What happened to...? | Golden Skate

What happened to...?

brightphoton

Medalist
Laney Diggs has an injury, and Bebe retired after the last Olympic qualifier. I think she's going to college now or something.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is Kimmie Meisner still thinking about comeback?

Last edited:

dupagegal

Rinkside
Do you know whatever happened to Dee Dee Leng and Angela Maxwell?
Dee Dee is no longer skating. Lost her desire to compete......I think her coach and approach had a lot to do with it.

Angela Maxwell seemed to loose her way on the way to New Jersey. She is unreachable now and I don't mean by cell phone.

dupagegal

Rinkside
Carolyn Ann Alba, Bebe Liang, and Laney Diggs?:confused:

Carolyn Ann Alba is still skating junior singles in So. Ca. She moved from Colorado after her pairs partnership perished with Chris Kinerim. Carolyn is a beautiful girl but just a tad big for pairs.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Looking for a pair's partner, apparently.

Seriously?! But who outside of novice/junior ladies can Stephen Carriere lift and throw properly? Even Rockne Brubaker is considered small for a male pairs skater and Carriere is quite a bit shorter than Brubaker.

sidwich

Rinkside
Seriously?! But who outside of novice/junior ladies can Stephen Carriere lift and throw properly? Even Rockne Brubaker is considered small for a male pairs skater and Carriere is quite a bit shorter than Brubaker.

Well, Rudy Galindo is around the same size as Carriere and was able to make it work with Kristi Yamaguchi, so it is possible. There were a lot of limitations to their pairs skating because of their size, but they did climb to 5th in the World which is still better than many of the U.S. pairs champs that have followed them. (Yes, I do realize that most skaters aren't Yamaguchi and Galindo, but I'm just saying it's at least possible in theory).

Going back further, I don't think Ken Shelley or Randy Gardner were big guys, and JoJo Starbuck and Tai Babilonia would be considered Amazons these days. Times were different then, though...

dupagegal

Rinkside
Ok I have a few what ever happened questions.

First.... What the heck is Drew Meekins doing? He has been on Icepartner search for a long time. It's says since 10/10 but he updated it. It's more like two years! So he does this Sarah and Drew on line article blog thing about skaters. He was a fairly decent pairs guy. He couldn't jump to save his life but he has skills? So ever since he left Julia Vlassov he has been going down hill. I wonder that's up with that?

What happened to Elliot Halverson? You talk about an excellent skater that fell off the edge of the earth it's Elliot. He had all his tripples in Novice and Junior. He was a great skater. All of a sudden no Elliott.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

I think he could be a good partner for Kiri Baga if she had any interest in doing pairs, she's only 5 ft I think. I think she could go a lot farther in pairs than singles, too.

He could probably lift Yasmin Siraj, she's soo tiny! But she's doing really well in singles so it might be smarter for her to stay put.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think he could be a good partner for Kiri Baga if she had any interest in doing pairs, she's only 5 ft I think. I think she could go a lot farther in pairs than singles, too.

He could probably lift Yasmin Siraj, she's soo tiny! But she's doing really well in singles so it might be smarter for her to stay put.

Ha! True. She's 13 though. Or is it 14? I expect she won't be that tiny for that long.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Ha! True. She's 13 though. Or is it 14? I expect she won't be that tiny for that long.

She's 14. She'll likely grow more, but if she is that small at 14, I doubt she's ever going to be very big. Stephen should be able to find a partner, it might just mean he ends up with someone a lot younger.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I just came across this thread and thought I would provide answers about these skaters:

Stephen Carriere: Last I heard he is no longer considering skating pairs and has gone back to singles. He performed a solo exhibition in the Skating Club of Boston's "Ice Chips" shows this weekend.

Carolyn Ann Alba: She returned to Southern California and singles skating (coached Tammy Gambill), competed in Senior Ladies and placed 5th at Pacific Coast Sectionals (1st alternate to Nationals) in November 2010.

Bebe Liang: She is coaching in El Segundo, California (I assume she is also in college?) and will be skating a duet with Braden Overett today at the "Skaters Care" benefit show in Ontario, Calif.

Laney Diggs: She is a full-time undergraduate at UC Berkeley in California and competed in Senior Ladies in the U.S. Intercollegiate Team Championships last month.

Kimmie Meissner: She is scheduled to perform in "Skate for Love," a one-night-only cancer benefit show at Mennen Sports Arena in Morristown, New Jersey, on April 16 at 7:00 p.m. along with Emily Hughes and Nicole Bobek. Event site: http://www.skateforlove.org/

Eliot Halverson: His last Nationals appearance was in 2009 (13th in Senior Men) followed that fall by the 2009 JGP in Belarus (5th place). He has been injured (back?) for the past 2 seasons and unable to compete at Regionals/Sectionals.