Weir considering comeback | Golden Skate

Weir considering comeback

ivy

On the Ice
I thought of him as soon as the Men's comp was over - he could have won - as could have Evan (or they could have faltered). I'd be happy to see Johnny back, if he buckled down, got serious and stopped the trash talking

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
are we to see these headlines popping up every nationals just like we normally see Tonya Harding's name in some random news article this time of year (though I haven't seen her name in any real news headline in quite a while)

ETA - that being said I really hope he does come back.. as well as Evan. I'm not ready for yet another era to end...

Nadine

Record Breaker
Hmmm, at first my initial reaction was "heck no", mainly because I'm po'ed that Ryan Bradley didn't get to go due to Johnny. BUT after reading the article my mind changed ~ I'm a sucker for Johnny when he talks like he does in this article. :) So I say YES, get on board, but please get a program, choreography, et al that plays to your strengths!!!!!

And now that Evgeni Plushenko & Mishin have officially submitted the paperwork, during the 2011 European Championships, for him to comeback next year, I'M HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! *doing the happy dance!* :party2:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
What? He's not done yet? I'm so ready and have already said good bye to him.;) Go somewhere else, Johnny, to make splash, like fashion or TV.:biggrin:

Of course, whether or not he's coming back is his own decision. Personally, I just don't want to see him skating any more.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
And now that Evgeni Plushenko & Mishin have officially submitted the paperwork, during the 2011 European Championships, for him to comeback next year, I'M HAPPY!!!!!!!!!! *doing the happy dance!* :party2:
Have they? I'm reading that Plushenko lost his ISU eligibility in 2010 for participating in an unsanctioned show, and failed to appeal within the 21 days deadline. The papers he filed here may be a belated appeal to that, but even then it could be a "just in case" thing. Then I thought maybe he let his eligibility lapsed in protest of how quads were scored, but changed his mind with the current season's changes. Then I looked up the dates: he let his appeal lapse in August of 2010, while the quad boosting was done in May. I think if Plushenko is being this much of a laggard in his eligibility appeal, he's not really enthused about it. Maybe a sponsor pushed him to it. I don't see him coming back.

I don't see Weir coming back either. He says outright in the article he knows the judges don't like him and neither do the powers that be. It's true. Once he really thinks about putting in the immense effort and money to train for eligible competition, all the while knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel, he's going to find an easier way to connect to his fans.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I thought of him as soon as the Men's comp was over - he could have won - as could have Evan (or they could have faltered). I'd be happy to see Johnny back, if he buckled down, got serious and stopped the trash talking

Yeah, I wondered that too. I wondered if that came out of him because it was right after the men's comp and he's thinking, geez, I could have regained my national title. I'd be surprised if he followed through but you never know.

I'd be even more suprised if he stopped trash talking :)

But I have to admit I kind of laughed when he pointed out that he barely beat Oda and Oda had to stop and retie his shoe. :laugh:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Plushenko, Evan, and now Johnny! Heck, this is a free country. They can say whatever they want. Meanwhile, I'll believe it when I see them show up on an actual competition! :laugh::laugh:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don't see Weir coming back either. He says outright in the article he knows the judges don't like him and neither do the powers that be. It's true. Once he really thinks about putting in the immense effort and money to train for eligible competition, all the while knowing there is no light at the end of the tunnel, he's going to find an easier way to connect to his fans.

I think that the judges (national and international ones) in CoP competitions would have appreciated his skating a lot, if he just had skated to choreographies which bring points. Everything was his own choice, wasn´t it? Ridiculous to say "the judges don´t like me"..., but of course playing the role of a victim has been his style for quite some time, in my opinion.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Have they? I'm reading that Plushenko lost his ISU eligibility in 2010 for participating in an unsanctioned show, and failed to appeal within the 21 days deadline....
yes he did send it, RF president announced it to press.
It is rather old news, but this is when we had talked about the procedure of eligibility, A LOT. He could have done it whenever he wanted. The appeal to CAS is another thing.

Weir , Lysacek, I want all back! It is hard to move to a new era, I m not ready!:laugh:

Tiana

Rinkside
Johnny wrote at his twitter (Jan 28th):
Ksusha davai @KseniaMakarova! Its funny how it happened, but I sent music to be cut for new short program today. Missing the adrenaline...
Also from Q &A at his site (today):
Q. After experiencing this year without the pressure of competition, would returning be a comforting “welcome home,” or an adjustment filled with sacrifices that are becoming less appealing? Or none of the above?

A. I miss competition so much. I don’t know if I’d be welcomed back in a homecoming sort of way, but I know my fans and many people in the skating community would be happy to see me out there doing what I’ve always done. Since I started skating late, my body may have a few years more to go before reaching full skating maturity, whereas many of my competitors started at age 2 and have been skating for 21 years and are still trying to keep up. My body has actually taken less years of skating beatings than many of the current skaters. I think the hardest part of returning will be getting into my strict regimen of no extracurricular activities. Right now I have 20 projects in the air at any given time, but to compete at an international level, you can only have one job, and that is skating. I look forward to trying to return. The short program music is edited already

lavender

Record Breaker
Evan could have won but I don't know how kind they would be to Johnny. They certainly wasn't trying to keep Jeremy on the team although he came in 2nd place in the short.

Johnny mentioned that as he watched the Nats on TV, he wished he was in the mix. I wonder if his present glitzy life is slowing down for him? He gets a moderate amount of hype even in NYC, but does it lead to stardom? I could see him coming back to figure skating where he proved to be an excellent competitor. I certainly would not object.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Good luck to him if he does want to come back, but it seems pretty low to take pot shots at Chan's flawed wins on the GP when Chan's just put out a blinder at Canadian Nationals.

Also some of the stories coming out from Johnny's own book....I don't think he's really in a position to be too critical of anyone. People in glass houses and all.

If he puts his head down and works hard (something I don't believe he did 100%in the run up to Vancouver) he could do himself proud.

Ant

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Evan could have won, Johnny could can won............anybody could have won watching the competition.

Jeremy could have and should have but he actually participated on that slippery ice.

Some people put themselves in the test. Some others need to choose between talking and doing.

Just as it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as stupid/a pig/whatever than to open it and remove all doubts, it may be better for some to keep talking than to prove themselves wrong/a whiner/whatever by actually doing it. Of course, for some others, action speaks louder than words. In that case, just do it. Show the world.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It would be nice to have an out elite level eligible skater in the US.

It would be nicer if sexual orientation has nothing to do with a skater's talents, performance, reputation, etc. It would be nicer if it does not cause pain to an athlete and/or hindrance to his/her career nor does it offer an excuse for failure or under-achievement. It would be nicer if there is no over exuberant display of hetero-, homo-, or any other kind of sexuality. (OK, this last point is just my personal preference.)

Let skaters be. And football players, ballet dancers, teachers, politicians...... Let people be who they are.

ivy

On the Ice
Of course it should have little to do with skating, or the competition. But it would be nice if they could cut to Johnny's (hypothetical) boyfriend in the arena with out causing a fuss. Just like they show other skaters partners and families.

And count me as one doesn't like flirty, sexy moves in skating programs, leave the hip waggles and crotch grabs out please. Romance is a different story - S & P's 'Love Story' - great romantic skating.