2011 US Ladies World Team: What to expect? | Golden Skate

2011 US Ladies World Team: What to expect?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Up and down, and up again she goes. Just when we think she's done, she reappears. 3rd, 9th, 1st, 10th and now 1st again. Yeah, you know who I'm talking about.

So Czisny claims she is a new skater now. Certainly seems so, since she's managed to win GPF and Nats, two competitions with very strong fields. Also looked focused and ready to go, even if she was freaking out inside. She wins and goes to worlds again as the national champ. Now SHOW us that you're this new skater by not crumbling under the pressure when expectations are raised.

More importantly is the significance that the 2011 world team is the SAME EXACT TEAM that we sent to LA in 2009- Czisny as national champ and Flatt in 2nd. But the circumstances could not be more different. In 2009, it really was all about Flatt and Czisny lucked into the title. Many raised the stink that Zhang should have gone instead. But this time- it's Czisny that seems to be the headliner, as the walking definition of "inconsistent" has actually been the MOST consistent of the US ladies this season. Czisny is the one who scored close to 180 at the GPF. Czisny is the one who carries the title and is expected to do well at worlds. Expectations for her have shot up with this newfound success. OTOH, Flatt has dealt with injury, and also some adversity as far as international judging goes. She had probably her worst competition ever at the GPF, but bounced back well at Nats to squeak past Nagasu and onto the world team. But this time Rachel is clearly the underdog, and expectations for her seem to be lower than they were in 2009.

So what do we expect? Do you think we have a shot at 3 spots? What do both need to do to stay in the top 10? If Czisny skates at worlds like she did at Nats, does she have a shot at a medal? And what about Four Continents? Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I have a feeling that both ladies will be somewhere in the middle of the top 10 - two spots for 2012. With no 3-3s Alissa's going to have to skate an error-free competition, even better than she did at Nationals (she turned out of the 3loop) to get a medal. She may be able to do this but I'm not sure. You never know which Alissa will show up and we've had the good one a few times in a row, but still, you never know with her. Even if Rachael skates completely clean in both programs I think the best she can hope for is like 5th. The international judges don't seem willing to give her high PCs (which they are probably right about, as she is sometimes boring, although she did skate quite passionately to East of Eden). I think Rachael is much better off with this new SP though than the old one.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
If Alyssa skates clean, she should be in the top 10 easily. How high she is depends on if the triple-triple ladies land all their harder jumps (as well as Mao, the triple-axel girl). The odds are that she'll be ahead of some of them and behind others. Remember, she has beaten all four Japanese ladies at one competition or another, and nobody's seen YuNa yet. Unless she absolutely falls apart, she shouldn't be lower than 6th or 7th.

Rachael, I don't know. I don't know why the judges dislike her so much, or if she has corrected the problem. She was faster and more musical this year, but it cost her some jump consistency. Still, barring a total disaster, she shouldn't be too low.

With two clean skates, they will be about 6th and 10th (if everyone else skates clean) and probably a few notches higher if some of their competitors make mistakes. Alissa can definitely medal, but she needs some help.

I think the above two posts are probably realistic assessments of what our two ladies can achieve. There's always the unforeseen skate of a lifetime, like Rudy Galindo in 1996 or Holly Cook and Caryn Kadavy in the years they won world bronze, and one can hope for that, but looking at the abilities and best efforts of the other world ladies, one can't get too fixated on something glittering coming home with Alissa or Rachael. Nonetheless, one can hope! At this stage that's usually the best approach, because if we could really predict the future, it wouldn't be the future. What's likely isn't always what happens.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I'd like to remind everybody that Alissa had the highest total score in international competition of any woman competing this year. It's a score that would've put her in the top 5 of the latest few Worlds competitions (podiuming in some of them), and that is ignoring the fact that spiral sequences (which Alissa excels at, alas) have been eliminated in SP and lowered in score in the FS this season (her current PB + her spirals would put her on the podium in any year of the COP). She is absolutely a podium threat if she can hold it together. She doesn't need help from the other skaters.

People are underestimating her because she doesn't do a 3/3 or a 2ax/3t to go for that vaunted 7 triple program, but they're ignoring that the +GOEs she gets on her spins, compared to the GOEs other top skaters get, adds up to about an extra 3toe in the FS, and virtually upgrades her 2t in the short to a 3. With Alissa attempting 6 triples in the FS this year, she is going for a 7 triple program in the scores. She can win even if everybody skates perfectly.

Actually, I think all these questions appliy just as well to the other ladies in the field. Will Mao dominate or crumble? Will Yu-na be the Olympic Yu-na or the "I haven't skated in a year, changed coaches, fooled around making money with shows and productions" Yu-na. Any of the top European ladies can easily out-Alissa Alissa in terms of unpredictability,

Layfan

Record Breaker
Honestly, there's only so much discussion one can have about whether Alissa and Rachael will bring it at worlds. We just can't know. We can only hope.

Easier to have a discussion about how we think they'll do if they bring it.

If Alissa brings it, I think we have to consider her a medal contender. After all, she did win the GPF. It's hardly in the bag even if she skates clean - it depends much how the others do, especially the Kim and Japanese girls.

I think Mathman is right: These worlds are unpredictable all around. Nobody's seen Yuna. Mao has been up and down and she was lovely and great at nationals but couldn't defend her title. Miki is always up and down. Murakami is new. Carolina and Kiira are always question marks. So is Cynthia Phaneuf.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
^That's true but there were major mistakes by key players, especially in the short. Her mistake in the free was really minor but wasn't enough to win the free skate. Had Miki Ando been clean, she would have won.

I'm a huge fan but Alissa really just needs to concentrate on having a focused and good skate. Let the placements be what they are. The last thing she should do is get ahead of herself and think too much about medaling.

ivy

On the Ice
Does anyone know if YuNa is going to be at 4CC? That should be a good peek at her level of readiness. I think the US ladies should be in the top 10 mix, I'm not too worried.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Yuna has said she will not be at 4CC.

Anyone know if Mirai has confirmed that she's going? She absolutely should. She should train hard and go and go for an awesome skate that would restore her faith in herself and her coach's faith in her.

I don't think top 10 will be a problem for Cizny and Flatt. Both can acquire high points. Try to analyze it.

Given Yuna and Mao hold a gold and silver in whatever order but remember both have faltered last season.

Ando looks good and the cutesy wootsie one with the two Flips will also place.

No Lady in Europe has the potential, imo.

That makes 4 possible spots taken up

If Alissa and Rachael can not fill up 5-8, 6-7, who can?

ivy

On the Ice
Thanks for the YuNa update!

Mirai BETTER go! It's her World's - she needs to have a great skate!

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Does anyone know if YuNa is going to be at 4CC? That should be a good peek at her level of readiness. I think the US ladies should be in the top 10 mix, I'm not too worried.

Phil Hersh asked the same question to Peter Oppegard, who confirmed that the plan is for Yuna to go straight to the Worlds.

http://twitter.com/olyphil

Serious Business

Record Breaker
^That's true but there were major mistakes by key players, especially in the short. Her mistake in the free was really minor but wasn't enough to win the free skate. Had Miki Ando been clean, she would have won.

Alissa's mistakes in the FS at the Grand Prix Finals weren't minor. She had a wonky landing in her 3flip, causing a UR call. She had another wonky landing in her 2axel, causing her negative GOE. But worst of all, she completely forgot the second and third jumps of her 3toe/2toe/2loop combo. Together, those mistakes cost her about 6 points.

On the other hand, Miki Ando skated her FS perfectly. Her mistakes on the technical elements (3loop downgrade + wonky landing, fall on 3flip + downgrade, wonky spin) in the SP cost her around 10 points. If they both skated perfectly, Alissa would still have won, just by a smaller margin.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I previously said that last night was going to be a defining moment in Czisny's career. Well, it was. And now, the only way it could get better is if she leads the US to get back 3 ladies spots in '12. But she'll need help from Flatt, who must also stay in the top 10. I think based on what I saw at Euros, either lady is capable of beating the field. The real competition is going to come from Asia. Although- Kostner and Korpi can threaten if they perform up to their potential, but they practically never do.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Alissa's mistakes in the FS at the Grand Prix Finals weren't minor. She had a wonky landing in her 3flip, causing a UR call. She had another wonky landing in her 2axel, causing her negative GOE. But worst of all, she completely forgot the second and third jumps of her 3toe/2toe/2loop combo. Together, those mistakes cost her about 6 points.

On the other hand, Miki Ando skated her FS perfectly. Her mistakes on the technical elements (3loop downgrade + wonky landing, fall on 3flip + downgrade, wonky spin) in the SP cost her around 10 points. If they both skated perfectly, Alissa would still have won, just by a smaller margin.

You can't really say that though because if Miki had been clean in the SP, she wouldn't have skated so early for the FS and her score would likely have been higher. Idk. To me Alissa has a shot at medaling but I'm worried about downgrades as all her triples look borderline UR. I'm also wondering if she can keep this momentum up, I'm mean she's just skated really well in the past 2 competitions, on top of skating really well at SC, so I just fear she's peaked to early. Flatt on the other hand wasn't great at nationals so I'm sure she still has gas in the tank to peak at Worlds.

Overall, I think they will both crack the top 10 and likely get us back 3 spots, but you never know. Also, Jeremy's skating this season is having me question the magic powers of Yuka and Jason, although maybe his boots are the cause of the majority of his issues this season, who knows.

Layfan

Record Breaker

I meant if Miki had skated perfectly the whole competition not just the FS. Or do you mean you think Alissa would have won even if Miki had been clean in her SP? Hmmmm. Interesting if so.