Senior Dance? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Senior Dance?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The Shibs never cease to amaze me. That was quite a FD, amazing. They are nipping at Meryl and Charlie's heels.

guess Meryl and Charlie will soon know how Tanith and Ben felt the last couple of seasons they were with Marina and Igor.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Ok, I've just watched it and wonder why Meryl doesn't point her toes ever. Is this not something that's done anymore? Something that isn't important as it once was? Just wondering because I notice that other teams do (not all though)

Alex and Maia are the Adele and Fred Astaire of ice dancing, :clap:

What a wonderful simile, Math!

Amazing: even without Tanith and Ben, we still have two possibly world-class ice dance couples. Splendid.

It's been awhile since we've seen a sibling pair skating together at the top level. The issue of whether they can dance romantically definitely injects itself into the discussion. Fred and Adele Astaire did wonderful dances that weren't romantic, because the "top" music of the time didn't necessarily need that kind of torrid expression. (Fred was famous for his aloofness both on and off the screen. The assumption was that Ginger brought the chemistry when she became his partner after Adele married and retired.) The last really top couple who were sibs were the Duchesnays, and they tended toward the ground-breaking rather than the romantic. I still remember the explanation of their use of music from West Side Story in 1992: supposedly they were portraying Maria and her brother Bernardo.

In other words, I'm not sure I can suspend disbelief for a romantic skate by siblings, but there are ways to get around it.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't have a problem with sibling couples portraying romance on ice either, it's a performance. However, I did find it amusing to note that the Hubbells generated more chemistry and heat than all the other couples shown. Davis/White seemed more like a pair of siblings in their tango than the Hubbells.

I think someone sexy like Madison Hubbell is limited in what programs she can do because she's skating with a sibling. She could do much hotter dances if her partner wasn't a sibling. Same goes for most of these girls skating with their brother.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I'm not sure the Hubbells are limited so much by their sibling-hood, as by the way they skate. Saw them live last fall and I'm sorry, but they skate like they are wearing lead boots and pushing through quicksand. Both SD and FD so it didn't seem to be strictly a program-related thing. It was quite noticeable compared to other teams, even some much less experienced. Not sure how one fixes this.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I hope the SDs will make it to YouTube soon. I've only been able to see the NBC coverage and was pretty disappointed to only see D/W's SD.

*** Oops, guess I already said that..obsessed, much ?

Last edited:
Not to worry, Colleen. If you can't be obsessed by something as glorious as skating, life has a lot less meaning.

And I can't wait for the YouTube editions of everything either.

fairly4

Medalist
Merly & Charlie -congratulations on winning your 3rd national title, scores deserved, personnally hope you kick it at worlds. good luck, 4 cc good luck, rooting for you to win again. Great skate, keep it up.

Maia & Alex, great skate, great future, congratulations on winning the silver medal. Keep it up. looking forward to 4cc and worlds.personally hope you do will in worlds l
Chock & Zuerlein,congratulations on winning bronze medal