Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST) | Page 32 | Golden Skate

Senior Men's LP (starts at 4pm EST)

I usually do not debate TES but Bradley's LP raises a lot of questions for me.

I don't see anything to question about the judges' scores on the elements. He got -2.43 GOE for each of his two quads. Well, possibly it should have been -3, but he did stay on his feet. Other than that he got small positive GOEs (none as much as 1.0) for a pretty good 3A, a pretty good 3A+3T (the 3T was added on the fly, according to Scott Hamilton), a pretty good 3Lz, a pretty good 3Lo, and a pretty good 3S+2T+2t. Nothing great, but scores like +0.43, etc. He also picked up a few more tenths on some of his non-jump elements. The judges didn't love him, but they didn't hammer him either.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I question whether an ISU technical panel would have found both of Bradley's quads <. Bradley had a step out on his 3A and on the 3T he tacked onto the second 3A, and both of those jumps got +GOE from the US judges; I think ISU judges would definitely give him -GOE on both. Let's face it: Bradley's jumps, spins and footwork aren't of the highest quality.

Internationally, his TES would be a lot lower for the FS skated the way he skated it, and of course his PCS scores would be a lot lower as well.

Many men at Euros landed clean quads in the FS, including Joubert, Verner, Menshov, Van Der Perren, Gachinski and Fernandez, and several of the men who didn't have quads consistently get higher PCS scores than Bradley has ever gotten. Add in Chan, Takahashi, Kozuka and Oda and a top 10 finish for Bradley doesn't seem likely---especially if he doesn't skate a lot better at Worlds than he did at Nationals.

I just hope the US can hold onto 2 spots for 2012 Worlds.

Last edited:

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Uh, the second quad would have been OK, I think. And Bradley can deliver high quality jumps, so I strongly disagree there.

Agreed on the spins and footwork.

His SS and T will be a lot lower, I agree there. The other parts of the PCS will depend on how "on" he is at worlds.

Oh, and if he delivers two clean programs, I guarantee he will be in the top ten.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
Uh, the second quad would have been OK, I think. And Bradley can deliver high quality jumps, so I strongly disagree there.

Agreed on the spins and footwork.

His SS and T will be a lot lower, I agree there. The other parts of the PCS will depend on how "on" he is at worlds.

Oh, and if he delivers two clean programs, I guarantee he will be in the top ten.

I don't know.. His jumps are big but no flow at all on the landings. I wouldn't call them high quality jumps.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Not really, the notable absences last year were men who weren't competing at the 2009 Worlds. Neither Lambiel or Plushenko were there. Oda was in the 2010 Worlds but bombed. It is only Evan and Johnny who skipped but since they are Americans, their placements would be inconsequential to how Adam or Jeremey ended up. So the 2010 Worlds turned out to be a fairly comparable year to the previous Worlds minus the notable American skaters who decided to skip the event.

But the point is that Jeremy and Adam might not have have placed as high as they did had Johnny or Evan been there. So it's valid to point out that they were 5th and 6th in a watered down field.

On the other hand - isn't that exactly the same field we will have this year? The same guys will be missing. I suppose the difference is that some skaters have made strides, like Chan and Amodio. The Americans not so much.

mskater93

Record Breaker
What is this nonsense about peaking at a certain time? If you're well trained, you should do what you're trained to do.

We've already had this discussion several times in several threads. The goal is to peak at your most important competition. That means you structure your season's training so that you are at your strongest for THAT competition. Abbott in the last 2 years has structured his training to peak at Nationals and then has had less-than-stellar skates at Olympics/Worlds. You can't be at your best for competitions all the time, it's just not possible. Look at the one season Joubert won everything in sight and then he started having physical problems and so on.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Abbott was actually better than Weir the final 2 seasons of Weirs career.

Abbott in 08-09 and 09-2010 achieved 2 U.S titles, GP title, Skate Canada title, 5th at Worlds

Weir in 08-09 and 09-2010 achieved 1 U.S bronze, 2 GP final bronzes, 6th at Olympics

Weir is being built up into something he is not in this thread. He was only the 3rd U.S man at best behind Lysacek and Abbott his final 2 seasons. And seeing how Weir peaked in his skating at the 2010 Olympics it probably was all downhill from there had he even continued. If Weir had competed at the 2010 Worlds instead of Rippon (since Bradley was over Rippon at Nationals) quite possibly Weir would have not skated as well as in Vancouver and been lower than 8th and the U.S lost 3 spots. And since Weir had to skate the performances of his life to only come 6th in Vancouver that was an easily possible scenario.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just trying to remember the sequence of events, though, did Abbott really start talking about training to peak at Worlds on his own, or was it only after the Carroll-Lysacek PR campaign where they, after nationals the previous two seasons, started explaining that peaking at Worlds/Olympics rather than Nationals was their plan, to make it seem they were right on schedule and anyone would be silly to try to peak at Nationals. After that, didn't it kind of snowball or morph into Jeremy peaks too early? Or did Jeremy and his team initiate the "I've been peaking too early" talk? Because again I remember it as a PR move on Carroll's part to make it seem like good strategy for Evan and something they planned, as if finishing second at Nationals was actually a GOOD thing. ??

Layfan

Record Breaker
Abbott was actually better than Weir the final 2 seasons of Weirs career.

Abbott in 08-09 and 09-2010 achieved 2 U.S titles, GP title, Skate Canada title, 5th at Worlds

Weir in 08-09 and 09-2010 achieved 1 U.S bronze, 2 GP final bronzes, 6th at Olympics

Weir is being built up into something he is not in this thread. He was only the 3rd U.S man at best behind Lysacek and Abbott his final 2 seasons. And seeing how Weir peaked in his skating at the 2010 Olympics it probably was all downhill from there had he even continued. If Weir had competed at the 2010 Worlds instead of Rippon (since Bradley was over Rippon at Nationals) quite possibly Weir would have not skated as well as in Vancouver and been lower than 8th and the U.S lost 3 spots. And since Weir had to skate the performances of his life to only come 6th in Vancouver that was an easily possible scenario.

I agree Jeremy was the better skater last year but it doesn't matter if you don't deliver and Johnny delivered at the Olympics and the GPF. Jeremy didn't. You can't possibly know how he would have done at worlds. nobody can.

Just trying to remember the sequence of events, though, did Abbott really start talking about training to peak at Worlds on his own, or was it only after the Carroll-Lysacek PR campaign where they, after nationals the previous two seasons, started explaining that peaking at Worlds/Olympics rather than Nationals was their plan, to make it seem they were right on schedule and anyone would be silly to try to peak at Nationals. After that, didn't it kind of snowball or morph into Jeremy peaks too early? Or did Jeremy and his team initiate the "I've been peaking too early" talk? Because again I remember it as a PR move on Carroll's part to make it seem like good strategy for Evan and something they planned, as if finishing second at Nationals was actually a GOOD thing. ??

Not really sure what the difference is. Can't blame Evan or Frank for what Jeremy did at nationals this year. Skaters are always talking about peaking and trying to put a good spin on things when things don't go as planned.

After her second place finish, Rachael Flatt also said at the news conference Saturday that she hopes to peak at worlds. Evan didn't invent that kind of talk.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
^ I guess for me the difference is whether a pattern was really occurring or if something was latched onto as an explanation after the fact that really wasn't a true explanation. In other words, has Jeremy truly peaked too early due to his training plan, formulated in advance, or is he just inconsistent, but the peaking too early theory sounded good and seemed like something they could change or control? The link to Lysacek-Carroll is, Carroll served the "peak too early" theory as something his athlete would never do, and Abbott's team decided, after disappointing World/Oly results, to take that ball and keep it in play: "Yes, yes, that's right, I've been peaking too early -- all I have to do is quit peaking too early and all will be well."

Of course these things are multifactorial and maybe part of it truly was that Jeremy's training had him peaking too early. But again it seems more an explanation after the fact that has kind of taken on a life of its own to me.

I suppose it's kinda academic -- again unless, as I feel, it's just more that Abbott is plain inconsistent, not that he peaks too early. But mentally, maybe the peaking too early theory helped him with his confidence, made him feel again that things could be under his control if he would just quit peaking too early.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ I guess for me the difference is whether a pattern was really occurring or if something was latched onto as an explanation after the fact that really wasn't a true explanation. In other words, has Jeremy truly peaked too early due to his training plan, formulated in advance, or is he just inconsistent, but the peaking too early theory sounded good and seemed like something they could change or control? The link to Lysacek-Carroll is, Carroll served the "peak too early" theory as something his athlete would never do, and Abbott's team decided, after disappointing World/Oly results, to take that ball and keep it in play: "Yes, yes, that's right, I've been peaking too early -- all I have to do is quit peaking too early and all will be well."

Of course these things are multifactorial and maybe part of it truly was that Jeremy's training had him peaking too early. But again it seems more an explanation after the fact that has kind of taken on a life of its own to me.

I suppose it's kinda academic -- again unless, as I feel, it's just more that Abbott is plain inconsistent, not that he peaks too early. But mentally, maybe the peaking too early theory helped him with his confidence, made him feel again that things could be under his control if he would just quit peaking too early.

Jeremy's training got off to a slow start this year because of his boot issues. So he kept saying, well, maybe that's a good thing because I'll peak at worlds. It never occurred to him that he would not make the team. I think Jeremy's constant talk about when to peak this year and giving us a laundry list of reasons why he is more confident is a sign that Jeremy still overthinks everything.

emma

Record Breaker
^ I don't know the exact timing, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Carroll-Lysacek "PR" made it easier for other skaters to use this language or explain this approach in press conferences or sound bits, after all, it appears that it worked well for Evan last year. And like Evan the year before that, Jeremy had an absolutely fabulous - amazing - FS at nationals, one for the ages, and he sort of ran out of competitive gas after that (although it is also entirely possible that he was also just ridiculously nervous or only nervous and not "really" out of gas). But, I think what I'm saying is two things: a) athletes do plan peaks, although each sport has different kinds of needs and methods (i was amazed to learn how swimmers plan for competitions, for example); and b) athletes adopt a competitive strategy that includes what they say in their inner circle and what they say publicly as the season goes on. I suspect that Yuka and jason were trying to pace jeremy or help him pace himself (I also worry that a lot is going on with that boot problem (that, as others have pointed out, might be an injury), unfortunately, it just didn't work out. Part of me is hoping that he keeps this LP (a la Chan) and works at it and brings it fresh and clean (with full body health) and a quad next year.

And you know what? If Jeremy is going to goof up at a Nationals and get bumped off the World team, better he does it in the post-Olympic year, and maybe learns from it in time to be ready for next time and even for Sochi if he decides to stay in that long.

Layfan

Record Breaker
^ I don't know the exact timing, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Carroll-Lysacek "PR" made it easier for other skaters to use this language or explain this approach in press conferences or sound bits, after all, it appears that it worked well for Evan last year. And like Evan the year before that, Jeremy had an absolutely fabulous - amazing - FS at nationals, one for the ages, and he sort of ran out of competitive gas after that (although it is also entirely possible that he was also just ridiculously nervous or only nervous and not "really" out of gas). But, I think what I'm saying is two things: a) athletes do plan peaks, although each sport has different kinds of needs and methods (i was amazed to learn how swimmers plan for competitions, for example); and b) athletes adopt a competitive strategy that includes what they say in their inner circle and what they say publicly as the season goes on. I suspect that Yuka and jason were trying to pace jeremy or help him pace himself (I also worry that a lot is going on with that boot problem (that, as others have pointed out, might be an injury), unfortunately, it just didn't work out. Part of me is hoping that he keeps this LP (a la Chan) and works at it and brings it fresh and clean (with full body health) and a quad next year.

That's such a good idea about him keeping his LP. It's a beautiful program and it's such a pity that he was never able to deliver it perfectly.

I guess he still has 4CC. It would be so fabulous if Jeremy won 4CC and ended his year that way.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I like Jeremy this year's LP, but I wish that he won't keep it for next year. If any old programs that he should go back to, it would be his LP in Olympic year. As I said many times before, this year's LP was simple, particularly simple between the elements. Jeremy has the ability to have much more complicated footworks and sophisticate moves to showcase his skating skills and transitions which not many in the world could do, in the meantime, with his superior musicality. This LP failed to do that.

As of peaking too early, I think last a couple of years, Jeremy has peaked at the right time in his plan.

In 2008-09, Nationals was Jeremy's No.1 goal because he has never won that at the time. He got it. In 2009-10, go to the Olympics and be an Olympian was his dream ever since he was a little kid. He had to do everything and made sure that he could. There was no back up, either in or lose the chance of a lifetime, probably, forever. So he did everything to make sure that he could be on the Olympic team. His team helped with correct plan to fulfill it. He did it beautifully and his dream came true. After that? He has never had a real plan in the back of his mind about what to do after he's reached his lifetime dream. And he doesn't have the mental, and maybe physical stamina like Yagudin or Plushenko. So he couldn't hold on and continue the peak at the Olympics.

This year, his No.1 goal is a Worlds medal. Of course, he'd love to have three National titles in his pocket. But it's not his focus this time. So he didn't put his greatest effort mentally and physically into it. Thought that he could get away with it like what Lysacek did last year. Even on the ice during the LP, even at K&C after the LP, I personally believe that, he was still thinking that he could get away with it and somehow stay on the podium.:cry: Not being able to go to the Worlds has totally ruined his plan. I bet he has never ever prepared for this, not even in dreams.

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I agree Jeremy was the better skater last year but it doesn't matter if you don't deliver and Johnny delivered at the Olympics and the GPF. Jeremy didn't. You can't possibly know how he would have done at worlds. nobody can.

I didnt say anything about the events Weir beat Abbott at. And I said nothing about what ifs or disregard for Abbotts inconsistency. Abbotts overall record was still better than Weir. He won 4 events, Weir won none those 2 seasons. A GP final title is better than 2 bronzes, 2 U.S titles is obviously way better than a 3rd and 5th, and 5th at Worlds is really no different than 6th at the Olympics. Weir finishing above Abbott in a couple events doesnt change that. Weir was only the #3 U.S skater in 2009 and 2010.

As for Weir at Worlds while one cant know exactly how he skated, one can safely say even if he skated as he did in Vancouver (his max) he would have been fighting for places 4th downwards with Brezina, Abbott, and even Rippon. And since by that point he didnt usually skate up to that level, a very good chance he would have done worse than that.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
We've already had this discussion several times in several threads. The goal is to peak at your most important competition. That means you structure your season's training so that you are at your strongest for THAT competition. Abbott in the last 2 years has structured his training to peak at Nationals and then has had less-than-stellar skates at Olympics/Worlds. You can't be at your best for competitions all the time, it's just not possible. Look at the one season Joubert won everything in sight and then he started having physical problems and so on.

Urgh, no. Kanako Murakami won everything last year. Shen/Zhao won everything last year. Let's call it what it is: inconsistency.
If you're trained well, you should do well in your first competition as well as your last competition.
Yuna Kim peaked at TEB and then slumped and then peaked at the Olympics, was that her plan?

Layfan

Record Breaker
Urgh, no. Kanako Murakami won everything last year. Shen/Zhao won everything last year. Let's call it what it is: inconsistency.
If you're trained well, you should do well in your first competition as well as your last competition.
Yuna Kim peaked at TEB and then slumped and then peaked at the Olympics, was that her plan?

I don't know if that was Yuna's plan but Rachael said Saturday she "hopes to peak at worlds." Just saying. ;)