College figure skating | Golden Skate

College figure skating

brightphoton

Medalist
I was reading Aunt Joyce the other day, and slowly I've learned that there's lots of levels for gymnastics. Elite means Olympic level, and level 10 is the college, non-Olympic level. I'm not sure of the technical differences, but watching casually, level 10 seems like a heavier, slower, more boring version of Elite. Yet there's a large following for all the college girls. Why doesn't figure skating also have a college league of some sort? We could have figure skating teams and cheer for double flips and stuff.

Isn't there some kind of college level? I vaguely remember that Alissa Czisny was at one time the college champion, whatever that means. I assumed it meant that there was a college skating competition circuit.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
yes there is a collegiate level and you can compete in it while competing in ISU/Federation events.

Quite a few colleges have figure skating clubs. They are mostlty recreational, but I believe there are a few regional competitions. Here is somebody's list of the top college figure kating clubs.

http://www.insidecollege.com/reno/Colleges-with-Strength-in-Figure-Skating/523/list.do

There is an annual U.S. Collegiate Championship event. As Olympia mentioned, Alissa Czisny has won it representing Bowling Green Unuversity. In fact, she won twice. One time Alissa was first and her sister Amber was second.

Sometimes ringers will show up. For instance, Ryan Bradley entered and won in the last two years.

In alternate years the winners get to go to the International Collegiate Championship. The dates usually conflict with U.S. nationals, however, so skaters like Ryan and Alissa don't get to go, in the years that our collegiate champion is also an elite competitive skater. (This seldom happens anyway.) I think Takahashi has won this international event, also Zhang and Zhang. Oda will be competing this year.

Many elite skaters who go on to college after they retire from competition becomne involved in college clubs as coaches and mentors. For instance, Matt Savoie at Cornell Law School.

Last edited: