Ladies FS | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Ladies FS

I haven't heard of any of those, but if it's passionate or joyous, I think Rachael could pull it off!

Off topic, but did MK really skate to "Winter", as in synonymous-with-AlexeiYagudin-Winter? Where can I see it?!

Michelle's skate is on YouTube, somewhere. Probably easy to find. It never occurred to me that she was skating to Yagudin's "Winter." I'll have to check that out!

Another tune-sharing tidbit: Christina Gao skated to a section of "The Yellow River Concerto," and I believe so did Michelle years ago, maybe when she was thirteen. I can't remember whether it was the same section, though I'm inclined to doubt it. I'm not AT ALL hinting that Gao is somehow in Michelle's shadow for choosing this music. It's perhaps the most famous symphonic piece composed in China (in fact it was one of only about two pieces in Western orchestral idiom that was permitted to be performed during the Cultural Revolution). So anyone of Chinese heritage could find it a logical piece to use for a skating program. It's an interesting work, and I was happy to see it being used again.

As for Rachael, I don't know either of the pieces MK's Winter suggested, but I'll check them out. I think Slaughter on Tenth Avenue would have worked for her with different choreography. It doesn't have to be a sassy, cute piece at all. In fact, it was premiered on Broadway by Tamara Geva, one of the top ballerinas of the time, and danced in the revival by Vera Zorina. In a later revival, Natalya Makarova danced it. Not that Rachael is balletic, but I'm just saying that none of those ladies were ever classified as perky.

Last edited:

SkateSkates

Medalist
ahh gotcha. makes sense.

Actually it was because her shoulders were not parallel in the classic layback position. She either needs to get them parallel, or just go straight to the side because right now she doesn't show enough variation between the first two positions to get the level. I would recommend she go straight to the side, then back to the haircutter, then the beillman for 8. This ensures her a level 4.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks tigger, I needed to hear that as I was feeling so deflated. So, CONGRATS to our TWO TIME national champion and to Brian Boitano, among others, for helping her get there again!

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I think Agnes has all the pieces. She has HUGE jumps and a nice style. She exudes confidence and personality. But she still has some finessing to do and it would be great if she can get some more speed. I like her. It'll be interesting to watch her develop in the next year and see if she does become a force to be reckoned with. I didn't like her LP dress, but other that that, I thought there was a lot to like.

I pretty much agree. I think perhaps some people might not see her as having the total package because she does not have the typical style that seems to be preferred among several figure skating fans - balletic and super graceful. She's more energetic and powerful. Plus she is still new.

P.S. Thanks to Brian Boitano for the help he's given Alissa as well. I definitely did forget about him!

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't heard of any of those, but if it's passionate or joyous, I think Rachael could pull it off!

Off topic, but did MK really skate to "Winter", as in synonymous-with-AlexeiYagudin-Winter? Where can I see it?!

Much Ado About Nothing: Tonya Harding - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJLjdg4208k

Speed: Tara Lipinski - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTL89HVxaTQ / Tanja Szweczenko - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj9q7UOqwQ8

Winter by Tori Amos: I can't find a vid of MK's program, but her most memorable skate of it was at the 1997 Worlds exhibition. Here is the song's demo set to the official video for the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agwv8KZw8Q4&playnext=1&list=PL5F57FD1EF6B7D7D9

Layfan

Record Breaker
I guess I wanted to put that out about Alissa because most people are so crazy about her. Layfan has a point about the international judges but Alissa and Worlds... the two things just don't go together. Well, hope she'll prove me wrong.

Sorry, I'm in a bad mood because of Ashley and Mirai. :cry:

Fascinating how split the opinions are about Agnes. Some see her as the complete package already, others as awkward and without polish. Put me in the first camp.

I'm grouchy about Mirai, too.

I really liked Agnes tonight. Actually, I might want to rewatch her program tonight too, along with Alissa's.

Tonight, I liked Agnes better than Christina. What Agnes has is ice presence. I think Christina is still working on that. On a side note, I think Christina should lose the bangs. It sort of adds to her awkwardness.

Trewyn

Medalist
Yay! Alissa won!!! Her skate was amazing! It definitely took away some of the pain I'd felt after Ashley's bad result.

Is there any other competition they can send Ashley to? Worlds: Alissa and Rachael; 4CC: Alissa, Rachael, Mirai, but I'm halfway expecting Alissa to decline that spot and then it'll go to Agnes, I guess. I'm so sad Ashley's season is likely over :(

prettykeys

Medalist
Congrats to Alissa for being US Champion again. :) What a beautiful, serene skate. (the bf's high-def TV is pretty amazing--I could see her individual eyelashes before and after her skate :eek:) She's having a great season. And thanks to Tigger for mentioning Boitano's role in re-motivating her! Good for him, and good for Alissa.

Congrats to Rachael, as well, although I honestly did think Mirai would get second. I must admit I am a little heartbroken for her, she seemed so dejected. Definitely was not expecting the slip on the spin. Big hugs for Mirai.

I wasn't able to catch the others before...will have to check on YouTube.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I pretty much agree. I think perhaps some people might not see her as having the total package because she does not have the typical style that seems to be preferred among several figure skating fans - balletic and super graceful. She's more energetic and powerful. Plus she is still new.

Ballerinas are not the only dancers out there. I see Agnes as a very good dancer on ice even if she doesn't remind me of a ballerina. Grace isn't just about softness. You have to be graceful to be good jazz dancer too. It's nice to see a power skater among the American ladies. You know - someone like Irina and Midori. Okay, I know Agnes can't be compared to them but just trying to think of examples of skaters who weren't balletic that I alwasy enjoyed...
Irina and Midori btw were no slouches in the spin department... just like Agnes :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
i came back after updatin the euro thread to see who won in men, here it is ended the competition?

Tigger, thanks for the insights on Alissa. She sounds like such a nice person, which only adds to my enjoyment of her skating. And she seems like a mature person, in all aspects but her own view of herself. Isn't it wonderful that she's had such a steadily good year. So the Nationals win isn't a fluke or because she's the only one left standing, but really a culmination of all she's done up to this competition.

I'm also pleased that we seem to have at least two up-and-comers in Agnes and Christina. It's been a while since we've had such a strong jumper in the U.S. Can I dare to dream?

Ambivalent said:
Off topic, but did MK really skate to "Winter", as in synonymous-with-AlexeiYagudin-Winter?

No, Michelle skated to the Tori Amos song. I believe this was the program that she choreographed herself in honor of a friend who had passed away (which would fit the lyrics).

Yagudin, four years later, skated to a completely different song, by the pop-classical string quartet Bond.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol, I just knew things weren't going to go good today (my flatscreen going out was the first sign). (8^/ Especially after such a WONDERFUL night of Mens Skating last night! Ahhhh.....

And then Scott & Sandra, flashback to the 2002 Olympics & the 2010 Olympics, :(:(:(:(

Horrible night of ladies skating imho..........only bright spot was Agnes Zawazki & Christina Gao..........Ashley bombs, Rachael bombs, Mirai bombs, etc. Only safe skate was of course Czisny. She is who we have to lead American Ladies Skating for the next 3 years up until Sochi. Then again I keep thinking of champions in the past whom played it safe and won ~ Arawkawa at the 2006 Olympics ~ Joannie Rochette won the bronze landing all her triple jumps, something that I feel Alissa can do because even if she won't get +GOE on her jumps, her spins & spirals can make up for it. I mean if Jeff Buttle, et al, can win Worlds then so can Alissa Czisny. Now it's not about jumps, just spins, spirals, footwork, transitions, speed, jumps are starting to be an afterthought with COP. Nowadays you can fall on 1, 2, 3 jumps and still win, so it's anybody's game, including Alissa Czisny's.

Now I don't even feel very joyful about Agnes, though I love how she reminds me of Tonya Harding, but taller, more lithe, with greater potential when it comes to presentation, but OMG those thighs & slightly bowed legs are *exactly* like Tonya's, spooky, spooky. Lol in fact I didn't even notice the slightly bowed legs until tonight, as bowed legs are not the prettiest imho, but hers are not as bad as some. Hmmm, will have to look at pics of champions of the past, but I'm wondering if hers are a tad less than Irina Slutskaya's, but most definitely less than Midori Ito's, more like Tonya Harding's. Funny how these great jumpers have slightly bowed legs???? Okay, I'm starting to get excited again, if jumps ever make a comeback again wherein TES is valued more than PCS, then she does have a shot, but she has her work cut out for her, same with Gao. :)

And here's hoping Alissa & Rachael finally earn 3 spots back for the USA! :thumbsup:

loop9497

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Ballerinas are not the only dancers out there. I see Agnes as a very good dancer on ice even if she doesn't remind me of a ballerina. Grace isn't just about softness. You have to be graceful to be good jazz dancer too. It's nice to see a power skater among the American ladies. You know - someone like Irina and Midori. Okay, I know Agnes can't be compared to them but just trying to think of examples of skaters who weren't balletic that I alwasy enjoyed...
Irina and Midori btw were no slouches in the spin department... just like Agnes :)

Oh, I agree with you for sure. It's the same argument among gymnastics fans, too - a lot of people don't like the powerful/upbeat dancers and don't consider routines that aren't balletic as artistic. Though I do enjoy soft and delicate routines, I also enjoy a strong performance with a different type of dance. As long as the program has good, fleshed out choreography and the person puts a lot into the performance (which I feel Agnes does), I think it shouldn't matter the style of the routine. Of course people have preferences, which is fine, but thinking someone isn't a good dancer because they aren't balletic isn't too fair, IMO. And I think Agnes definitely delivers that.

Again, not saying everyone who doesn't like her style or thinks she needs work sees it like that, but I think it may affect how some think.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
I do not believe that Rachel or Miri are the future for American Ladies skating or that they are going to challenge for medals in Sochi, it will be Agnes who will challenge for an olympic medal, and will get the American ladies BACK on the podium.

Oh, I agree with you for sure. It's the same argument among gymnastics fans, too - a lot of people don't like the powerful/upbeat dancers and don't consider routines that aren't balletic as artistic. Though I do enjoy soft and delicate routines, I also enjoy a strong performance with a different type of dance. As long as the program has good, fleshed out choreography and the person puts a lot into the performance (which I feel Agnes does), I think it shouldn't matter the style of the routine. Of course people have preferences, which is fine, but thinking someone isn't a good dancer because they aren't balletic isn't too fair, IMO. And I think Agnes definitely delivers that.

Again, not saying everyone who doesn't like her style or thinks she needs work sees it like that, but I think it may affect how some think.

I was actually thinking along those lines when I watched Agnes. I thought she had really satisfying musicality that went with the folk spirit of the music. She hasn't perfected it, but she's got it inside her, and I'd be happy to have that kind of style represent us internationally. Everything doesn't have to be ballet, though as we've said before, a ballet background can give skaters a vocabulary of movement that helps them execute all sorts of moves more effectively. In any case, whatever Agnes is doing works for her.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Exactly. I have a weakness for pretty ballet lines but I love the variety that skating offers and I always enjoyed Midori and Irina for instance. And now Agnes.

Also see Agnes as someone who can develop a personal and recognizable style, which also something that's hard to put your finger on but you know it when you see it.

Horrible night of ladies skating imho...

Oh, baloney. ;) That was great. Alissa was wonderful. Agnes was super, along with Vanessa Lam. I liked Siraj, also Joelle Forte. True, Mirai didn't have her usual spark and Rachael was only OK. Well, onward and upward!