Gala? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gala?

This exhibition reminds me how impressed I was with Evora and Ladwig last year. I'm so glad they continued to do well this year. I also felt that the programs of the two "should-have-won" singles skaters, Abbott and Nagasu, were really beautifully choreographed and skated, probably the best of the bunch. And our ice dancers rock!

ivy

On the Ice
This exhibition reminds me how impressed I was with Evora and Ladwig last year. I'm so glad they continued to do well this year. I also felt that the programs of the two "should-have-won" singles skaters, Abbott and Nagasu, were really beautifully choreographed and skated, probably the best of the bunch. And our ice dancers rock!

Totally agree

E & L totally brought it - lot's of technical stuff and great skating - felt a little like an audition for 'Disney on Ice' though - but really nice

During Jeremy's skate I wondered if he had spent a little less time choreographing and perfecting this program and a little more time on his long program, would he be going to worlds? This program would have felt so different if he be skating as Nat'l champ. Oh well woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Thanks for the links DorisP - look forward to watching my faves again

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting your impressions and then the links, Doris!

I watched Mirai, Jeremy, and Evan. Really loved Mirai and Jeremy, but especially Jeremy. The whimsy style really fits him. Kudos to him on his first piece of choreo.

All I can say is I hope Mirai and Jeremy both to great at 4CC. I just can't get over that our two most talented singles skaters psyched themselves right off the world team. :disapp:

I enjoyed Evan's tango much more than I thought I would. I haven't much liked his show skating so far but this one I enjoyed well enough. It's hard not to be impressed with his energy and how fit he is a year after his last competition. I also liked his footwork sequences - for once, the arm work mostly emphasized what he was doing with his feet. Perhaps he could hold back a tad more in some parts, but... overall nice choreo if not one for the ages.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
This one was of the best galas in a long time. I liked nearly all of the programs. My favourite was Ryan Bradley's though, especially the backflip with a twist.

Doris! Thanks so much for the summary and the links. Now I can go back and savor everything, and I'll even know what the music is. That Willy Wonka song that Ryan skated to was unfamiliar to me until I heard it in a lovely commercial recently, and I fell in love with it. I thought I'd never be able to figure out where it came from. Now I not only get to listen to it any time I want, I even know its name!

Layfan

Record Breaker
Ryan's program was the bomb. They're something so special about a performer who let's you know there is no place he's rather be than right here entertaining you.

Makes me glad USA is sending him to worlds.

They sure are, Chem. I'm impressed with her spreadeagles and Ina Bauer every time I see them. Beautiful line and flow.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It particularly impresses me that her butt isn't sticking out when she does the spread eagles, as so many ladies' butts do. In fact, I'm not sure if any current lady has better spread eagles than Rachael?

Alissa can't tuck her butt in, for example.

sunny0760

On the Ice
It particularly impresses me that her butt isn't sticking out when she does the spread eagles, as so many ladies' butts do. In fact, I'm not sure if any current lady has better spread eagles than Rachael?

I think Rachael's spread eagles are her signature move. Among current ladies, who has the better ones than she?????

If there is none in current ladies, who had the best ones in the past? I am curious.

Jonathan Cassar is the one who let me know how beautiful men's spread eagles are and I think Ross Miner's were pretty good too.

Any other examples? Maybe North Americans traditionally have strength in that area?

Doris, thank you for the links. I am impressed by them. So much energy, diversity, excitement and dramas. Wow, I like most of them and envy US fans.

Behind the scenes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTj3xQrZOt0&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
I have a recollection of Boitano doing a professional program that was based almost entirely on spreadeagles. Anyone else remember it? He was known for them, as was Peggy Fleming. One specialty move sequence of hers was the spreadeagle-double axel-spreadeagle, which I think even today would get high marks.

I used to love the move Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze did, where she did a spreadeagle and he glided along with her. I seem to recall the opposite configuration in the ice dancers Klimova and Ponomarenko, in which he did a spreadeagle and she drifted along embracing him.

sunny0760

On the Ice
I have a recollection of Boitano doing a professional program that was based almost entirely on spreadeagles. Anyone else remember it? He was known for them, as was Peggy Fleming. One specialty move sequence of hers was the spreadeagle-double axel-spreadeagle, which I think even today would get high marks.

I used to love the move Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze did, where she did a spreadeagle and he glided along with her. I seem to recall the opposite configuration in the ice dancers Klimova and Ponomarenko, in which he did a spreadeagle and she drifted along embracing him.

Thank you so much, Olympia!!! I will look for them.

Layfan

Record Breaker

Alissa seems to have trouble completely straightening her standing leg on some moves. It doesn't really take away from her spirals or spins but from her spread eagles it does a bit. It could be a structural thing.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Paul Wylie had beautiful spread eagles along with Brian Boitano (& yes, I remember Brian's program based on spread eagles.)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
What I'm actually wondering is why they showed the Novice champions and not the Juniors (Courtney Hicks and Max Aaron). I really wanted to see if Courtney would do her spin that everyone keeps mentioning, and there's rarely Junior videos on YouTube.

I can't do IceNetwork because even if I bought it, the streaming quality on my college internet is horribly bad more often than not.

Paul Wylie had beautiful spread eagles along with Brian Boitano (& yes, I remember Brian's program based on spread eagles.)

Oh, my goodness! How could I not have mentioned Paul! Thanks for putting the spotlight on him. His line and extensions are so wonderful, and he's one of my favorites ever. When I need an uplift, I watch his Olympic long program to the music from Henry V. He also has a wonderful Ina Bauer and tremendous footwork. I always thought highly of the Scotvolds as coaches when I watched his meticulous technique, and I'm so grateful he peaked during the era when pro skating was so popular, because we got to see him for so many rewarding years.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Oh, my goodness! How could I not have mentioned Paul! Thanks for putting the spotlight on him. His line and extensions are so wonderful, and he's one of my favorites ever. When I need an uplift, I watch his Olympic long program to the music from Henry V. He also has a wonderful Ina Bauer and tremendous footwork. I always thought highly of the Scotvolds as coaches when I watched his meticulous technique, and I'm so grateful he peaked during the era when pro skating was so popular, because we got to see him for so many rewarding years.

That's one of my uplift programs, too. :)

Binthere

On the Ice
What I'm actually wondering is why they showed the Novice champions and not the Juniors (Courtney Hicks and Max Aaron).

NBC loves the 'cute' factor of novice it would seem. Can't really remember the last time a junior champion made the network TV broadcast. Seems there is always a cute little jumping bean to highlight. At least they did broadcast a 2 hour show with almost all of it actual skating.