Mens - Long Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Mens - Long Program

Nadine

Record Breaker
Thanks everybody for your comments & this thread! It was a JOY reading it! :love:

So HAPPY for Brian, Adrian, and the veteran KVDP!!!!! :party: :party2: :rock:

Only downside is my flatscreen gave out today, so I'm using a 46" one now that is GIGANTIC! But at least I'm able to watch & post until I buy a new one tomorrow. :)^)

Would LOVE to see Brian's FS in particular, anybody have a link?

In general I think I'm for a ban on skating to Michael Jackson. Most people on the planet look stupid trying to dance to MJ and it definitely rarely translates well to the ice. At least Florent can move well to the music - unlike Verner, sorry - but you're right and it doesn't make for good skating.
Do you remember the season of skating to Elvis Presley? There was no way those couples could reflect Presley in Dance except to over mimic him. There is a difference between mockery and homage. Skaters apparently do not know that.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
If Chan takes 8 stops in the program to emote, I'm sure he can show his critics some awesome expressions.

Except not, because Chan's capacity for emoting is nowhere near as good as Amodio's and he doesn't have the same quality of movement in his limbs either. In his SP this year, Chan TRIES to do what Amodio does and he doesn't pull it off as well.

I am so very pleased with this result. Amodio has been by far the most interesting European guy this season. The interpretive quality of his LP is phenomenal and he moves like nobody else can.

IP Thank you for the link to the LPs.

I watched the 5 skaters:

Brezina: As Lady Bracknell might say, To Fall once is regrettable, but to Fall twice is carelessness. The Euro judges are not forgiving for Falls. He skated, not his best, but so much better than the others 'in general'. Does he still have a chance for Worlds?

Amodio: I had hoped the bumps and grinds might have disappeared from this program, unless he is doing a parody of Burlesque, they should have. I don't want to see them anymore. Otherwise he made his tricks together with his rest stops.

Gatchinski: It looked all right to me but I did begin to nod off after a while. I just became bleary eyed watching. However he did his tricks a la Plushenko.

Verner, too had a ho hum skate, and his numerous combos where the second jump is a single got a bit tiresome.

v.d.Perren did a fine job for himself. Good tricks, good music timing, but he needs a choreographer to put some pep into those routines to make them come alive.

Thanks again IP, I feel better about Michal after seeing this.

IP Thank you for the link to the LPs.

I watched the 5 skaters:

Brezina: As Lady Bracknell might say, To Fall once is regrettable, but to Fall twice is carelessness. The Euro judges are not forgiving for Falls. He skated, not his best, but so much better than the others 'in general'. Does he still have a chance for Worlds?

Amodio: I had hoped the bumps and grinds might have disappeared from this program, unless he is doing a parody of Burlesque, they should have. I don't want to see them anymore. Otherwise he made his tricks together with his rest stops.

Gatchinski: It looked all right to me but I did begin to nod off after a while. I just became bleary eyed watching. However he did his tricks a la Plushenko.

Verner, too had a ho hum skate, and his numerous combos where the second jump is a single got a bit tiresome.

v.d.Perren did a fine job for himself. Good tricks, good music timing, but he needs a choreographer to put some pep into those routines to make them come alive.

Thanks again IP, I feel better about Michal after seeing this.

Whoops. I forgot Brian who skated super. He is the best competitor in Europe and he doesn't need gimmics as others do.

jan

On the Ice
Except not, because Chan's capacity for emoting is nowhere near as good as Amodio's and he doesn't have the same quality of movement in his limbs either. In his SP this year, Chan TRIES to do what Amodio does and he doesn't pull it off as well.

I am so very pleased with this result. Amodio has been by far the most interesting European guy this season. The interpretive quality of his LP is phenomenal and he moves like nobody else can.
I am sure Amodio is doing these stops to conserve energy and not just to show us his dance moves. Chan would not need to do this as his edge quality and run of the blade are far superior.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin: I'm so glad that Patrick doesn't try to do what Amodio does ( please never stop in one spot and gyrate your pelvis, Patrick ).. and I so wish Amodio would try to do more of what Patrick does .

I've only seen Brian so far, because of freezes and watching US Nats. on NBC, but I'm thrilled to see his comeback from the SP and the improvement his programs have made for him. I was never a particular fan, until he buckled down this season. Bravo!

Off to YouTube.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I am sure Amodio is doing these stops to conserve energy and not just to show us his dance moves. Chan would not need to do this as his edge quality and run of the blade are far superior.

It doesn't really matter why Amodio is doing it, the movement and performance quality and musical interpretation is exceptional. Chan can't do what Amodio does. Just as Amodio can't do what Chan does. They both deserve to score higher than each other in different areas. There are 5 Program Components and they all mean something different.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Does anybody have a link to the medal ceremony? I want to see it again!!!

Menshov said to RIA Novosti that he is very grateful to his girlfriend who helped him to skate his LP the way he did. After he failed his SP completely, she called him and said that she was flying to Bern. He assumed she was kidding him but she arrived. Aahh, Russian men are so romantic! And some Western coaches try to ban sex before competiotions. Here we have the best proof how wrong that decision can be.

In general, I did enjoy men's competition so much! The handsome podium, great sportsmenship and big excitement!

Thanks, guys!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Boy bravo to Amodio to win his first Euros, but the Lp has 30 seconds stop, it is bizare to see him standin, it is not just a breathin point!
Happy for Jouby and Tomas!!! what a come back for both! Joubert can medal when it counts!

arthur is just 17 in his first senior and he did pretty well, dont recall all your plushenko problems and tranfer them to him, ive him time to find his personal style.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
The only way a European will sneak in for bronze at Worlds is if the Japanese men all crash and burn badly under the pressure of being on home ice. I think Verner has the best shot still if he skates to his potential.

I think Verner might have a shot IF he ditches his MJ FS and goes back to the Piazolla Tango one. He always got huge PCS with that program. I didn't mind his Godfather either but I realize he probably has some bad memories associated with that one. The MJ really just does him no favors. Love his SP though! Also nice to see him deliver again here and be able to medal. He seems happy but still hungry to do better at Worlds.

jettasian

Match Penalty
It doesn't really matter why Amodio is doing it, the movement and performance quality and musical interpretation is exceptional. Chan can't do what Amodio does. Just as Amodio can't do what Chan does. They both deserve to score higher than each other in different areas. There are 5 Program Components and they all mean something different.

Ok, so making angry face = musical interpretation! Got it! Memo to Chan, PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT! YOU ARE DOING JUST MORE THAN FINE!

And after watching Chan's program and BJ's LP...BJ's skate seems so slow...or maybe it's just me.

Nadine

Record Breaker
OMG, finally watched Brian's "9th Symphony" FS just a minute ago and LOVE it! Doesn't even look like the same one he did earlier in the season, he has definitely improved by leaps & bounds! BRAVO, Brian Joubert, BRAVO! :thumbsup:

That skate can easily medal at Worlds, even Gold if he doesn't put his hand down as he did on two jumps here, also most importantly he has to skate *clean* in both the SP & FS, not just one, whereas here he didn't skate clean in the SP, thus the reason why he finished 1st in the FS, but 2nd overall. Nevertheless, BRAVO! :cool:

I'm off to watch it again! :love:

p.s. love the moment between Brian & Amodio, touching, wonderful, gorgeous, beautiful! :)^)