more about the placements of the field than about the leading ladies. For example, Gilles should have been ahead of Zhang. Alexei had a stunning performance albeit with the predominant style that ladies prefer. There were others down there too that I could move around the results.

If someone were to claim that the judging was guided towards these results, I would not believe them, but it does look(kind of) that way to me.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I really wish I could watch Rachael and Mirai again. The feed kept freezing up on both of they're programs. Especially, Mirai, which is why I haven't been able to say much about her program.

Is it possible to reach watch on icenetwork? I haven't found any videos yet.

At some point in the next week or two, icenetwork will have the videos up.

ivy

On the Ice
From the protocols it looks like Flatt changed the order of the spins in her program - any news as to why? Is it just getting used to a new program and tweeking the layout - or a lose of concentration after missing the triple-triple+

Layfan

Record Breaker
The top US Skaters appear to be in a tie, and the probable Spoilers are close by. The LP will make the winner but seriously, did anyone actually lose?

Ladies skating, for me, is all the same. I would say only Siraj had a different style to offer.

I could argue more about the placements of the field than about the leading ladies. For example, Gilles should have been ahead of Zhang. Alexei had a stunning performance albeit with the predominant style that ladies prefer. There were others down there too that I could move around the results.

If someone were to claim that the judging was guided towards these results, I would not believe them, but it does look(kind of) that way to me.

I dunno. I agree there is a lot of similarity out there but for example I can't think of two more different styles than Alissa Czisny and Agnes Zadwadski. They are anything but the same.

To be honest I think there are only two U.S. singles skaters right now who have a true style, Alissa and Jeremy. Well, maybe Adam.

Mirai and Rachael are still finding theirs. But I really admire Rachael for searching. I think her FS tries to do something different. I don't love it but I can appreciate what it tries to do. And I think she came really close to finding her style with her new SP.

With Mirai, I just love her skating but does anyone else wonder how much input she has in her own choreo and music? I like her FS much better than her SP. It's a bit closer to the kind of mature skating I believe she is extremely capable of. But I think Lori Nichols has yet to choreograph something really great for Mirai.

I get the feeling that Mirai is an easy skater to choreograph for as she can pull off a lot. But I'd like to see something more distinctive for her.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
amazing. I found out through several fan forums that Agnes skated slow, but GAO skate fast despite the slips of the change foot spin and double axel. GAO got a 25.33 in pcs, but AGNES got a 27.
GAO did a triple/triple like agnes.
I am amazed that the ASian ladies, chinese and korean got lowball in pcs. Yet the white girls got high only mirai (japanese got high)pcs.
i though gao deserved a 26 in pc's.
you take a look at the pcs scores for the white ladies you find out they are higher and you wonder why we think there is still racism in your sport.
alissa should have gotten a ur on her triple lutz , plus her single triple. By the way I am rooting for ALissa.
i was only able to watch the first group
also i can't pull up scores on icenework for the short even though they are (free).

Last edited:
From the protocols it looks like Flatt changed the order of the spins in her program - any news as to why? Is it just getting used to a new program and tweeking the layout - or a lose of concentration after missing the triple-triple+

Isn't this the first time she has performed this program? What are you comparing it to?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
amazing. I found out through several fan forums that Agnes skated slow, but GAO skate fast despite the slips of the change foot spin and double axel. GAO got a 25.33 in pcs, but AGNES got a 27.
GAO did a triple/triple like agnes.
I am amazed that the ASian ladies, chinese and korean got lowball in pcs. Yet the white girls got high only mirai (japanese got high)pcs.
i though gao deserved a 26 in pc's.
you take a look at the pcs scores for the white ladies you find out they are higher and you wonder why we think there is still racism in your sport.
alissa should have gotten a ur on her triple lutz , plus her single triple. By the way I am rooting for ALissa.
i was only able to watch the first group
also i can't pull up scores on icenework for the short even though they are (free).

Just so I understand clearly, you feel that Gao deserved about a point higher in PCS, which translates to approximately 0.25 increase in per component score, and that demonstrates racism in the sport?

fairly4

Medalist
partly but take a look at agnes got a full point ahead of gao in the pc's. they should have been a bit closer.
i am saying gao should have gotten a 26.50 in pcs. minimum 26.
but most the asian skaters have low pcs scores 19, 20, 22. very few got 25.
vanessa got a higher pc than gao, gao 25.33,
only mirai (japanese got a 30.)
what i am saying because agnes skated slow her pc's scores should not have got a 27.she should have got a 25. despite the triple/triple. slowness plays a factor in asian pc's scores being low why not agnes. but it is a continually yearly thing . look at courtney her pcs. look at previous years.
it plays out asian/ chinese, korean gets lower pc's versus other why slow skating. yet agnes got a 27. despite skating slow.