Pairs LP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pairs LP

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congratulations to Caitlin and John so happy for them. Amanda and Mark were great too.
Great skating from the top three teams. Wish we had 3 spots for Worlds instead of 2.

emma

Record Breaker
i haven't looked at protocols, but I suspect e/l racked up some 2nd half bonuses with those lifts....plus, there is the short program to think about.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Looking at the protocols, now up.

Comments from the lowest up
- Bereswill and Young got no points for the death spiral at all. Is that where the fall was?
- Same thing for Castelli and Shnapir's choreo spirals - one of the falls or did they not meet requirements?
- Marley and Brubaker had loads of level 4 elements in the latter half of their program. Pretty spiffy. (Yes, I used the word "spiffy".)
- Caydee and Jeremy got only "Double Axel + SEQ" for their Double Axel + Double Axel sequence, which hurt them.
- Amanda and Mark got an 8.65! for that beautiful lift (7.15 + 1.50 GOE). Nice!
- Caitlin and John actually got a slightly lower tech score than Amanda and Mark, but beat them on the PCS by a bit. They also got a 1.20 GOE on their throw triple Salchow, which is pretty cool.

MikiAndoFan#1

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Caitlin & John, the 2011 U.S. champions! :love: Yay for Amanda & Mark (I love this couple!), Caydee & Jeremy and Mary Beth & Rockne! :yay:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Caitlin and John's program was beautiful and moving. One of the best Pairs programs I've seen at US Nationals. I think if they keep doing better, they may become contenders at the international level. I loved both their skates here.

Bruin714

On the Ice
US Pairs hasn't looked this good in a long time. Typically, whoever falls the least wins. The quality is so high now.

gold12345

Medalist
I actually don't think the quality is that good. :laugh: These teams do have limitations internationally, and very few teams scored that well even with the inflated Nationals scoring. But on this day, who cares :)...I thoroughly enjoyed watching the competition. I thought the race for 2nd was going to be even closer once Evora/Ladwig had mistakes on the throw and the lift, but that 2A sequence must have really hurt Denney/Barrett.

I'm thrilled for Yankowskas/Coughlin. I didn't know they had that type of skate in them. They've never even been top 5 at Nationals before, and I'm proud of them for sticking with it. They didn't just take advantage of the weaker field, they really went out and earned it.

I thought Marley/Brubaker kept their composure pretty well after that nasty wipeout. They have a lot of kinks to work out, but it was wonderful to see Rockne back on the ice. I love the quality of his skating.

Too bad Castelli/Shnapir had a fall on the throw 3A. She's been standing some up all week.

Last edited:

Nadine

Record Breaker
So sad I missed it, but my flatscreen gave out this AM after the early morning Pairs FS, finally found a spare 46" one that is GIGANTIC, but just happy I'm now able to watch & post once again! :)

:party2:CONGRATULATIONS, GRETCHEN & ANDREW, ON FINISHING 7TH (moved up 2 spots!) AT YOUR FIRST SENIOR NATIONALS!!!!:rock:

****I honestly loooooved both your programs ~ "Moonlight Sonata" brought back shades of G&G, then Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" brought me back to my college days ~ BRAVO!****

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Marley and Brubaker were so impressive after being together only five months. They could medal next season. I feel a bit sorry for Denney and Barrett but they were just outskated this time. Caitlin and John have really improved this season, and Amanda and Mark were beautiful as always.

Congratulations to Caitlin & John, the 2011 U.S. champions! :love: Yay for Amanda & Mark (I love this couple!), Caydee & Jeremy and Mary Beth & Rockne! :yay:

I haven't seen the winners, but like you, I love Evora and Ladwig. I thought their Olympic programs last year were lovely. I'm glad they're going to Worlds again. Though pairs are a crowded field internationally, and I don't know how our pairs will do in terms of getting a third spot, I gather we're sending two good sets, and that's enough for me.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I'm also excited about Rockne & his partner, at least they look well matched like G&G were, similar coloring (could pass for brother & sister), great difference in height perfect for Rockne to be able to lift her (pray that she doesn't grow any more!), et al. Only thing I'm a bit perturbed about are her shoulders, she hunches them up naturally, which concerns me when it comes to aethetics in pairs, but heck I've seen so many pairs do well that don't even come close to the perfection of G&G that this shouldn't be a problem on the world scene.

The pair that won look good, but my gosh she wears way tooooo much make-up, she's going to look like an old wrinkled raisin by the time she's in her 30's if she doesn't stop tanning & wearing all that gunk on her face. But good for them for winning, and earning it by all accounts! :cool:

Still, American pairs look all the same to me, nobody stands out in either looks or athletic ability, except maybe Rockne & Mary Beth. Also, though Donlan & Speroff are the best looking pairs out there, they need to up their tech. difficulty & speed, and I'm not sure they can. Still, what they do do is GORGEOUS!!!! I have both of their programs bookmarked on my faves! :love:

gold12345

Medalist
What does coloring and how tan people are have to do with anything? :rolleye: As far as Yankowskas is concerned, we don't know if she goes tanning, or just has a spray tan, or is just wearing a lot of makeup (she always wears a lot of eye makeup). What does it even matter? Her skating was lovely enough that all this other trivial stuff really doesn't matter.

Nadine

Record Breaker
It doesn't match that's why, and in pairs the whole concept is that two shall skate as one. That's why G&G will always be #1 for me ~ the Soviet Union matched them up when they were youngsters ~ like they did all their pairs, which is why there was such symmetry amongst them all, part of what made them great imho.

Btw, I think Keanu left Rockne thinking he would take her back once she got over her snit about not making the Olympic Team. Now he's with Mary Beth she's going to have a big wake up call! Too bad, her loss. :p

It's getting late and I still haven't had time to watch the Mens FS from Euros, plan to do so now! :)

Pairs, unfortunately, is a feat of Acrobatics. It is no longer a pas de deux as it used to be. Think BS, SP and even Henie in the movies. It is a Sport of Acrobatics on Ice. As such, there is a competition for those who enjoy daredevil stunts. JMO.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
What does coloring and how tan people are have to do with anything? :rolleye: As far as Yankowskas is concerned, we don't know if she goes tanning, or just has a spray tan, or is just wearing a lot of makeup (she always wears a lot of eye makeup). What does it even matter? Her skating was lovely enough that all this other trivial stuff really doesn't matter.

:rock: And we wonder why so many in N. America refuse to take this sport seriously. When we're griping that judges need to consider the skaters tanning habits into their scores.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
:rock: And we wonder why so many in N. America refuse to take this sport seriously. When we're griping that judges need to consider the skaters tanning habits into their scores.

Sadly, I was always under the impression that judges did unfairly criticize skaters' appearances. Wasn't Johnny Weir told not to wear a certain outfit? And I think Elaine Zayak was yelled at for having acne, iirc. I don't think Caitlin looked too tough, but I did say a singles skater did, on another thread. The snotty judges might not like a "showgirl" type of look.

Anyway, I thought the "American Idolization" of this competition was annoying. That show was almost destroyed by nonstop playing up of sob stories, and so was this competition. I feel bad for the Coughlin family, but I also feel bad for those competing against them. The announcers were visibly rooting for this team because of the dead mother and the tribute to her. There is no objectivity when Scott Hamilton is announcing.

emma

Record Breaker
^ thanks ImaginaryPogue! So nice to watch that again. It was truly lovely.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sadly, I was always under the impression that judges did unfairly criticize skaters' appearances. Wasn't Johnny Weir told not to wear a certain outfit?

the only time I recall he was told to change what he was wearing was when he showed up to the 06 olympics wearing team russia's stuff lol